PDA

View Full Version : Delta Posts Q2 Profit

Matt Molnar
2007-07-18, 06:13 PM
Delta Air Lines Posts $1.77B Profit (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070718/D8QF0CCO0.html)

Jul 18, 8:21 AM (ET)

By HARRY R. WEBER

ATLANTA (AP) - Delta Air Lines Inc., the nation's third-largest carrier, cited a 5.5 percent gain in sales as it reported Wednesday that it swung to a profit in the second quarter, which saw it emerge from bankruptcy after shaving billions of dollars in costs.

The Atlanta-based company's results beat Wall Street expectations when one-time items are excluded.

For the three months ending June 30, Delta said it recorded net income of $1.77 billion, or $4.49 a share, compared to a loss of $2.21 billion in the same period a year earlier. The corresponding per-share figure for the year-ago loss was not provided in Delta's balance sheet.

Excluding reorganization and related one-time items, Delta said it had a profit of $274 million, or 70 cents a share, in the second quarter. On a comparable basis, analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were expecting a profit of 59 cents a share. More... (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070718/D8QF0CCO0.html)

stuart schechter
2007-07-18, 06:42 PM
This is good, great news! Through all the bad looks, they are still my favorite.

T-Bird76
2007-07-18, 06:57 PM
The profit is an on paper profit based off the huge load of **** that Delta just dropped in Chap 11, including their employees pensions, money owed to its contractors and suppliers. Delta is and will always be a dump of an airline with poor service, no identity, a poor business plan, and will end up being bought out within five years.

stuart schechter
2007-07-18, 08:20 PM
The profit is an on paper profit based off the huge load of **** that Delta just dropped in Chap 11, including their employees pensions, money owed to its contractors and suppliers. Delta is and will always be a dump of an airline with poor service, no identity, a poor business plan, and will end up being bought out within five years.

I have had nothing but good service from them. I want to see you put your money where your mouth is and see if they actually will be bought out.

T-Bird76
2007-07-18, 08:44 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":0c531]The profit is an on paper profit based off the huge load of **** that Delta just dropped in Chap 11, including their employees pensions, money owed to its contractors and suppliers. Delta is and will always be a dump of an airline with poor service, no identity, a poor business plan, and will end up being bought out within five years.

I have had nothing but good service from them. I want to see you put your money where your mouth is and see if they actually will be bought out.[/quote:0c531]

My money where my mouth is??? Give me a break. The great airline bankruptcy and merger saga is not over. In order for these airlines to generate dollars for the huge capital investments they have to make real soon, further cuts will take place and combined assets are the only way they'll do it.

nwafan20
2007-07-18, 10:45 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":c4fda]The profit is an on paper profit based off the huge load of **** that Delta just dropped in Chap 11, including their employees pensions, money owed to its contractors and suppliers. Delta is and will always be a dump of an airline with poor service, no identity, a poor business plan, and will end up being bought out within five years.

I have had nothing but good service from them. I want to see you put your money where your mouth is and see if they actually will be bought out.[/quote:c4fda]

Complete opposite here, I have had nothing but bad experiences and terribly service.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-19, 12:09 AM
Great News! Maybe now I won't have to use 50,000 miles to get a free "SkyChoice" ticket on Delta, since the only "SkySaver" free tickets seem to be on flights leaving at 3AM with 4 connections with only one seat available next to the lav....

stuart schechter
2007-07-19, 12:56 AM
I think I just got chewed out. I am going to cry in a hole and blow my brains out! :D :D :D :D

hiss srq
2007-07-21, 05:59 PM
I think I just got chewed out. I am going to cry in a hole and blow my brains out! :D :D :D :D

Uncool Stuart, uncool man

hiss srq
2007-07-21, 06:01 PM
I think Delta has some issues to iron out but in the long run they "look" to be in the best shape. Again I say "look" because they still have bills and they have investments up and coming that will lead to a loss in profitability.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-21, 07:11 PM
I think Delta has some issues to iron out but in the long run they "look" to be in the best shape. Again I say "look" because they still have bills and they have investments up and coming that will lead to a loss in profitability.

I'd argue that Continental seems to be the best financially suited for the long term "legacy" carrier.

T-Bird76
2007-07-21, 07:34 PM
[quote="hiss srq":01dae]I think Delta has some issues to iron out but in the long run they "look" to be in the best shape. Again I say "look" because they still have bills and they have investments up and coming that will lead to a loss in profitability.

I'd argue that Continental seems to be the best financially suited for the long term "legacy" carrier.[/quote:01dae]

They are, their fleet is new so the long term investment for new planes is low for them. They'll have more free capital for service upgrades then new planes. Delta, AA, and UAL are going to be spending a bundle for new planes soon, and well NWA they are in a class by themselves.....those DC9 replacements ain't going to be cheap.

nwafan20
2007-07-22, 01:47 AM
Tommy, what DC-9 replacement? Don't you know they will be around till 2150? They still have a good 150 years of service in them!!! :wink:

hiss srq
2007-07-22, 01:02 PM
I would not be suprised at this rate to see the Deisel 9's in the sky to see 60 years of service. Right now I get my fair share of Pratt powered douglas jet departures that rattle the tower windows and at this rate NW may become my favorite airline in ten year strictly because I will get to hear JT8's when they fly. That is the ONLY reason though no offense NWA.. :mrgreen: