PDA

View Full Version : Chain link fence going up at the Mounds...

Tom_Turner
2007-08-12, 01:36 AM
Just fyi...

Chain link fence going up at the Mounds.. numerous signs.. "Visitors must check in at the Office".

Tom

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 09:34 AM
What office?

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 09:38 AM
What office?
Queens Central Booking.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-12, 11:44 AM
Nick wrote: "What office?"

Yeah, thats what I said. I took a glance..seemed to be some structure at the other end away from the mounds end... maybe it was just a tent, I don't know. I didn't even bother to really check it out. Someone was there a couple of days earlier and there was no fence at all, so its going up fast... half done when I drove by. Some guy was glaring at me from his SUV... I hadn't shot a single plane or gotten out of the car even. Nice preview of what it might be like shooting from the street.

WunalaDreamin wrote: "Queens Central Booking".

Yes, something like that.. :D I don't really have high hopes here.

Maybe I am wrong.
Sure, someone "in charge" might say, "oh, go ahead, enjoy yourself".

More likely though, its first going to be... "You want to do what?" "Why?" "Well, this is a Soccer Field" - Later it will morph into a liability issue... "Someone could fall in a ditch or the dirt, and we're sorry, but ......"

Good while it lasted...

Tom

nwafan20
2007-08-12, 11:49 AM
Wow.... I was just there Thursday..... That is nuts! I thought the mounds were public property?

AirtrafficController
2007-08-12, 12:41 PM
Could this be the end of the mounds?

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 12:49 PM
Sad, the terrorists are winning. Big time.

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 01:00 PM
Guess that means no more soccer in your golf shoes, eh Nick? Sucks, I just recovered from the fright of Jakub's strike nearly hitting me in the giggleberries.

SP-LPB
2007-08-12, 01:02 PM
Guess that means no more soccer in your golf shoes, eh Nick? Sucks, I just recovered from the fright of Jakub's strike nearly hitting me in the giggleberries.

LOLOL, owned. I was hitting the upper left corner before that strike came, it was a careless kick...

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 01:03 PM
That's what i get for makin fun of your skizzels. LOL! Upper left corner of WHAT?? My bag? LMAO

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 01:17 PM
I got to tell you if we are prevented from shooting at the mounds it goes pretty far as to our rights being trampled. I mean If we were at that spot shooting in the opposite direction at the game none of this would ever of happened. Think about it.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 01:23 PM
Nick,

How are our rights being trampled here?

How have the terrorists won in this situation?

You're assuming that this fence was put up to prevent spotters from being there. How would you know that's the case.

That field is often used by young people at night to hang out. I think it's probably more to prevent the "public" park to be a haven for underage drinking and illegal activity come nightfall. Who knows what goes on there when spotters aren't present. there could have been a crime or incident there recently.

What does terrorism have to do with it?

Either way, there's a park a block before the mounds right before you make that last turn. I think it's a great place to hang out. It's prettier, you're in the shade, you have a great variety of angles to position yourself for, and it's a real park.

Even if this was the end of the Mounds, we have an easy alternative.

SP-LPB
2007-08-12, 01:24 PM
Until now no one playing on the pitch ever had a problem, only recently paranoia sprung about the place.

AirtrafficController
2007-08-12, 01:25 PM
Phil has lifted our spirits! The mounds was a great site for planespotting but as all things come to and end. The memories, aircrafts, great light, and bugs will always be remembered. So long the Mounds!

BTW: Do you know the name of the park Phil?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 01:27 PM
I forget the name but I've spotted there before and it's wonderful. No ticks, either.

AirtrafficController
2007-08-12, 01:29 PM
Is it the baseball fields on 147th av.? Because I am looking at Google maps right now.

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 01:38 PM
No, it's across 147 ave on at the corner of Brookville? Blvd. Bring a gun.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 01:38 PM
It's on 147th before you turn onto 230th Place. Giant park. There's more than just baseball fields. There's a pond, walking path and open grassy areas. Families have picnics there and stuff.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 01:39 PM
...Bring a gun.

Nobody should listen to this.

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 01:42 PM
...Bring a gun.

Nobody should listen to this.
Sarcasm.

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 01:53 PM
How are our rights being trampled here?

How have the terrorists won in this situation?

You're assuming that this fence was put up to prevent spotters from being there. How would you know that's the case.

That field is often used by young people at night to hang out. I think it's probably more to prevent the "public" park to be a haven for underage drinking and illegal activity come nightfall. Who knows what goes on there when spotters aren't present. there could have been a crime or incident there recently.

What does terrorism have to do with it?

Either way, there's a park a block before the mounds right before you make that last turn. I think it's a great place to hang out. It's prettier, you're in the shade, you have a great variety of angles to position yourself for, and it's a real park.

Even if this was the end of the Mounds, we have an easy alternative.

