PDA

View Full Version : NYC visit, August 24th - 27th

INNflight
2007-08-01, 06:07 AM
Dear members, hey all!

It's my very first posting here, so I'd like to do a brief introduction...even though I've been a secret reader for about a month or two already.
My name's Florian (Trojer), some might know a photo or two of mine from airliners.net, and probably from their discussion boards, where I do have the same username. I am from Innsbruck, Austria and will be visiting the US for my first time this month.

I will be in Boston from the 21st of August until the 24th, and then spend three days in New York...doing some touristy things during the day, and if weather's nice, also some photography if possible. I'll arrive on amtrak ( 8) ) on the 24th sometime around noon and then fly out on JetBlue back to BOS again on the 27th to get my flight back home.

Thing is, some local help would of course be greatly appreciated for photography. I have been in touch with Nicholas Vollaro before and he suggested JFK would be the best airport to shoot. I realize heat haze might be a problem, so I'd prefer shooting in the mornings or late afternoons, any good suggestions for your airports? If anybody would like to meet up this would of course be very nice!

I have not booked accomodation yet, will probably go for a cheap hotel or a youth hostel and have a few in mind already, but nothing confirmed so far, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
Florian :)

moose135
2007-08-01, 07:45 AM
Welcome aboard, Florian! Quite familiar with your work on a.net, very nice stuff!

Yes, JFK is probably your best bet for variety of subjects as well as different vantage points for spotting. Make sure you check out the spotting maps on the NYCA home page. That will give you a good idea of the area, and help you do a little advanced planning. It really comes down to runway use when you go out.

Right now it looks like I should be free over the weekend of your visit, if so, I'd be glad to get out and join you for some spotting. Keep in touch as your visit approaches, and PM me if you would like.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-01, 08:22 AM
Florian! Welcome!

Listening to Nick....eh....but he's right about going to JFK. ;) But seriously, it's just getting to that constant "heat" timeof year, and the haze will almost certainly be an issue. I'd recommend early morning spotting, and late afternoon spotting when it's cooler. Midday will just have light that's too top-lit, and it will be very hot. I'd have an extended lunch or find an activity for the daytime and come back if possible.

NIKV69
2007-08-01, 08:52 AM
Hi Florian, yes haze is becoming to be an issue now since we are entering into the dog day period of summer. I shot at the mounds last night and by the time you get here that spot should still be ok late afternoon. The days are getting shorter and I noticed the sun didn't make it as far as you need for perfect light but it's still good. I work 5 mins from JFK so I can do a late shoot anytime and hopefully a morning one as well. Pray for good wx and see you when you arrive!

INNflight
2007-08-01, 11:38 AM
Thanks very much guys!!!

Really appreciated!

I'd recommend early morning spotting, and late afternoon spotting when it's cooler.

Hi Phil! That's what I plan to do for sure, and some touristy things during the day. Can already see myself taking the bus / train to and from JFK quite a few times :mrgreen:

btw, I dropped you an email a week ago or two, did you get that?

Cheers guys!
Florian

pittspilot28
2007-08-01, 05:21 PM
if you are going to be in boston I live there and could go for some spotting at Logan, I know a few good spots around...let me know if you are [email protected]

INNflight
2007-08-12, 01:40 PM
Hey again guys :)

I am quite desperate already looking through the tons of photos from JFK and your other airports, so can't wait really.
I booked my intra-US flights today, and will arrive on AA Eagle on the 24th from BOS, sometime around noon, and then depart on the 27th on Comair again...both from JFK.

I pray for good weather already, and hopefully will meet some of you nice guys there!
Cheers :D

Florian

INNflight
2007-08-20, 06:53 PM
Hello once again,

In less than 12hrs I'll be off to the US and seems like your weather Gods are in a jolly mood....good weather all week long :D

just another brief set of questions... hope you guys don't get bored :mrgreen:

I'd eventually think about paying one of the two Manhattan heliports a visit, the wall st. one sounds tempting. Re. light I think this would be a morning spot? How is it re. traffic / being chased away by police? Will 400mm on a 1.3 crop body be sufficient?

