PDA

View Full Version : Breezy Point Medevac

NYCMedic
2007-08-05, 11:15 PM
9 rescued after carbon monoxide leak on boat

Nine people on a pleasure boat in Jamaica Bay Saturday had to be rescued after at least two children on board fell unconscious from breathing carbon monoxide, officials said.

"The mother there was crying, 'My babies, my babies,'" said Brian McCarrick, 47, one of two Fire Department marine officers who responded to the emergency call.

"They were dizzy, they were down below," he said.

Members of the group -- likely a family -- received minor injuries and required hospitalization, fire officials said, but all those aboard were expected to recover.

Officers at the scene said the suspected source of the carbon monoxide was from a generator below deck, where some of the children were riding, although the cause of the poisoning was still under investigation late yesterday.

The group was headed toward Mill Creek Basin in Gateway National Recreation Area aboard the 'Lady V,' a 35-foot Carver cabin cruiser based in Staten Island, shortly after 3 p.m. when several on board were "overcome," fire officials said.

An emergency radio call alerted Glenn Johnson, 37, and McCarrick, firefighters from an FDNY marine unit who located the boat on the Brooklyn side of Gateway, near the Marine Parkway Bridge.

Once on board, they found two unconscious children who were breathing and two others who had regained consciousness, they said.

The pair of rescuers administered oxygen on two of the boys in the group. "One finally regained consciousness and started crying, which is good news," said McCarrick, of Shoreham.

After the boat was taken to a U.S. Park Police dock near Fort Tilden, two children and one adult were transported by helicopter to Jacobi Hospital Medical Center in the Bronx.

Three children were taken to Coney Island Hospital, and two children and the other adult went to Peninsula Hospital Center on the Rockaway peninsula.

Gerard
2007-08-06, 11:18 AM
[
>After the boat was taken to a U.S. Park Police dock near Fort Tilden, two children and one adult were transported by helicopter to Jacobi Hospital Medical Center in the Bronx.<

And the media get it wrong again. I read this and another reported indicating there was an
"airlift" but after inquiring with people at EMS I got a reply from the CW/EMS dispatcher who was
working the job and he said it was a "Cluster with too many chiefs involved all second guessing
each other" and two patients were taken by ground to Jacobi. I also received an email from the
medic on board the transporting ambulance who said the helicopter was on the ground but he was
"ORDERED" not to use it. His trip to Jacobi was 42 minutes long. :!:

Matt Molnar
2007-08-06, 11:58 AM
Wow, that's dumb. Does Jacobi have specialized equipment to treat CO poisoning?

Gerard
2007-08-06, 02:21 PM
>[Wow, that's dumb. Does Jacobi have specialized equipment to treat CO poisoning?<

Yes they have the Hyperbaric Chamber up there.

NYCMedic
2007-08-06, 02:54 PM
It was never a Medevac. The news was misinformed, the patients were taken to Jacobi by Ambulance.

emshighway
2007-08-06, 03:03 PM
>[Wow, that's dumb. Does Jacobi have specialized equipment to treat CO poisoning?<

Yes they have the Hyperbaric Chamber up there.

Use to be on City Island but they finally moved it over to the Hospital. I was in it twice when we transferred a patient to the chamber and the dispatcher advised us to wait for the patient to be finished. The techs were pretty cool and didn't mind having a second EMT inside. They would always have a container of marshmallow, a can of soda and a funny blow up dinosaur to show the depth changes.

A great hang-over remedy!!!

cancidas
2007-08-07, 12:49 AM
A great hang-over remedy!!!

i'll stick to a gallon of water the night of thank you...

Idlewild
2007-08-07, 07:45 AM
I was there when it happened. I was biking to and fro from Prospect Heights via Bedford Ave, Flatbush over the Gil Hodges and to the end of Breezy Point. When I headed back I saw most of the FD Chiefs' Broncos fly towards Gil Hodges. When I arrived by the CG station there were at least five ambulances along with the Broncos and a NYPD chopper that looked like it was outfitted with stretchers on its skids (medevac?). The lady who runs the hot dog cart directly across the street said that it was a bunch of kids who decided to party and boat at the same time and got careless. After 30 minutes the chopper took off and it looked like it was heading towards Floyd Bennett from my perspective. I believe I saw three or four ambulances go over the bridge with their lights and sirens running soon after. I was wondering why there were so many ambulances for three kids. Now, with the clarification of 9 people, it makes sense. Quite a day.

Gerard
2007-08-07, 09:29 AM
>The lady who runs the hot dog cart directly across the street said that it was a bunch of kids who decided to party and boat at the same time and got careless. <

LOL, she should stick to selling hot dogs instead of reporting.

Idlewild
2007-08-07, 06:17 PM
>The lady who runs the hot dog cart directly across the street said that it was a bunch of kids who decided to party and boat at the same time and got careless. <

In her defense she was pretty upset. She wasn't coming off as a Cliff Clavin, more like an upset mom. I believe she genuinely thought that some kids had lost their lives from boozing and boating. She said she's seen this stuff before in that area. I should have stressed that in my OP.

NYCMedic
2007-08-07, 08:22 PM

In her defense she was pretty upset. She wasn't coming off as a Cliff Clavin, more like an upset mom. I believe she genuinely thought that some kids had lost their lives from boozing and boating. She said she's seen this stuff before in that area. I should have stressed that in my OP.

Yeah leave poor Maria alone....Try the Breezy Dog, The Brazillian soft taco, or one of the 12 Milkshakes she makes....Out of this world!!!

hiss srq
2007-08-07, 10:03 PM
Brazillian soft taco sounds awesome to me.