Phil if you like taking pics of the belly of an aircraft that is fine, I don't. I also hope you are right that this fence is not directed toward us. I get a bad feeling it is. Also the tick argument is old. I wish we could put that to bed already. Do you have a recurring dream of a giant tick chasing you or something? When I grew up there was woods in my backyard that my friends and I loved to play in. I learned early on to check for ticks and every once in a while I had one, it's not the end of the world.

I guess we can let this play out but if it turns out they use the fear angle to keep us out of one of the best JFK spots it will be a bad day for the hobby. Also don't forget that if people see you shooting at the other park in that area it can't happen there. Again I hope it doesn't but there is a possibility.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 02:07 PM
Ticks ARE an issue there, and for people in NYC, many are not used to it, so it's not as common for people to check themselves afterwards going through shrubs. I'm just looking out for people...better safe than sorry, no?

The other park has several spots for side-ons, it's not just a belly location by any means.

And I will assume that this is not directed at us until we have a reason to believe otherwise.

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 02:31 PM
Ticks ARE an issue there, and for people in NYC, many are not used to it, so it's not as common for people to check themselves afterwards going through shrubs. I'm just looking out for people...better safe than sorry, no?

Oh I agree but to avoid a great spot like the mounds because of something like that is silly.

Bring a gun

LOLOL, overkill but do reemember that is not the best of neighboorhoods and you should be on your guard.

And I will assume that this is not directed at us until we have a reason to believe otherwise.

I sure hope it isn't I was planning on shooting Tues and Wed, if anyone has any updates please post.

emshighway
2007-08-12, 02:33 PM
Sad, the terrorists are winning. Big time.

Why is everyone always blaming the terrorist!!!!

umm,, ah that's our job!!!

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 02:50 PM
Was just at the mounds. Appears to be a huge party going on with half the road closed. The mounds may be out for today but I think it'll be ok after. Heading to Bayswater if anyone's interested.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 02:52 PM
Nick, the thing about your argument, and which is always your running theme, is how you latch onto minor things and linger on them to enforce your points. Even though I made two posts and said a LOT about the other park, all I said in reference to the ticks was "No ticks, either". But you retorted as though I ranted on it.

Your knee jerk reactions to this fence of immediately claiming that the terrorists have won and that our rights are being violated is not only off base and presumptuous, but it makes enthusiasts look bad, as though we victimize ourselves or feel we generally get the short end of the stick or are discriminated against because of our hobby.

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 03:11 PM
Nick, the thing about your argument, and which is always your running theme, is how you latch onto minor things and linger on them to enforce your points

Actually Phil this is not true, you (and others) have assailed the mounds for a pretty long time using the tick angle, in fact I remember quite vividly that Mel said "DO NOT GO TO THE MOUNDS" in a post. This is ridculous. The spot is as solid as they come. Ticks or ticks, it's one thing to warn and to look out for peope's welfare it's another to discourage people from visiting the spot going on your opinion.

Your knee jerk reactions to this fence of immediately claiming that the terrorists have won and that our rights are being violated is not only off base and presumptuous, but it makes enthusiasts look bad, as though we victimize ourselves or feel we generally get the short end of the stick or are discriminated against because of our hobby.

I'll agree it was a knee jerk reaction but the fact that we are discouraged from shooting at certain spots simply so we don't have to be dealth with is real, and is done time and time again. As Andy Hunt was lied to at Plainview park and told what he was doing was illegal. It's BS.

adam613
2007-08-12, 03:22 PM
The other park has several spots for side-ons, it's not just a belly location by any means.

I shot from Brookville Park before I knew about the Mounds. It's not nearly as easy...there are a lot of trees, and the planes are a lot higher up. But you can probably get side shots if you have a good zoom lens (which I don't :) )

SP-LPB
2007-08-12, 04:49 PM
That fence is temporary, Western Union is running an event today (Sunday). I've just got back from the mounds as there was no parking out there. Tons of people enjoying themselves. The tent that Tom saw was probably connected to the event. On the fence there are signs that say "Rent-a-Fence", which confirms that there will be no fence out there. Another confirmation comes straight from the security guard who stated that the fence will be taken down after the event is over.

Tom you gave us a scare there buddy. :D

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 04:53 PM

I shot from Brookville Park before I knew about the Mounds. It's not nearly as easy...there are a lot of trees, and the planes are a lot higher up. But you can probably get side shots if you have a good zoom lens (which I don't :) )

Not necessarily. There's an almost like a lake overlook thing as you walk towards the back. Tiled (broken I might add) ground with steel rails to keep you from taking a plunge offer a nice angle for a shot without needing a monster lens.

wunaladreamin
2007-08-12, 04:54 PM
Invite him out for a game of soccer. Lol

AirtrafficController
2007-08-12, 07:05 PM
Yeah the Mounds are back! :D

SP-LPB
2007-08-12, 07:27 PM
They were never gone in the first place.

