PDA

View Full Version : Lens question for Nikon D80

emshighway
2007-08-13, 02:51 PM
I see that Tamron announced the release of a AF28-300MM F/3.5-6.3 XR DI VC LD ASPHERICAL (IF) lens. This is the updated version with the vibration stabilization (they call it VC). I checked around and they are expected to be in the stores end of this month for $600.

I looked at the Nikon 80-400 but it is twice the price and have been told it didn't get good reviews.

Anyone have any other suggestions that can beat out the Tamron?

T-Bird76
2007-08-13, 08:24 PM
Check to see what Sigma has out there, I have two Sigma's and love them. Tamron is generally a good lens in their high end series like the one you mentioned.

jakbar
2007-08-14, 12:35 AM
FWIW, I have the Nikon 80-400, which has been my primary aviation lens for several years now. Notwithstanding any negative reviews it may have received (I never looked at the reviews), it has performed very well for me in a wide variety of shooting situations. I have had no problem using it to get photos published and also accepted on websites such as Airliners.net. The only downside is that it can sometimes be tough to get crisp, sharp shots when you're extended out past 350mm or so. Fortunately for me, I don't do much shooting at those really long focal lengths (the exception being the occasional HoBe departure shots).

Josh