PDA

View Full Version : Officer Dies From Wounds Sustained During Brooklyn Shooting

emshighway
2007-07-14, 08:28 PM
July 14, 2007

Officer Russel Timoshenko, the young police officer shot Monday during a traffic shot in Brooklyn, has died.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Saturday evening that Timoshenko passed at the Kings County Hospital surrounded by family and members of the 71st Precinct.

"He made the ultimate sacrifice with unflinching sacrifice to do it; we are more committed than ever to the prosecution of the individuals responsible for his death,” said Kelly.

Kelly said Timoshenko passed away on his own; he had been paralyzed, suffered brain swelling, and was unable to breathe on his own since the shooting.

Upon hearing the news of Timoshenko's death, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has been out of town all week, will return to the city.

"While I can't know the anguish they are going through, I want Russel's parents, Leonid and Tatyana, to know their son was a hero," said Bloomberg in a statement. "It does not provide any consolation, but I am proud of the investigators who worked so swiftly to apprehend those that committed this detestable and cowardly act. Despite the best efforts of the team of medical professionals at Kings County Medical Center, Russel has now left this world and is in the hands of God. May he rest in peace."

Timoshenko, 23, and his partner Herman Yan pulled over a BMW SUV early Monday morning under the suspicion that it was stolen. Prosecutors say Dexter Bostic, 34, shot Timoshenko in the face while Robert Ellis, 34, shot Yan in the chest and the arm.

Yan, who was saved by his police vest, was released earlier this week from the hospital.

Prosecutors believe a third suspect, 29-year-old Lee Woods, was driving the SUV at the time of the shooting.

Three guns were found at the scene. Police say the one allegedly used by Bostic had also been used in a recent drive-by shooting in Queens.

Ellis and Bostic were arraigned on several charges including attempted murder, assault on a police officer, and weapons possession Friday. Neither suspect entered a plea; however, Ellis' attorney claimed that his client did not fire any shots. His attorney also said that Ellis was the driver and Bostic was in the passenger seat.

Both were extradited Thursday from Pennsylvania, where they had been captured after a four-day manhunt that stretched from Brooklyn to the Poconos.

Woods was charged Wednesday.

Kelly said the prosecution is already filing paperwork to increase the charges in response to Timoshenko's death.

All three suspects were ordered to be held without bail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest in Peace Russel

The bastards who gunned him down should receive the death penalty so they can burn in hell!!!

Matt Molnar
2007-07-14, 08:32 PM
Very sad.

Where's Sharpton?

hiss srq
2007-07-14, 08:38 PM
Very sad.

Where's Sharpton?

You won't see him, no suprise there either. Now nexdt time that idiot steps into the public light over police issues without justifyable cause I say we all write letters to that moron.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-14, 09:40 PM
Man feel bad for his family

cancidas
2007-07-14, 11:39 PM
when i heard this i pulled my old badge out of the drawer... still had the mourning band on it.

hope those *******s get the needle!

Matt Molnar
2007-07-14, 11:58 PM
hope those *******s get the needle!
This would only be possible if somehow the Feds take over the prosecution. I know this was done in the case of the Staten Island narc cops who got killed a few years ago, but I think that might have only been possible because there were drugs involved. Anyone know the details?

NYCMedic
2007-07-15, 01:42 AM
Very sad.

Where's Sharpton?

Reverend Al the Po' Man's Pal? You would only see his racist ass if the suspects were shot by cops. Even if it were two black cops shot by white kids Al would be silent. Look at how fast he was at the scene of the Shawn Bell shooting, Fat Nick in Howard Beach, the Duke Lacrosse players, and last but not least Tawana Brawley. .... The man has never worked an honest day in his life. People actually listen to his rhetoric and his propaganda like it is Gospel truth. Does anyone remember his freudin slip In the Shawn Bell case when he said the Officers should be shot, then said.....oops I mean indicted? No Justice, No Peace?

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-15, 02:32 AM
Isn't there some sort of death penalty "inclusion" for killing cops... i.e. if you kill a cop who you knew to be a cop when you killed him, you can get the death penalty?

