PDA

View Full Version : JFK 8/15-8/16

pittspilot28
2007-07-11, 08:02 PM
Hey all,
I'm new to this group but found it helpful in planning my trip to JFK August 15th and 16th. My friend and I are comming from KRDU and KBOS early in the AM and are planning to some a bunch of spotting hopefully. If anyone is interested in meeting us to show us the ropes it would be wonderful. Will pay for lunch or whatever works! Feel free to e-mail me [email protected] Thanks! -Josh A

AirtrafficController
2007-07-11, 08:07 PM
cool and welcome to the forum. You will find many spotting locations around JFK and the other NY airports and my fellow members will be happy to assist you.
Welcome

T-Bird76
2007-07-11, 09:51 PM
Sorry those are work days otherwise if the WX was good I'd join you.

pittspilot28
2007-08-13, 06:47 PM
getting ready to go to JFK week wednesday at 8am-thursday 7pm if anyone can meet us we'll be staying at the ramada at jfk, at night we are headed to the city for dinner somewheres nice....hope to see some of you guys there! -Josh

pittspilot28
2007-08-14, 02:49 PM
I've got a quick question for you all, are the mounds near the Ramada hotel? if so is it within walking distance? I am trying to figure that out based on the map there....thanks! -Josh

AirtrafficController
2007-08-14, 02:54 PM
Whats the hotel address so I can help you guys.

adam613
2007-08-14, 05:20 PM
I've got a quick question for you all, are the mounds near the Ramada hotel? if so is it within walking distance? I am trying to figure that out based on the map there....thanks! -Josh

The Mounds aren't near much of anything besides a working-class residential neighborhood. I've been to most of the spotting locations without a car...if you tell me where the hotel is I can give you mass-transit directions.

pittspilot28
2007-08-14, 05:36 PM
Bldng 144 Van Wyck Expressway
JFK International Airport
Jamaica/JFK Airport, NY, 11430 US

thats the addy I see on their webpage. I am hoping to go to the mounds since it seems like a good spot...howard beach seems cool too....anyway thanks for any help! -Josh

adam613
2007-08-15, 12:00 AM
Oh it's inside the airport. That's good...you can pick up all comms on your scanner. But it's not within walking distance of anything...JFK is HUGE.

If you don't have a car, here's what you need to know:

Get the Queens Bus Map at any subway station. It shows everything I'm talking about here.

The Q113 bus goes between three prime spotting locations. For the Mounds, exit at 147th Ave and 230th St. For Costco/Burger King, exit when you see the stores (They're on Rockaway Blvd; I can't remember the cross streets). For Bayswater Park, exit at Bay Channel Drive and Mott Ave in Far Rockaway and walk up Mott Ave (the street numbers should be increasing) to the end. It's about a mile.

You can get to the Q113 bus by either taking the A subway line to Mott Ave (the station is at Mott Ave and Bay Channel Drive) or taking the AirTrain to the Jamaica station and then taking the E subway train to the end of the line (one stop away; do not get on the train that goes to Manhattan. Unless you want to go to Manhattan.).

The Laurelton station on the Long Island Railroad is pretty close to The Mounds, at 141st Rd and 225th St. You can get to the Long Island Railroad by taking the AirTrain to the Jamaica station.

Taking the A train to Mott Ave and walking is also a good way to get to Bayswater Park. You can get to the A subway line by taking the AirTrain to the Howard Beach station.

There's a Long Island Railroad station 3 blocks east of the Mott Ave A train station. I can't imagine why that would be useful to you, unless you need travel between Bayswater and Manhattan, but it's there.

Keep in mind that the Mounds and Bayswater are in pretty bad neighborhoods. Don't display any fancy electronics, don't stick around after dark, and make sure you know where you're going.

Any questions? :)

Iberia A340-600
2007-08-15, 02:21 AM
I believe the Ramada is within walking distance from Cargo Plaza which is a location used to spot arrivals into 13L. The spot however is not public property and you must always take extra caution there due to that issue.

If you look in this image:

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=google ... &z=16&om=1 (http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=google&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&ll=40.662557,-73.799179&spn=0.008252,0.014591&t=k&z=16&om=1)

You will see the Ramada is that Y shaped building in the top left hand corner and Cargo Plaza is that field right before the threshold to 13L.

NIKV69
2007-08-15, 07:18 AM
Yep. Basically the cargo area is all you can really walk to. The public transpo info posted in this thread is goods and will help you. If you don't paying a little extra a cab can bring you to the mounds or Brookvilll Park and you can walk. I was going to spot today but I went yesterday and the humidty is going to rise today with the temp and that may be haze, this plus the fact I got a ton of crap to do this afternoon knocks me out. Good luck and enjoy the day.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-15, 09:07 AM
Technically, I really do not condone Cargo Plaza as it is not public property. However, there's a shuttle bus that takes you through there that you can pick up from Federal Circle off of the AirTrain. There are two buses, one for the Service Road and one for the Cargo Area. They are free.

Informant
2007-08-15, 02:22 PM
When that new Terminal 5 parking lot goes up you all should have a good view from there.

pittspilot28
2007-08-16, 09:15 PM
Well I just arrived home in Boston after a very fun 2 days. Thanks to Eric, Tom and the other guy (was it Kenny?) for showing us the great spots and giving us all the info we needed. The mounds was a great spot as was that cargo place. I will post pictures tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks again guys for everything! -Josh