PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ads

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-08, 06:47 PM
As you all know, creating, maintaining and building onto this site takes a lot of time, as well as money. With our plans to build the new site to compliment NYCAviation and expand in other ways, we need to explore methods of raising money.

So, you will start to notice the implementation of banner ads right after the first post in replies. We've just placed Google Ads there and at the bottom of the threads for now in hopes that our members and visitors will help support the site by checking out ads that they might find interesting.

If you experience any problems or do not like what you're seeing, please let us know. Our goal is to raise revenue while limiting intrusions on your enjoyment of this site.

Over the coming weeks and months, you might see other forms of revenue-raising as well. But do not worry, there will not be pop-up ads or anything that interrupts your time spent here.

Thank you all for your support.

stuart schechter
2007-08-08, 07:37 PM
I don't like them being after the first post. Maybe have it above the thread title?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-08, 10:06 PM
When figuring out placement for ads on message boards, the most effective and common is to put it under the first post. The eyes don't always go above the thread, and I feel that we'll get more clicks that way.

Derf
2007-08-08, 10:33 PM
Oh man do I hate banner adds!!!! (as I click every one I see for the last 10 min)....

Anything to help the cause! Rock on Phil, The hardship I must endure looking at them.....
So you can keep the site up and running...... Ohhhh pooorrr meeee! :lol: :wink:

Thank You Phil and Mel.... All the mods and all the others behind the scene that make this
possible. It is a wonderful site and I have stopped posting on a regular bases on all forums,
execpt this one. I could not stay away, Do not have the time to post as often as I would
like but I still always look...... EVERYDAY!

Thank You all!!!!

stuart schechter
2007-08-08, 10:38 PM
Phil, I see your point. To add to Fred's little speech, anything to keep this site running!!!

flyboy 28
2007-08-09, 03:09 PM
Is the money generated by number of clicks on the ad?

Matt Molnar
2007-08-09, 03:18 PM
Yes.

moose135
2007-08-09, 04:32 PM
Yes.
Then I guess I better start clicking!

No problem with the ads, I almost didn't notice them at first.

T-Bird76
2007-08-12, 09:58 PM
Yes.
I almost didn't notice them at first.

I don't think that's what Phil wants to hear John.. ;)

Derf
2007-08-12, 10:31 PM
I don't think that's what Phil wants to hear John.. ;)

lolol

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-13, 02:30 AM
If you don't click more, John, I think I'm gonna shut down the site this weekend for GOOD!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

emshighway
2007-08-13, 08:02 AM
Some sites have the banner add after every post. Be thankful.

markg
2007-08-19, 07:14 AM
While I'm not a fan of banner ads, if it helps preserve and improve the good work Phil, Mel and the others have put in then I will start clicking them!

One thing I noticed is they open in the same window, so you have to hit the back button after every ad. Can this be changed to open a new window or new tab?

Mark

Matt Molnar
2007-08-19, 08:57 AM
Good question, Mark. It's something lots of sites running Google ads would like to do, but unfortunately Google allows it only for their "Premium" publishers. If you guys view about 20 million more pages here every month, they'll let us do it. :)

In the meantime, if you see an ad you're interested in, the best bet would be to right click the link and click "Open in new window." If you're on a Mac, hold down the open-Apple key and click the link and it will open in a new window (or a new tab if you're running Firefox).

Mellyrose
2007-08-19, 11:15 AM
Aw, someone is teaching Matt about Macs! ;)