If not there should be... Not only did these guys kill a cop, and try to kill another, but they are now being linked to multiple other crimes ranging from homicide to burglary to assault. These guys deserve the needle, or better yet the chair, and hopefully not after 10 years of appeals and after having wasted thousands of dollars of tax payers' money. Too many "savages" walk around the streets of NYC with no regard for any form of life or authority, police or otherwise. There's a problem in a lot of communities in NYC, and something has to change, and I believe the change has to come from within.

I just feel bad for the public defender who was tasked to represent these scum.

cancidas
2007-07-15, 02:36 AM
if only the firing squad still existed. i've got a 30-06 that hasn't been used much lately...

hiss srq
2007-07-15, 02:53 AM
if only the firing squad still existed. i've got a 30-06 that hasn't been used much lately...

For Sharpton too Matt?

NcSchu
2007-07-15, 11:13 AM
Why would you want him to get the death penalty, talk about getting off easy. Just send him to rot in prison for the rest of his life, I'm sure the guards will take great care of him...

emshighway
2007-07-15, 11:56 AM
Why would you want him to get the death penalty, talk about getting off easy. Just send him to rot in prison for the rest of his life, I'm sure the guards will take great care of him...

Why should we pay for these skells to have a room, food, exercise, television and conjugal visits? Even with the death penalty it averages 10 years before the sentence is executed.

Too bad they were caught in Pennsylvania. Maybe if they were still in the city justice would have been served.

cancidas
2007-07-15, 04:32 PM

so that my taxes can pay for his cable tv? NO! let me say no more on the matter though...

NYCMedic
2007-07-15, 07:27 PM

Why should we pay for these skells to have a room, food, exercise, television and conjugal visits? Even with the death penalty it averages 10 years before the sentence is executed.

Too bad they were caught in Pennsylvania. Maybe if they were still in the city justice would have been served.

I owe you a cold one for that Highway. Imagine those three in the tombs? Do you know any details of the job? Was Timoshenko tubed in the bus? What units picked up the job?

emshighway
2007-07-15, 07:43 PM
Don't know, just hope they didn't do what they did with Steven McDonald and throw him in the back of the RMP.

NYCMedic
2007-07-15, 08:52 PM
Well I am sure you've heard the lastest? The tourist from Seattle who sustained a C-Spine fracture at Yankee Stadium and was transported to Montefiore?.... Ummmm Lincoln, St. Barnabas, and Jacobi were all on diversion? I really hope the DOH jumps in the ring and investigates

emshighway
2007-07-15, 09:17 PM
Well I am sure you've heard the lastest? The tourist from Seattle who sustained a C-Spine fracture at Yankee Stadium and was transported to Montefiore?.... Ummmm Lincoln, St. Barnabas, and Jacobi were all on diversion? I really hope the DOH jumps in the ring and investigates

You know the deal, when all the trauma centers ask for diversion it is refused and all of them are advised they are opened. I've done it many times. The thing people (outside of EMS) don't realize is diversion is a request and the hospital can not refuse the patient.

This is the good old patient steering case by a private ambulance service motivated by $$. They did not help the patient by bouncing him with a legit C-Spine injury to a distant hospital. If they were so worried about the diversions they would have gone to Presby.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-15, 09:51 PM
Any of you guys a member of "the Rant"?

T-Bird76
2007-07-15, 11:04 PM

Man do I agree with that 200%! I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelash if somehow some officers had to defend themselves in their apprehension. "opps we thought he pulled his gun on us."

23 years old is simply way to young, its just heartbreaking to hear this. Here's someone brand-new on the force, helping to make the city a better place and a simple routine traffic stop and his life is over. Now I know why my friend who's a NYC cop tells me traffic stops are the most dangerous kind of stops.

emshighway
2007-07-16, 10:59 AM
The two most dangerous parts are car stops and domestic violence calls.

NYCMedic
2007-07-16, 03:47 PM
In case anyone was interested:

Police Officer Russel Timoshenko LOD 71st Pct.

Viewing

Date: Tuesday, July 17, and Wednesday July 18, 2007

Time: 1600 - 2100 Hours

1895 Flatbush Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
Phone# 718 377 8610

Funeral Service

Date: Thursday, July 19, 2007

Time: 0930 Hours

1895 Flatbush Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
Phone# 718 377 8610