PDA

View Full Version : You Green?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-16, 10:04 PM
Are there things that you do that are good for the environment...that are intentionally FOR the environment?

I honestly make an effort to be green with a lot of things. The kicker....I don't believe in global warming....but I jsut like to take care of the environment because pollution exists and we waste so much in our lives.

I am trying to switch to 2 liter bottles of soda instead of buying cases of cans, for less waste.

If I can get away with parking my vehicle at work and walking a little more, I do it.

I take the train and bus everywhere, which I'd do anyway, but I'm actually thinking about getting a Prius. Yes, I'm straight.

Mel and I try to buy recycled paper towels and other paper products, even though they suck.

What about you?

flyboy 28
2007-08-16, 10:14 PM
You're a spitting image of my father, Phil. Everything that you said, he does too. We're actually getting a Prius at the end of this year.

I try and do my part by recycling and whatnot. You can't help sitting in traffic, but if I'm waiting in a parking lot for someone, I'll turn off the car and air conditioner and open up the windows. I'm rather conservative too, and so are my parents. We like to help out though.

Mellyrose
2007-08-16, 10:19 PM
I recycle paper/cans/bottles/etc everywhere that I can.

I print double sided and when applicable I print 2 slides per page (Powerpoints, etc). That cuts my paper use by 75%!

I flush selectively at home. I know it sounds gross, but it saves a ton of water. "If it's yellow, let it mellow....if it's brown, flush it down!"

I also turn the water off when I brush my teeth.

I share cabs when possible, otherwise I walk or take the subway.

I don't smoke.

I buy organic food when it's available.

I don't use disposable utensils/plates/cups when possible.

I use mostly recycled paper products.

I don't own a car.

I encourage others to be green! :)

RDU-JFK
2007-08-17, 08:32 AM
I also take the bus/train everywhere and do not own a car. At the office I re-use just about every piece of paper floating around on my desk. I also make an effort to keep as many lights off as possible in my house year-round.

moose135
2007-08-17, 08:54 AM
I flush selectively at home. I know it sounds gross, but it saves a ton of water. "If it's yellow, let it mellow....if it's brown, flush it down!"

TMI, Mel, TMI :shock:

T-Bird76
2007-08-17, 10:31 AM
I guess I'd say I'm just as "green" as most average Americans, although I do flush with each use, sorry Mel but....ewe ;) The problem I see with becoming "greener" is the cost. There are plenty of eco friendly options out there today but the costs to the average consumer are out of reach.

-Hybrid cars are great but at current gas prices you won't see their pay off until they turn about 60 to 70 thousand miles. Hybrids are few thousand more then other highly efficient gas only models. I'd rather save that money earn some interest on it and buy a regular Honda Civic. I'll still be using far less gas then most cars while saving money.

-Solar panels are the single best way to reduce power consumption but I don't know too many people that have $50,000 to spend on them. While you get about half back in tax incentives and rebates and over a few years they pay for themselves the cost is just way to high.

I just don't believe the gov't is doing enough to promote alternate energy means and the NIMBY's are getting in the way to. Out here on the Island they want to put wind farm off Jones Beach but people are bitching because you'll be able to see it on the horizon. A natural gas platform is slated to be built on the Long Island Sound...again the NIMBY's are up in arms. You can't convert our country half assed; we need to either put in the full effort to change.

mirrodie
2007-08-17, 11:09 AM
I try to drive green but sorry, that's my vice.

Otherwise,

-I selectively water the lawn.

-recycle paper glass and other materials at home.

-planted more than a few trees at home. used the cut trees for firewood over the winter.

-replaced a floor with bamboo flooring. Hard and nice too.

-insulating some drafty spots in the house,

-brush my teeth while I shower :mrgreen:

-any new home improvements are geared towards being more environmentally friendly.

-my parents put solar roofs on both of their homes a few years ago. It is awesome. We are also going to do the same but only when I have to replace the roof. We'll do it all in one shot. (Note to Tom, not true: If you are young, single and never home, and you are creating more energy that you use, you would be surprised. Also, we get as much sun as Hawaii. Most people balk at the expense but the long term payoff is a guaranteed.)

-not sold on flourescent bulbs though. We need dimmable bulbs and like bright 'as close as natural light' as possible. Flourescents do not accomplish this.

-use low VOC paints in the home for the flooring and walls.

-in the garden, all the leaves and vegatation that is cut is thrown into a compost heap. Makes for some very nice and rich soil.