T-Bird76
2007-08-12, 07:35 PM
That fence is temporary, Western Union is running an event today (Sunday). I've just got back from the mounds as there was no parking out there. Tons of people enjoying themselves. The tent that Tom saw was probably connected to the event. On the fence there are signs that say "Rent-a-Fence", which confirms that there will be no fence out there. Another confirmation comes straight from the security guard who stated that the fence will be taken down after the event is over.

Good info there mate and thanks for posting you're findings.

As for the god dam tick argument, Nick there are ticks at the mounds and Phil has said nothing wrong about watching out for yourself, the last thing you need is Lymes. I also think you need to take a step back when you come out and blame the terrorists... As we've read from SP-LPB the fence is part of an event and not a fixed structure, there's no need to jump to conclusion so quickly. Remember more then a year ago when they started construction at the mounds? We were freaking out then and the mounds are better then ever now.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 07:37 PM
I saw the event there as well today. Parking and driving was insane. In fact, the fence even came out into the street, blocking half of the road's width.

Nick, as for the ticks, our discussion pertains to this thread. If you were giving a rebuttal to old threads, then post them...in the old threads. I hardly mentioned them in this one.

If I feel that there is a particular safety hazard at a location, I am going to let people know. If I have to hammer the point a bit harder so that people take it even a little more seriously than it might need to be, then oh well. Again, better safe than sorry.

The thing is that I, ME, put a map on this site promoting certain locations. I would never want to urge someone to go somewhere that might get them hurt or in trouble, so you WILL see those opinions from me on this site.

People also don't have to listen to my opinions and feelings that I post here, whether it be on the message board, the spottings maps page, the news page, or anywhere on this domain. People who disagree don't have to listen, and people who have issues with it are not forced to be here.

With that, I'm glad the mounds will still be a viable option for spotters.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-12, 07:55 PM

Yeah, but at least I provided fodder for a great thread... :oops:

LOL Yes, I am relieved...

Tom

Tom_Turner
2007-08-12, 08:03 PM
You know, not to belabor the ticks, but someone said in one of the old "Ticks" threads that these were not ticks. I certainly know them as ticks though.

I know there are different kinds of ticks.. commonly called dog ticks or deer ticks or something like that. Supposedly the ones we see there you cannot get Lyme disease from them. Not sure I believe that though. There are many reports of Lyme disease from areas where the only "ticks" I see are from the ones like we see at the mounds.

On the positive side though, they seem to take hours to get under the skin. Everyone should have time to check themselves when they get home - if they are at all reasonably "local" anyway NY/NJ/CT.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-08-12, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd sure like to check you for ticks....

NIKV69
2007-08-12, 11:53 PM
As for the god dam tick argument, Nick there are ticks at the mounds and Phil has said nothing wrong about watching out for yourself, the last thing you need is Lymes. I also think you need to take a step back when you come out and blame the terrorists... As we've read from SP-LPB the fence is part of an event and not a fixed structure, there's no need to jump to conclusion so quickly. Remember more then a year ago when they started construction at the mounds? We were freaking out then and the mounds are better then ever now.

Well it is the terrorists that have instilled this fear. You remember that guy who hassled you that day? Would that have happened if 9/11 never happened?

I do remember when they started to build the new soccer field. Myself and Celmer were there when they were putting up the chain link fence. They were trying to take the easy way out and drive in the posts with a front loader. They bent half of them, it was hysterical. If Matt has any pics of that left I would wish he would post them.

I know there are different kinds of ticks.. commonly called dog ticks or deer ticks or something like that. Supposedly the ones we see there you cannot get Lyme disease from them. Not sure I believe that though. There are many reports of Lyme disease from areas where the only "ticks" I see are from the ones like we see at the mounds.

Ticks are grouped into two major groups. Hard and soft. The most common and the ones at the mounds are Hard ticks. People refer to them as deer ticks because they often attack white tailed deer. Sure Lyme disease is possible but not likely if you take proper precautions. Hey if you want to avoid the mounds go right ahead. Besides the best shots are the ones that 6 other poeple don't upload right behind you. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/wavey.gif

Winglets747
2007-08-12, 11:56 PM
I'm a fan of Brookville Park and personally like it better than the Mounds, but I am glad all of you still have you spot!

FYI these are the Brookville angles:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/Winglets747/DSC_3962.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/Winglets747/DSC_3847.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/Winglets747/DSC_3707.jpg

Idlewild
2007-08-15, 07:30 PM
JFK has been going down hill for spotters, and in general since '85 when they put the chicken wire on the Pan Am rooftop. After that Cuomo pushed big time for that underground luggage fiasco and car ramp/s build up. The three houses were torn down, the mini park destroyed, a big bowl of concrete pasta took its place.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-15, 07:39 PM
Spotting at JFK (and EWR and LGA) has been going down since about 1970.

It is the death of a thousand cuts and it continues to the present day.

Longer lenses, ramp access, more reliance on private or semi-private property keep things going, but roll back the clock to any given point in time, and options were better.

Tom