PDA

View Full Version : Languages

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-08, 02:03 PM
What launguages do you know?

Which would you like to learn?

I know English and a "survivable" amount of Spanish, though I refuse to speak what I know.

I am LOVE to learn Latin. It's a goal of mine over the next couple years.

You?

RDU-JFK
2007-08-08, 02:08 PM
English, Italian, and a bit of French.

AirtrafficController
2007-08-08, 02:16 PM
I know :English, Spanish, Polish
Love to learn: Latin, German, Russian

MarkLawrence
2007-08-08, 02:21 PM
I know: English, Afrikaans, Dutch
Like to learn: Spanish, German

SoPictureThis
2007-08-08, 04:27 PM
I am fluent in -- English and Spanish
I am knowledgable in -- French, Japanese, Portuguese
I'd like to learn -- to become fluent in the languages I am only OK with (above).

neat thread, philippe :wink:

- jMay

jakbar
2007-08-08, 04:31 PM
I am LOVE to learn Latin.

With grammar like that, why don't you focus on English first? :)

I know only English. I took four years of Latin in high school, but I don't remember any of it. I would like to learn Italian if I ever had the time.

pgengler
2007-08-08, 04:36 PM
Well, let's see. I know C/C++, Perl...

Oh, you meant "real" languages. I know English (obviously), fragments of Spanish from four years of it in high school, and a few bits and pieces of German. I'd love to learn Latin, though I really have no idea why since it's not all that useful.

flyboy 28
2007-08-08, 05:04 PM
English and Spanish fluently, and I'm working on my Morse Code. :)

USAF Pilot 07
2007-08-08, 05:28 PM
I'm fluent in French (as well as English, obviously)... I can get by decently on my Spanish, since it is so close to French, and most words are derived from the same Latin roots...

emshighway
2007-08-08, 06:18 PM
Queens, Bronx and a little Long Island :shock:

Would like to learn sign language, above the gesture everyone knows.

Mellyrose
2007-08-08, 06:47 PM
English, of course, a smidgen of French leftover from High School, and I can read and sing Hebrew, though I only can translate about 6 words. :P

hiss srq
2007-08-08, 07:37 PM
English, a pinch of italian, some Albanian, I took three years of Spanish and the only thing I can do with it is seduce someone with as much as I remember. Oh and the usual curse words of various languages.

Mateo
2007-08-08, 07:58 PM
English, with a pretty passable effort at French and Hebrew. Add on a residual bit of Spanish, and a semester's worth of both Russian and Arabic. I'd like to top up the French, Hebrew, and Arabic, in that order. I've always been intrigued by Finnish.

wunaladreamin
2007-08-08, 07:59 PM
I am LOVE to learn Latin.
You sure you know english? lol

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-08, 08:14 PM
Those who deride will be banned.

Kidding. I'm a dumbass.

mirrodie
2007-08-08, 09:53 PM
What I know: brought up speaking French, English and Creole; learned spanish in school(easy as USAF put it since I knew french) and fluent in all these.

The next goal is to bring up our son bilingual in French and English.

I started learning Polish and Czech over the past 2 years.

What I'd like to learn? I'd like to improve my Polish.

HINT for commuters: (Gotta tell you, learning a language was the best use of time when I had a long commute)

bonanzabucks
2007-08-08, 11:18 PM
I know: English, French and Greek. I am so-so in Portuguese and forgot a lot of it since I don't use it anymore, but I was never fluent. I can understand and read it well, though. I know a few words in Japanese because I learned in college, but forgot almost all of it.

I want to know: Would like to become fluent in Brazilian Portuguese because it's a beautiful language. Portuguese from Portugal is kind of the same, but sounds much harsher. Also want to learn Arabic and Chinese (Mandarin).

To those saying French and Spanish are similar, it's true. But Portuguese is much more related to French and I found it easier learning that than Spanish.

nwafan20
2007-08-09, 12:01 AM
I know: English, a small bit of Spanish

I would like to know: more Spanish!

cancidas
2007-08-10, 10:23 AM
english (brooklyn) and polish, both fluent. i know enough spanish to know when people are talking about me. want to learn german and russian though.