If I think of more, I 'll post.

wunaladreamin
2007-08-17, 04:39 PM
-not sold on flourescent bulbs though. We need dimmable bulbs and like bright 'as close as natural light' as possible. Flourescents do not accomplish this.
Home Depot carries dimmable flourescents.

hiss srq
2007-08-17, 04:53 PM

I am very green after that comment.

mirrodie
2007-08-17, 05:49 PM
-and like bright 'as close as natural light' as possible. Flourescents do not accomplish this.
Home Depot carries dimmable flourescents.

just not bright

liagalinnyc
2007-08-17, 06:57 PM
-I'm a total nutter about turning things off when ur not in the room (lights, ac, tv)

-At home it's china and silverware... I couldn't tell u the last time I bought a paper plate

-Showers are quick and to the point (this also increases time spent sleeping and decreases time getting ready in the morning)

-Every plastic take-out container or water bottle is washed and re-used

-I bring my own JUMBO sack to the grocery store, saves bags and its easier to carry home on my back then holding 100000 plastic sacs

-walk, walk, walk. We live in the best city in the world for it!

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-17, 07:23 PM
Good call on the jumbo sack at the market, Lia. Mel and I should employ that method.

I didn't know about this whole "flush" thing. I sometimes forget to flush and I get yelled at, number 1 or 2.

cancidas
2007-08-17, 11:01 PM
i use this for grocery shopping:
http://www.timbuk2.com/static/images/perspectives/275/pro_mess//fall2006/4_f_bx-bx-bx.jpg

compost bin was built about 10 years ago, and we've been collecting rain water for watering the backyard since we moved in 15 or so years ago. lights go off when you're not in the room, same goes for the AC. yes, i drive but not when i can avoid it. we've been recycling paper and plastics way before the city mandated it too.

I didn't know about this whole "flush" thing. I sometimes forget to flush and I get yelled at, number 1 or 2.

i think that double standard needs to be addressed buddy...

Mellyrose
2007-08-17, 11:06 PM
We're also very good about turning lights/electronics off whenever they're not necessary. I can't believe I didn't mention that. I guess I've been doing it for so long I don't think about it.

stuart schechter
2007-08-18, 01:26 AM
Up here in the boonies, we can't not drive. It's 10 minutes to the nearest main road.

We compost, recycle(plant next to Indian Point),turn off everything in our house when we leave, we are like Mel with the toilet. Good call.

mirrodie
2007-08-18, 10:16 AM
Matt I'll ahve to ask about how you got hte coolecting rainwater set up. Its something I want to do.

Also, Im a nut turning off hte lights all the time.

mirrodie
2007-08-20, 10:40 AM
YOu know, I just thought of it this morning, does anyone here have experience with rechargeable batteries?

No one listed it.

Last time I have them was 1992, and I accidentally fried them in a socket in Italy. THey were Panasonic rechargeables.

Does anyone here know if they are indeed just as good as the Energizer and other alkaline batteries? I've never researched this.

(And we are at a point in our lives where we will be going through lots of batteries: kids toys)

moose135
2007-08-20, 12:07 PM
You know, I just thought of it this morning, does anyone here have experience with rechargeable batteries?

Use them all the time in my 30D :wink:

Actually, I do use rechargeables in a number of applications, mostly TV remotes, flashlights, mp3 player. I haven't had any real problems with them, but then I don't put real heavy use on them. I have a set of 4 AAs that I use in my Canon Speedlite, and they work very well.

lijk604
2007-08-20, 01:19 PM
Well I'll touch on the one area no one has yet.
I've made it known to family, when my time is up, no casket, small ceremony then cremation. Spread the ashes in the garden to promote good fertilizer. (Wife always says I'm full of $h*t.) LOL!
This way there is no metal box in the ground which will take eons to break down.

Mellyrose
2007-08-20, 11:56 PM
I actually use rechargeables at work, where we go through them much faster than at home.

mirrodie
2007-09-18, 04:18 PM
So since this began, wento t Hone Depot, looked for dimmable flourescent bulbs. COuldnt find them but I soubt they will give hte bright natural light that I like.

BUT one this I DID notice in all of those energystar bulbs.....a nice big warning:

CONTAINS MERCURY.

So much for being green :mrgreen:

lijk604
2007-09-18, 05:22 PM
BUT one this I DID notice in all of those energystar bulbs.....a nice big warning:

CONTAINS MERCURY.

Didn't Kermit the frog always say: "It's not easy being green"??? Maybe he was ahead of his time.