PDA

View Full Version : Smartskies

stuart schechter
2007-08-02, 07:27 PM

Delta Air Lines

Message from the Chief of Operations

Joe Kolshak, Delta CEO
We’re proud to be part of the Smart Skies campaign and provide this website for Delta Air Lines passengers and employees to learn about the critical need to modernize our nation's aging air traffic control system and reform the way it is funded. As passengers and employees, we are all impacted by the delays and congestion that are a result of this outdated system. In addition, the subsidies we provide to high-performance noncommercial users of the system unfairly tax the airline customers. It is vitally important that our voices be heard as debate about these issues occurs in Congress.

The last opportunity to provide input on modernizing the air traffic system and reforming the Airport and Airway Trust Fund came ten years ago, but you can help make a difference at this crucial time. Help ensure that the U.S. aviation system can meet future demand by telling your elected officials to support a modernized air traffic control system and a fair funding system that will help eliminate delays, ensure all users pay their fair share, and improve environmental performance.

Our elected leaders in Congress make decisions that affect us all. It is important that we as a company, and more importantly you as individuals, are part of the political process. Thanks for getting on board!

Sincerely,

Joseph C. Kolshak
Executive Vice President and Chief of Operations, Delta Air Lines, Inc.

lijk604
2007-08-03, 12:27 PM
What a crock of sh*t! The ATA (Air Transport Association) has been spreading this propaganda in order to get GA to pick up most of the costs. They blame GA for most of the delays at the major airports, yet GA traffic only accounts for a minor percentage of that traffic. I know it's an old worn out debate, but the RJ's (especially Comair & ASA) at JFK & LGA are a huge amount of the traffic there and reasons for the delays. People in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

RDU-JFK
2007-08-03, 01:07 PM
What a crock of sh*t! The ATA (Air Transport Association) has been spreading this propaganda in order to get GA to pick up most of the costs. They blame GA for most of the delays at the major airports, yet GA traffic only accounts for a minor percentage of that traffic. I know it's an old worn out debate, but the RJ's (especially Comair & ASA) at JFK & LGA are a huge amount of the traffic there and reasons for the delays. People in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

I don't think ASA has a huge effect on JFK and LGA delays. Maybe Air Wisconsin and American Eagle. But yes, JFK and LGA delays have a lot to do with RJs. However RJs are necessary.

Art at ISP
2007-08-03, 02:27 PM
According to AOPA, the House has come up with a solution everyone should be able to live with--the airline tax stays the same, but a modest increase in the aviation fuel tax would mean that GA would pay a larger portion of the price.

It seems fair-the more you fly the more fuel you use, proportional to using the system more (assumed).

The airlines have it all wrong, and AOPA is strong enough to stand up to the airlines.

lijk604
2007-08-03, 06:29 PM
Of course, the airlines have it wrong, but they are desperate to avoid any higher taxes. They feel GA is putting them into these bankruptcies, when it's their own mismanagement that has done that. Now I work in GA, and do I feel that some increase in fees are due, but the original proposal was way out of whack.