PDA

View Full Version : Technology and etiquette.

mirrodie
2007-08-09, 07:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed that with new technology, people are not evolving but de-volving? (there's a word)

For instance,
what are those phones people plug into their ears, bluetoothes? People walk around with those things as it their life depended on it. But aren't there times people should take them off? Like when visiting one's home? I mean, come on, you are a guest in a house, you are visiting. You are going to sit there with that thing plugged into your head? Isnt that a bit rude?

Its amazing how with new technology, we are losing basic social common sense. Wonder if anyone else has noticed such faux pax?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-09, 07:20 PM
I agree.

Personally, I speak louder to people wearing bluetooths. When they ask why I'm speaking loud, I say "I wanted to make sure you heard me...with your hearing aid and all."

moose135
2007-08-09, 07:29 PM
I agree with you Mario. I have one of those things for my phone, for use in the car - and it stays in the car. I've noticed people wearing them, and using them, in the oddest of places. Like you said, if you are visiting someone, take it off, it's not like you are Mr. Spock, waiting for a message from Star Fleet.

I find myself getting sucked in too - whenever the Blackberry buzzes, I have to reach for it (I guess you can call me Pavlov's Moose :D ) I do resist if I'm out with friends and such, but it's hard.

And don't get me started on cell phones. Yes, I have one, and yes, I use it a lot - it's my only telephone. But please people, show some restraint. If you can't talk in a reasonable, normal conversation level, stay off the phone. I hate riding the LIRR, listening to someone yakking on the phone. Although, since you can only hear one side of the conversation, it can be fun making up the other half in your head. :wink:

My worst cell phone moment was actually caused by my best friend, a guy I've know since high school. We get together every month or so for dinner or such, often just hanging out at his place if his wife is out and he is watching the kids. One night, we're in the dining room, having some take-out, and he gets a call on his cell. Now, usually I don't mind, because it often about a problem at work that needs to be resolved. This time, it was a friend from the office, whining about some drama that was going on at work. 20 minutes later, after I had finished eating and he was showing no signs of ending the call, I got up, said goodnight, and left. On the ride home, he calls me. I asked "Are you bleeding? Did you fall down and hurt yourself? No, well then, I have to go" and I hung up on him. The next morning, he called me and asked "Will you talk to me if I'm not bleeding?" He learned his lesson - now when he gets a call, unless it really is an emergency, he calls back later.

GrummanFan
2007-08-09, 07:52 PM
Half the time I think people are talking to themselves, until they turn their head and I see those damn bluetooth things.

stuart schechter
2007-08-09, 08:25 PM
Grumman, I see a lot of MTA bus drivers with them and it always boggles me until I see it.

T-Bird76
2007-08-09, 09:36 PM
I'm a big tech guy but I agree Mairo that when someone comes into one's home they should remove it, just like one should take their hat off. I wish i could find the article but it was a few months back where it spoke about how technology is making us less social with other people, where we tend to draw in to our gadgets vs striking up a convo with someone nearby.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-09, 09:55 PM
Tommy, my hat's a part of me. Just remind me next time I forget. :(

mirrodie
2007-08-09, 10:14 PM
Great way to drive the point home Moose!

People with their cell phones, they do it at the gym too. I am only moments away from the day when someone starts on their cell phone and satarts obnoxiously yammering away.

THen I'll put my thumb to my ear, pinky to mouth, and scream, "WHAT??? I CAN"T HEAR YOU? SOMEONE IS TALKING ON THEIR PHONE SO LUD I CAN HEAR YOU!!"

hiss srq
2007-08-09, 11:25 PM
LUD? new term to me. Anyway, I agree, the whole phone thing is really rude. I have two phones but I am not even remotely constantly on them. I am on and off. I hate long phone calls and will only tolerate it from a select few people which are close freinds and that is because I give a ****. Otherwise I am a hi, get to the point bye guy on the phone. My dad has a crackberry and all the tech gadgets and it drives me mad because his life revolves around that stupid thing.