PDA

View Full Version : US Airways ordered A340?

i_mizrahi
2007-07-21, 04:15 AM
According to this news bulletin http://www.airportbusiness.com/web/onli ... ce/1$13220 (http://www.airportbusiness.com/web/online/Top-News-Headlines/US-Airways-launches-bid-for-Beijing-service/1$13220)
U.S. Airways have placed a bid for a new route from PHL to PKK, which starting in 2009 will use A340.

Have they oedered A340? it's impossible to tell from Airbus' web site.

DHG750R
2007-07-21, 04:48 AM
USAirways has not ordered an A340 , however it would be possible to convert some outstanding orders for the A330 into A340s. Or acquire some on the used market.

T-Bird76
2007-07-21, 11:03 AM
They are supposed to be getting second hand A340s from Air Canada I believe, if its not Air Canada they are from someone else.

LGA777
2007-07-21, 12:19 PM
The Air Canada deal was for their two A340-500's which are now going to Tam Brazil instead. It sounds like the company is now interested regrettably in -300's and Air Canada has a fairly good sized number to dispose of in conjunction with 777 deliveries so they still might end up being used AC aircraft.

Regards

LGA777

cancidas
2007-07-21, 01:19 PM
shame we didn't jump for the -500's! those really a re a great looking and great performing airplane. i have a feeling those old -300's are going to be as reliable colgan's saabs.

hiss srq
2007-07-21, 01:21 PM
Good chance US will get the hairdryer from AC with the older software up on the flight deck and the crappy performance to go with it.

i_mizrahi
2007-07-21, 01:59 PM
While we're on the subject of US Airways, can anyone explain what is "U.S. Airways east" and "U.S. Airways west" as they are posted in the orders table of Airbus.com?

hiss srq
2007-07-21, 02:02 PM
US east means the real USAirways and if you see west it means America West not real USAirways.

cancidas
2007-07-21, 04:31 PM
spellman is right, even though not many of us share the "real" or not attitude.

T-Bird76
2007-07-21, 05:28 PM
US east means the real USAirways and if you see west it means America West not real USAirways.

The real U.S Airways?? What is that? You mean the one that declared Chap 11 twice and by all intent is now out of biz? I think a better explanation would have been that the old U.S Airways that was bought out by HP is still run under a different FAA flight certificate and the operational standards are different the old America West. The east and west thing come from the old U.S Airways being a dominant East coast carrier where America West was dominate West Coast carrier. Guys I hate to break it to you but the old U.S Airways is gone. US better gets its ass moving and start changing its culture away from this East/West bull****, the sooner it does the sooner some of these labor and customer service issues will disappear.

DHG750R
2007-07-21, 10:50 PM
The Air Canada deal was for their two A340-500's which are now going to Tam Brazil instead. It sounds like the company is now interested regrettably in -300's and Air Canada has a fairly good sized number to dispose of in conjunction with 777 deliveries so they still might end up being used AC aircraft.

The -500's would have been a good performer for US's operation. The -300's are going to be a bit more of a headache operationally. There will be payload restrictions , unplanned fuel stops ...

hiss srq
2007-07-21, 11:15 PM

The -500's would have been a good performer for US's operation. The -300's are going to be a bit more of a headache operationally. There will be payload restrictions , unplanned fuel stops ...
Ding ding ding! Someone gets it! The only thing that will match is the commonality on the 330 flight deck and the software version on the flight decks of the two. Not only that but the 340 is traditionally a pretty nose heavy bird as well.

i_mizrahi
2007-07-21, 11:49 PM
[quote="hiss srq":7943e]US east means the real USAirways and if you see west it means America West not real USAirways.

The real U.S Airways?? What is that? You mean the one that declared Chap 11 twice and by all intent is now out of biz? I think a better explanation would have been that the old U.S Airways that was bought out by HP is still run under a different FAA flight certificate and the operational standards are different the old America West. The east and west thing come from the old U.S Airways being a dominant East coast carrier where America West was dominate West Coast carrier. Guys I hate to break it to you but the old U.S Airways is gone. US better gets its ass moving and start changing its culture away from this East/West bull****, the sooner it does the sooner some of these labor and customer service issues will disappear.[/quote:7943e]

Well put!

Izhar