PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Craigslist and Ebay

mirrodie
2007-08-13, 01:56 PM
Guys, I have a bunch of stuff I want to get rid of.

One's mans stuff is another man's castler right, so rather than throw it away I figured I'd sell it.

I've used ebay before but have only remotely heard of Craigslist. Has anyone here used both and can tell their experiences? Pros and cons perhaps?

T-Bird76
2007-08-13, 02:08 PM
Also look to use Amazon Market Place. I've used Amazon Market place to sell most of my college books and it works great! You set a price they pay for it you ship it, no BS about auctions or what not. I've sold and bought items off of Ebay before with no problem either. Never used Craig's list.

Matt Molnar
2007-08-13, 02:14 PM
And all this time I thought you owned Craigslist, Dr. Craig. :)

It all depends what you're selling. If you're interested in face-to-face meetings for your items, go with Craigslist. You don't have to publish your real email or your phone number...they'll give you an anonymous address which will forward emails to your real address. Just follow common sense before inviting anyone over...get their phone number, name etc.

eBay is less work...once you post your ad you're done, you don't have to arrange meetings, you can just wait for bidders and ship the item when the auction is over. Be sure to use PayPal to accept payments because waiting for someone to send you a check that might bounce is a pain in the ass.

Craigslist pros: it's absolutely free, it's all local, good for large items like appliances
Craigslist cons: you have to arrange to meet potential buyers; there is no feedback or honor system, you're truly dealing with unidentifiable strangers

eBay pros: just take photos, post a description and you're done; buyers can pay you instantly with a credit card
eBay cons: fees can get a bit high, but if you're selling something that you'd otherwise be throwing away, this doesn't matter much

emshighway
2007-08-13, 02:27 PM
Got my latest house rental off craigslist. It is good for personal sales. Ebay has a greater audience and there are checks in place to protect from scams.

mirrodie
2007-08-13, 02:39 PM
TOm threw a money wrench right in there.

Amazon Mraketplace?

Say I have a Sony 50 CD changer to sell. I really don't want to ship it. Craigslist sounds best but Amazon marketplace intrigues me and I'll have to take a look.

T-Bird76
2007-08-13, 02:46 PM
Here's another monkey wrench....why not just give it away for charity?

TOm threw a money wrench right in there.

Amazon Mraketplace?

Say I have a Sony 50 CD changer to sell. I really don't want to ship it. Craigslist sounds best but Amazon marketplace intrigues me and I'll have to take a look.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-13, 03:01 PM
Aww man. Mario has officially been guilted and has no choice....but to give it to ME!

Matt's explanation of the pros and cons of each were accurate. Depends on what you're willing to do to get rid of it and how concerned you are about the risks.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-08-13, 11:09 PM
Nothing but good experiences with Craigslist...

And hey why you're on there, why not check out the personals? Seeking another woman? Another man? Maybe both? Bondage, S & M, weird sex acts? Craigslist is the place for you!

But seriously, I've bought several items on Craigslist, and have been pleasantly surprised by them. The thing I like better about it than eBay is that you can actually go see the item, and can usually talk the person down on the price a little. The downside is that you do have to travel, but it's really not that bad...

bonanzabucks
2007-08-14, 07:31 AM
I've bought a few things on EBay and was very satisfied with the results. I have no complaints.

With Craigslist...well...been a mixed bag. I tried selling my old computer through there and the idiot who came to pick it up backed out the last minute. I did sell some old furniture through there. I also found my old apartment through Craigslist and was impressed. And I did meet my last girlfriend through CL personals. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

T-Bird76
2007-08-14, 12:10 PM
Seeking another woman? Another man? Maybe both? Bondage, S & M, weird sex acts? Craigslist is the place for you!

Matt that sounds like Midnight Mike's personal ad on Craiglists.

Midnight Mike
2007-08-14, 02:12 PM
[quote="USAF Pilot 07":6accd]Seeking another woman? Another man? Maybe both? Bondage, S & M, weird sex acts? Craigslist is the place for you!

Matt that sounds like Midnight Mike's personal ad on Craiglists.[/quote:6accd]

I would never post it on Craiglists, somebody would find out....

There was an episode of Entourage that dealt with Craiglists, the ending was hilarious... I can't post it, some Mario type words that are used!

USAF Pilot 07
2007-08-14, 05:21 PM
There was an episode of Entourage that dealt with Craiglists, the ending was hilarious... I can't post it, some Mario type words that are used!

Haha, that was great!