PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin in post processing photos.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-16, 12:39 PM
I had recently gotton a new camera and I am looking forward of how to post process my photos. I have Canon Digital Photo professinal.
Can anyone assist me?

nwafan20
2007-07-16, 02:18 PM
Get Photoshop, doesn't matter how, just get it.

emshighway
2007-07-16, 07:12 PM
Go to one of the computer shows. You can pick up photoshop cheap.

http://www.tri-statefairs.com/

Mellyrose
2007-07-17, 01:13 PM
Do you have MS Paint? That should do it.

stuart schechter
2007-07-17, 06:27 PM

So simple Mel!

Hey kid, I uh.. got a photoshop come to my car with me.

nwafan20
2007-07-17, 10:20 PM

I really HOPE that was a joke... As a photographer, if it wasn't I would be worried...

Mellyrose
2007-07-18, 09:09 AM
Honestly, all of my JP and Anet uploads were accepted using MS paint. What's the issue?

NIKV69
2007-07-18, 10:05 AM

This is very good advice and I would follow it.

all of my JP and Anet uploads were accepted using MS paint. What's the issue?

I don't think it's an issue Mel, and that is a nice accomplishment. I think what he meant was if someone is going to seriously pursue taking pictures and then editing them MS Paint is not the way to go. There is a reason PS dominates not only av-photo but photo editing in general.

I would try to get a copy of CS2. Which has the raw plug in. From there it is up to you how far you go and learn to use PS. Shooting in raw may seem intimidating but if you take the time to learn to use it and how to process it the results are worth it.

Mellyrose
2007-07-18, 10:23 AM
all of my JP and Anet uploads were accepted using MS paint. What's the issue?

I don't think it's an issue Mel, and that is a nice accomplishment. I think what he meant was if someone is going to seriously pursue taking pictures and then editing them MS Paint is not the way to go. There is a reason PS dominates not only av-photo but photo editing in general.

I would try to get a copy of CS2. Which has the raw plug in. From there it is up to you how far you go and learn to use PS. Shooting in raw may seem intimidating but if you take the time to learn to use it and how to process it the results are worth it.

Yeah, MS Paint is tough to edit with. But have you guys tried v8.5? ;)

:roll:

AirtrafficController
2007-07-18, 10:33 AM
I also have Corel Paint Shop Pro

Thanks for the answers but where do I begin in making the photos look better?

noise removal etc...

Mellyrose
2007-07-18, 10:39 AM
OK...game is over. First of all, for everyone who thought I was serious, you should know better! :lol:

And...I don’t even HAVE MS Paint! I have a Mac and MS=Microsoft.

I pretty much live in Photoshop with everything I do (photography, retouching, aviation, etc) and I can help you learn the tools, but the first step is to get the software. Let me know when that happens, and I’ll be more than happy to do so. :)

If you CAN get CS2, that would be best...but I don't know if you'd be shotting RAW so if it's easier and quicker to get your hands on a copy of PS7 or CS, do that first.

NIKV69
2007-07-18, 10:50 AM
OK before this thread goes any more off topic I will answer your question. I am assuming you are going to use PS and you shot in jpeg mode with the biggest file you could for quality. From there you should..

1. Open the pic in PS.
2. Level (If needed) There are many ways but to start use rotate image (arbitrary). With the grid on you should see if it's needs any rotation.
3. Crop the pic, Keep it simple and use 3 to 2 in the boxes above. Make sure the aircraft is centered properly. With many of the things in PS it's a ton of trial and error.
4. re-size, for you in the beginning keep it smallest possible so flaws are not readily visable. 1000 is good 1024 max. PS will pick the rest. Usually 1024 by 683.
5. Once you get the pic back to 100% view you have to find any dust spots and fix them. Clone tool is best as this does not give the pic the look that it is over processed.
6. Adjust the levels a little if needed.
7. Give the Hue and Saturation a little boost.
8. Sharpen
9. Save at the highest quality

This is a bit vague and is based on a good capture that doesn't need any color, white balance or contrast work but if you want a great guide to get you started here you go.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/PsProc.pdf

AirtrafficController
2007-07-18, 11:33 AM
thanks guys and gals

nwafan20
2007-07-18, 01:05 PM
OK before this thread goes any more off topic I will answer your question. I am assuming you are going to use PS and you shot in jpeg mode with the biggest file you could for quality. From there you should..

1. Open the pic in PS.
2. Level (If needed) There are many ways but to start use rotate image (arbitrary). With the grid on you should see if it's needs any rotation.
3. Crop the pic, Keep it simple and use 3 to 2 in the boxes above. Make sure the aircraft is centered properly. With many of the things in PS it's a ton of trial and error.
4. re-size, for you in the beginning keep it smallest possible so flaws are not readily visable. 1000 is good 1024 max. PS will pick the rest. Usually 1024 by 683.
5. Once you get the pic back to 100% view you have to find any dust spots and fix them. Clone tool is best as this does not give the pic the look that it is over processed.
6. Adjust the levels a little if needed.
7. Give the Hue and Saturation a little boost.
8. Sharpen
9. Save at the highest quality

This is a bit vague and is based on a good capture that doesn't need any color, white balance or contrast work but if you want a great guide to get you started here you go.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/PsProc.pdf

I would HORRIBLY disagree!!!!

