PDA

View Full Version : North American Flight Aborts Takeoff Twice at JFK

Matt Molnar
2007-07-31, 11:07 AM
Passengers reportedly stuck for hours due to mechanical problems (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5524990)

WABC Eyewitness News

(New York - WABC, July 30, 2007) - Some mechanical problems with a plane at JFK Airport have left passengers frustrated and looking for answers.

Eyewitness News reporter Lucy Yang is there with details.

A summertime getaway turned into a long, frustrating trip to nowhere today. The flight was aborted not once, but twice.

North American flight 116 was supposed to take off at 10 a.m. from New York to Jamaica. Instead, it is still sitting on the tarmac.

We're told the plane did make it to the runway, was building up speed for takeoff when the captain hit the brakes. Passengers were informed of a mechanical problem.

The plane returned to the tarmac for repairs. But instead of switching planes, travelers tell us they were told the problem was fixed so they were off to try it again -- except the second time was not the charm. The mechanical problem reared its ugly head again.

By the time passengers were finally let off the plane, some five hours later, patience was long gone. Police were called in as things got pretty ugly, we're told, between some passengers and the crew.

Eyewitness News spoke to a frustrated passenger on the phone who said: "This is ridiculous ... They said sorry for the incovienance we have to go back to the terminal, we have some kind of problem."

Matt Molnar
2007-07-31, 11:16 AM
From the video accompanying the story and some Photoshopping of a screen grab, the troubled a/c seems to be N767NA, FYI.

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-31, 12:03 PM
The aircraft shown in the video is N765NA....but that's not even the one with the mx problem. Those planes (and me) were at a different hardstand at T4, which the news chopper did not film.

Like with missed approaches, the media acts as though a rejected takeoff is a big thing, when it isn't. The mx problem ended up not being a huge deal, and people were never in any danger, as the plane had only started its takeoff roll. We quickly got the pax onto a different aircraft and got them on their way.

One particular passenger got a little out of hand, and Port Police were called to the aircraft, which again, is not uncommon. We just happened to get some bad press over it.

cancidas
2007-07-31, 12:53 PM
don't feel bad phil, one of my flights made the new last night. it was also a minor emergency situation.

nikon50bigma
2007-07-31, 10:12 PM
The aircraft shown in the video is N765NA....but that's not even the one with the mx problem. Those planes (and me) were at a different hardstand at T4, which the news chopper did not film.

That sounds typical of the news now-a-days.

Smartass Flyboy
2007-08-01, 02:39 AM
Odd. Early yesterday afternoon I was on the T8 ramp and kept noticing a chopper much higher than usual and stationary. I usually see the USH birds coming and going when I'm over there as they come over 8 landing at DL. I noticed this because it was hovering and much higher than the USH birds approach at. As an aside we have a maint contract for North American and did have one of their 75's in the hangar when I left tonight. Now I'll have to note the reg if it's there tomorrow.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-01, 08:16 AM
The one you saw in the hangar was a different aircraft, which was in there for an scheduled A-Check.