PDA

View Full Version : NY Area Ground Stop

Matt Molnar
2007-07-10, 04:03 PM
The FAA has halted all departures from JFK, LGA and EWR due to weather, according to 1010 WINS.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-10, 04:12 PM
Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE and WEATHER/TSTMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 58 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Delays by Destination:

* Due to WEATHER/HAZE, departure traffic destined to General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 30 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS/VSBY., departure traffic destined to Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR) is currently experiencing delays averaging 2 hours and 31 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 9 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE, departure traffic destined to Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 22 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/ENROUTE, departure traffic destined to Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Baltimore, MD (BWI) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/ENROUTE, departure traffic destined to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Washington, DC (DCA) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS, departure traffic destined to Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS, NO ROUTES, departure traffic destined to Teterboro Airport, Teterboro, NJ (TEB) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.

General Departure Delays: Due to TM Initiatives:MIT/MINIT:WX:Swap, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 1 hour and 16 minutes and 1 hour and 30 minutes in length and increasing.

General Arrival Delays: Arrival traffic is experiencing airborne delays of 15 minutes or less.

This information was last updated: Jul 10, 2007 at 8:10 PM GMT+00:00

Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE and WEATHER/TSTMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 9 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Delays by Destination:

* Due to WEATHER/HAZE, departure traffic destined to General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 30 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS/VSBY., departure traffic destined to Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR) is currently experiencing delays averaging 2 hours and 31 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE, departure traffic destined to John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 58 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE, departure traffic destined to Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 22 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/ENROUTE, departure traffic destined to Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Baltimore, MD (BWI) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/LACK OF RTES, departure traffic destined to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Washington, DC (DCA) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 5:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS, departure traffic destined to Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS, NO ROUTES, departure traffic destined to Teterboro Airport, Teterboro, NJ (TEB) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:00 pm EDT.

General Departure Delays: Due to TM Initiatives:MIT/MINIT:WX:Swap, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 1 hour and 16 minutes and 1 hour and 30 minutes in length and increasing.

General Arrival Delays: Arrival traffic is experiencing airborne delays of 15 minutes or less.

This information was last updated: Jul 10, 2007 at 8:09 PM GMT+00:00

Due to WEATHER/TSTMS/VSBY. and WEATHER/TSTMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 2 hours and 31 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Delays by Destination:

* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE, departure traffic destined to John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 58 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/TSTMS ENRTE, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 9 minutes.
* Due to WEATHER/LACK OF RTES, departure traffic destined to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Washington, DC (DCA) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 5:00 pm EDT.

General Departure Delays: Due to WX:SWAP, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 1 hour and 46 minutes and 2 hours in length and increasing.

This information was last updated: Jul 10, 2007 at 8:11 PM GMT+00:00

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-10, 04:15 PM
How can haze make an airport close down?

AirtrafficController
2007-07-10, 04:17 PM
Holy %hit have to listen to ATC

moose135
2007-07-10, 04:18 PM
How can haze make an airport close down?

Low visibility.

njgtr82
2007-07-10, 05:05 PM
That stop was temporary.... flights are slowly trickling out due to thunderstorms around the area.

hiss srq
2007-07-10, 05:17 PM
Yep, there are a few holes to get out through. the issue is you need the spaceing. That and these holes grow and shrink around the area. It is going to be a boomer of a night. Off to the beach to surf now.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-10, 06:03 PM
I think the biggest problem is storms down south, scattered between Atlanta and D.C. I took a look at the radar a little while ago, and there are numerous storms, many severe, throughout that region. Not to mention that a line of storms moved through D.C. and Baltimore a little while ago...

hiss srq
2007-07-10, 06:16 PM
Yes that too. Bad news for CLT and the shuttle as usual.

Gerard
2007-07-10, 07:26 PM
The FAA has halted all departures from JFK, LGA and EWR due to weather, according to 1010 WINS.

Got off the train at Hicksville at 5:30 and you can see the scud clouds racing in off the ocean. Helped cool it off and FRG is landing ILS 14 now. Chopper 12 buzzed past my house low just east of 14 into FRG about 6:30.

LGA777
2007-07-10, 08:23 PM
Real ZOO at LGA today. We where up and down for 22 for about 4 hours as they needed 13-31 to stage aircraft. Around 1730 the departure line was at about 70 aircraft, by 1900 it was down to 50. The ATC Command Center at Herdon, Va sent out a msg saying it was one of the worst days they had seen!

Regards

LGA777

hiss srq
2007-07-10, 09:02 PM
Whew! Thank god I am of today! I seem to get lucky alot.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-10, 11:36 PM
How many "stranded 7+ hours on the tarmac" horror stories will we read tomorrow?

Sorry if you're working Wednesday...the forecast looks a lot worse than today's, with severe t-storms and heavy showers expected from noon through the evening.

Laxgoaly
2007-07-10, 11:54 PM
TEB seemed to be fine all day, regular departures all got out OK, maybe rich people get exemptions!

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 12:04 AM
How many "stranded 7+ hours on the tarmac" horror stories will we read tomorrow?

Sorry if you're working Wednesday...the forecast looks a lot worse than today's, with severe t-storms and heavy showers expected from noon through the evening.

