PDA

View Full Version : American Pulling out of SWF from September 5th

Iberia A340-600
2007-07-11, 03:49 PM
From September 5th American Eagle will be pulling their two daily ERJ-145 flights from SWF.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2007/07/swf.html

Quiet upsetting on my part, American was also the first airline to start flights to SWF.

Guess I won't be flying them to ORD from SWF in December. :(

AirtrafficController
2007-07-11, 05:24 PM
hey when an airline can't make profit in a city it has to move :(

Tom_Turner
2007-07-11, 10:52 PM
Okay, lets keep score.

Port Authority is now 0-1 for SWF. Lets see when they get back to .500 ball.....

Tom

njgtr82
2007-07-11, 11:14 PM
Speaking of the port.... I have heard that ACY will infact be their next airport. I think that will be a good move. Everyone who lives down near me in the South Jersey area prefers ACY over EWR and PHL. Spirit must be doing pretty good as they continue to add routes from there as well.

Nycfly75
2007-07-12, 09:31 AM
Cheer up Gordon, from what I hear on the "other side" RyanAir and some LCC's have SWF in their sights for its "NYC" service. Once a rail link is set up, SWF will be the perfect airport for many LCC's to set up shop. SWF would for Ryan's business model perfectly.

adam613
2007-07-12, 10:34 AM
Cheer up Gordon, from what I hear on the "other side" RyanAir and some LCC's have SWF in their sights for its "NYC" service. Once a rail link is set up, SWF will be the perfect airport for many LCC's to set up shop. SWF would for Ryan's business model perfectly.

SWF would fit a lot of business models perfectly if there was a train across the river to the Metro-North...

Nycfly75
2007-07-12, 10:48 AM
Well imagine in the "fine" tradition of Ryanair:

...Girona (Barcelona)
Frankfurt (Hahn)
London (Stansted)
New York (Newburgh)....

Matt Molnar
2007-07-12, 10:54 AM
Once a rail link is set up, SWF will be the perfect airport for many LCC's to set up shop.
What is the rail link going to link to? Metro-North?

Nycfly75
2007-07-12, 12:07 PM
NJ Transit I believe.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-12, 12:27 PM
Found a story about the rail link, just printed yesterday! :)

Daily Freeman:

Rail link to Stewart Airport takes step forward (http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18571854&BRD=1769&PAG=461&dept_id=74958&rfi=6)
By Hank Gross, Correspondent
07/11/2007

THE STATE has begun studying the feasibility of creating a rail link between the Metro-North station in Salisbury Mills and Stewart International Airport, 3 miles to the east.

Developing the rail link is seen as a means to grow the airport by providing the direct link from the New York City metropolitan area to Stewart. And because the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is expected to take over operation of the New Windsor airport this fall, the study is seen as timely. The Port Authority already operates Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark airports.

Robert Dennison of Kingston, chief engineer for the state Department of Transportation, announced the feasibility study on Tuesday during an Orange County Chamber of Commerce breakfast in the town of Newburgh. Metro-North, which operates the rail line, has been pushing for link between Salisbury Mills and Stewart.

Dennison also said the Port Authority's takeover of Stewart is significant.

"The Port Authority is uniquely positioned as an airport operator in that it changes the dynamic between the airport operator and getting air service at the airport," he said. "The Port Authority controls most of the air gates in the New York metro region, so the negotiations between an airline company and the Port Authority are different than between an airline company and NEG."

British-based National Express Group has been operating Stewart for the past six years under a 99-year lease with the state, which owns the airport. NEG is selling the remaining 93 years of the lease to the Port Authority.

bluejuice
2007-07-12, 01:31 PM
They would have to improve the service from Salisbury mills to NYC as the trip now is over 1 1/2 hrs long and then you have to transfer into NYC via path trains. This is roughly a two hr trip into manhatten and then subway to where ever. The schedule itself is rough as it is mostly one limited to either city bound in the AM and north bound in PM.

Iberia A340-600
2007-09-06, 10:26 AM
Well as mentioned the last flight was indeed yesterday.

Hopefully Air Tran will come in with a MDW-SWF route sooner or later or maybe even Southwest will jump the gun!

Here was my last shot of American Eagle at SWF taken on August 3rd:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/swfshots/americaneaglerj.jpg

ahazzard1289
2007-09-06, 03:28 PM
Great shot! I have only been successful with AA. I have tried others, and found them not as good. Even if SWF gets Air Tran or Southwest, they would only service Midway not O'Hare. O'Hare has better connections than MDW.Also, the last flight was NOT yesterday, it was Sept. 4th. News articles made a mistake.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-09-06, 10:09 PM
For Metro North Connections, isn't there the Newburgh-Beacon Link?