Everything should be done BEFORE resizing!!! That is how you maintain the best quality after resizing

So:

Make level (arbitrary via the measuring tape tool)
Crop (3 in 2 in ratio please)
If you don't have a 400D (:D) dust spots
Levels (drag the right bar all the way to the beginning of the graph, if that makes sense)
Curves (if you are familiar with them, if not, skip it)
Shadow/highlights as necessary
Bump up the contrast
Add a little saturation
Sharpen
Size - 1280 wide for personal use, 1024 wide for web use, none if you want to be able to adjust things later (At least thats what I follow by)
Save - highest quality, DO NOT OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL FILE!!!

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-18, 01:18 PM
nwafan20, I agree with Nick. The editing done to the photo is done optimally with the existing pixel layout. Sharpening and then resizing means that your sharpening was done with different pixels. Maintaining quality in that way is simply not true.

moose135
2007-07-18, 01:21 PM
I guess I'll split the difference. I do all my editing - except sharpening - at full size. When I am happy with the exposure and color, I resize to 1024, then sharpen the smaller image.

nwafan20
2007-07-18, 01:30 PM
I guess we all have our styles :)

For a first timer, this might be the best option until he can get his feel for editing and decide whats best for his photo: http://www.jid.me.uk/workflow/

NIKV69
2007-07-18, 03:38 PM
The editing done to the photo is done optimally with the existing pixel layout http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/idea.gif

Pretty much spot on.

I do all my editing - except sharpening - at full size. When I am happy with the exposure and color, I resize to 1024, then sharpen the smaller image.
I guess I'll split the difference. I do all my editing - except sharpening - at full size. When I am happy with the exposure and color, I resize to 1024, then sharpen the smaller image.

That's why I love RAW, ACW lets you make any changes to expsoure, white balance, shadows and contrast. In fact you can level it, crop it too before you open it in PS to clean the dust and sharpen. The experts I have asked prefer to just fix exposure and white balance and any color issues in ACW then do the rest in PS.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-18, 03:49 PM
Is jetphotos.net down? Because I tried to upload my photo and it Did'nt work.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-18, 08:09 PM
I concur with moose. At work and for my personal editing I do all my levels and color adjustments at full size, but sharpening must be done at the final size. As you shrink a photo it gets progressively less sharp.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-19, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the tips people, I have submitted my first photo to JP.net

Mellyrose
2007-07-19, 11:32 AM
You got Photoshop that quick? What version? You should have posted the photo for C&C first! :)

AirtrafficController
2007-07-19, 12:43 PM
You got Photoshop that quick? What version? You should have posted the photo for C&C first! :)

I dont have photoshop, I use a combination of Canon Digital Photo Professional and Windows.

moose135
2007-07-19, 01:12 PM
ATC, I missed what you are shooting with, but I assume it's a Canon. I'm surprised you don't have a copy of PhotoShop Elements - I've gotten copies with both Canon DSLRs I bought. It has just about everything you need to edit photos. I used it for well over a year, and probably 100 or more of my jp.net photos, before moving to the full version of PS.

Mellyrose
2007-07-19, 01:28 PM
I dont have photoshop, I use a combination of Canon Digital Photo Professional and Windows.

I don't get it. Windows what?

T-Bird76
2007-07-19, 01:40 PM

You submitted you're first photo to JP.net? Really? What's you're user name.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-19, 02:06 PM

You submitted you're first photo to JP.net? Really? What's you're user name.

Its AirTrafficController

wunaladreamin
2007-07-19, 03:21 PM
ATC, check your inbox.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-19, 04:50 PM
Thanks but the combo I have works good for me.

Mellyrose
2007-07-19, 05:46 PM
Thanks but the combo I have works good for me.

Was that in response to wunala's PM? That's why the reply button is there. :roll:

stuart schechter
2007-07-19, 09:38 PM
So, uhh, what did he offer you! BUSTED!

AirtrafficController
2007-07-19, 09:54 PM
ATC, I missed what you are shooting with, but I assume it's a Canon. I'm surprised you don't have a copy of PhotoShop Elements - I've gotten copies with both Canon DSLRs I bought. It has just about everything you need to edit photos. I used it for well over a year, and probably 100 or more of my jp.net photos, before moving to the full version of PS.

Yep those days have come and gone. BTW i have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

nwafan20
2007-07-22, 12:24 AM

Yep those days have come and gone. BTW i have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

No, I got a copy with my XTi...

stuart schechter
2007-07-24, 06:28 PM
He probably ordered a bundle and they took it out. We'll see if they still ship with it. I am getting mine in 2 days.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-25, 09:39 AM
He probably ordered a bundle and they took it out. We'll see if they still ship with it. I am getting mine in 2 days.

Nope man, I bought it right off the shelf. No bundle just the camera body, lens, and card.

stuart schechter
2007-07-28, 12:39 AM
Matt, I just got mine and no Photoshop elements.