And also I'd love to see a NFL game... I know it's preseason and on SAT there's a Giants vs. Jets game.... sounds very tempting. Any guys of you who visit games regularly? Should I get tickets in advance (where?) or just at gameday at the stadium?

thanks once again for your helpful comments....can't wait anymore when browsing through all your beautiful JFK shots posted here!

Flo

NIKV69
2007-08-20, 07:05 PM
Hope the weather is good too Flo, as for football yes you will enjoy it. I guess for a preseason game you can get seats at the ticket booth. I am going to send you an email with my contact stuff shortly.

T-Bird76
2007-08-20, 08:00 PM
If the WX is good this weekend I'll try to make it out, right now its not looking all to good though. Someone better do sun dance or sacrifice something soon to the gods!

Tom_Turner
2007-08-20, 08:11 PM
I'd eventually think about paying one of the two Manhattan heliports a visit, the wall st. one sounds tempting. Re. light I think this would be a morning spot? How is it re. traffic / being chased away by police? Will 400mm on a 1.3 crop body be sufficient?Flo

Hi Florian.

The Wall Street Heliport is often the least busy, but potentially the most variety, and if you're lucky it will be a busy day. Make sure you go on a weekday as this heliport has been closed weekends most years. It is open now on the weekend, but very limited traffic. Anything 100-400mm would be good here. The sun is virtually never right here. You will need to fight it all day long, but good shots can be had of the choppers approaching/departing/taxiing at angles. You (probably) won't be bothered by authorities shooting here, but be sure to stay off the pier itself as there seems to be sensitivity to that these days.

The East Side heliport (30th Street) is very busy and you'll be VERY close to the action when shooting. Probably the easiest heliport to shoot. At some point in the late afternoon the sun will get blocked out by Manhattan's buildings. Closed Weekends.

The West Side heliport is probably the busiest but it features a densely linked fence and an awkward shooting angle from the water's edge. Some subjects may be lost entirely depending on their approach/departure angles. Open 24/7.

Finding spots for these heliports should be easy enough, but if you like you can PM me and reference any of my old shots on A.net if you want.

Good luck and hope to see you one of the days at the airport.

Tom

Gerard
2007-08-20, 08:24 PM
[>The East Side heliport (30th Street) is very busy and you'll be VERY close to the action when shooting. Probably the easiest heliport to shoot. At some point in the late afternoon the sun will get blocked out by Manhattan's buildings. Closed Weekends.<

Tom, Tom, Tom, LOL, it's the East 34st Heliport!!! But you are correct about being VERYCLOSE to
the action. :D

Tom_Turner
2007-08-20, 08:42 PM
[>The East Side heliport (30th Street) is very busy and you'll be VERY close to the action when shooting. Probably the easiest heliport to shoot. At some point in the late afternoon the sun will get blocked out by Manhattan's buildings. Closed Weekends.<

Tom, Tom, Tom, LOL, it's the East 34st Heliport!!! But you are correct about being VERYCLOSE to
the action. :D

Hahaha.. Yes, sorry. I had typed the entire response and lost it somehow.. retyping with haste... meant to put a question mark. :) WestSide is West 30th, right?
Tom

Gerard
2007-08-20, 10:36 PM
>Hahaha.. Yes, sorry. I had typed the entire response and lost it somehow.. retyping with haste... meant to put a question mark. :) WestSide is West 30th, right?<

Yes!! :P
And believe me i know the feeling. I've typed out responses/posts on different boards/newsgroups and totally
thought they were fine, even proof read and when I read them later I see some error. Must be old age.

SP-LPB
2007-08-20, 10:51 PM
The WX for the weekend isn't looking the best, Monday is looking promising however.

INNflight
2007-08-21, 01:09 AM
Hey everybody,

Thanks a lot for all your replies, really helpful and really appreciated!
I'm about to hit the airport in about an hour, but will read the boards once or twice the following days.

Also thanks for the heliport info, might try to find my way somewhere to the choppers :)
Cheers and have a good week!

Florian