Nope, I wil again be drinking blue moons in my back yard lazily watching the boats and water. Now if Thurs. looks that way than I will get alot of sleep tomorrow night and morning lol.

airmale516
2007-07-11, 12:14 AM
yup, another $hit $how at lga... and the issue was not so much weather, i work in ops, the pilots said the wx was not that bad... as per our (nwa) dispatch and my freind who works for aa, his disptach also comfirmed, yet another atc meltdown...

njgtr82
2007-07-11, 12:17 AM
yup, another $hit $how at lga... and the issue was not so much weather, i work in ops, the pilots said the wx was not that bad... as per our (nwa) dispatch and my freind who works for aa, his disptach also comfirmed, yet another atc meltdown...
I guess they all missed the level 6 thunderstorms that were spread out from SC up to NJ and then out west from Michigan down to Texas

nwafan20
2007-07-11, 12:19 AM
I guess they all missed the level 6 thunderstorms that were spread out from SC up to NJ and then out west from Michigan down to Texas

Not much activity out here in Michigan, just the tip of it. a few drops of rain and some thunder for about 20 minutes, that was it.

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 12:21 AM

I didnt! :lol: I won't tomorrow either. I hope to though thursday! I saw them on radar. Quite nasty little buggers if I do say so myself.

njgtr82
2007-07-11, 12:27 AM
Now it looks like the visibility has dropped down to 1 mile at JFK due to fog and they are holding traffic

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 12:31 AM
That would be accurate. It is even worse over here. Because of the bay and the ocean I cannot seecrap. I barely can see my car in the driveway from my room right now.

cancidas
2007-07-11, 12:52 AM

it got interesting for a while. there were quite a few flights that had 3+ hour taxi times. no bad news coverage for US today though, thankfully.

the most interesting sight was seeing A and B taxiways as well as rwy 31 being used to stage airplanes for departure. makes me wish i had my camera.

Art at ISP
2007-07-11, 08:12 AM
Has anyone thought that the FAA Could be overreacting to weather to make a case for changes in funding, ie. user fees? OR could the controllers union be somewhat involved.

I saw the radar, there were certainly storms, but there were holes also.

Greetings from SDQ--here till tomorrow, unfortunately on business.
Flew AA--because I couldn't take a chance on not getting here.

For my friends at US--fasten your seatbelts. Something is coming--more later.

Best,
Art

mirrodie
2007-07-11, 09:15 AM
flew into JFK last nightand it was insane.

The route to 22L at JFK took us over Long Island and it was just a solid blanket with periodic hazes of white light permeating through. To describe it more accurately, as we turned final, towards Manhattan, all you saw was the tops of the Empire State Building as well as a few others. The rest was blanketed.

As we descended, nothing of hte runway came ito view until we were perhaps 80 feet AGL. I took some videos b/c it was SO insanely foggy.

Later, I was tlaking with the pilot. He stated the and other pilots were complaining that the taxiway lights were too bright as a result of the low lying fog and haze.

As we taxied off 22L, you could not see JFK tower.

Pretty foggy night.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-11, 09:52 AM
Wow that fog can be really thick and not to mention the RVR kept changing this morning.

Iberia A340-600
2007-07-11, 09:52 AM
My mothers friend and son were supposed to fly out of LGA last night down to MIA on an American flight and then make a connecting flight on LAN down to Lima. Her flight got canceled to MIA so she missed her connection in Miami and in Lima. Hopefully today she can get out at some point!

My sister also flew out of JFK last night on LA531 but it looks like she was only delayed 54 minutes.

NYARTCCFAN
2007-07-11, 09:58 AM
should prove to be another interesting day in the NE corridor

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 10:30 AM
Gotta love the FAA philosophy of 1-2-3. One plane, two clouds, three hours.

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-11, 10:32 AM
Mario, I had a similar experience from the cockpit one evening. We were coming into ILS 13L in a bad storm and we broke through the clouds at just under 200ft.....and the landing lights were certainly blinding. That's got to be dangerous.

T-Bird76
2007-07-11, 10:47 AM
Funny with all the delays yesterday and what seems to be bad luck anytime I fly home I landed early from SEA.

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 11:37 AM
Oh,Tommy's back. No wonder I smelled Irish potatoe and corned beef near JFK last night. ;)

PHL Approach
2007-07-11, 11:48 AM
OR could the controllers union be somewhat involved.

Best,
Art

Come on now Art, this isn't US. There is no such thing as a controller slowdown!

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 11:54 AM
[quote="Art at ISP":3e4ac]OR could the controllers union be somewhat involved.

Best,
Art

Come on now Art, this isn't US. There is no such thing as a controller slowdown![/quote:3e4ac]

(Bitch smacks Ed for that comment.)

NYARTCCFAN
2007-07-11, 01:47 PM
Cent Pa radar shot as of 1:40 pm

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 11&loop=no (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ccx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no)

Matt Molnar
2007-07-11, 02:30 PM
Cent Pa radar shot as of 1:40 pm
It's actually as of right now, or whenever you click it. :)

It's going to be getting rough soon, a line is forming in western Jersey and should be here in an hour or so, and two massive lines behind it in central and western PA.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-11, 02:39 PM
The FAA delay map looks like it has chicken pox...EVERY airport is a red dot, indicating "Departures are experiencing taxi delays greater than 45 minutes and/or arrivals are experiencing airborne holding delays greater than 45 minutes." I've never seen that before.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Art at ISP
2007-07-11, 05:07 PM
[quote="Art at ISP":857e2]OR could the controllers union be somewhat involved.

Best,
Art

Come on now Art, this isn't US. There is no such thing as a controller slowdown![/quote:857e2]

No offense, my friend, but a good friend of ours works at NY Tracon, and she spent Sunday with her family in our pool, and based on our conversation, anything is possible.

Good luck in PHL....

And sorry Ryan and Ron, but there is a heap of bad news coming for US, and it should hit any day now.

I'll let you know privately when I have confirmation.

RDU-JFK
2007-07-11, 05:11 PM
And sorry Ryan and Ron, but there is a heap of bad news coming for US, and it should hit any day now.

I'll let you know privately when I have confirmation.

Why can't the rest of us know?

I don't know about anyone else here but if you're gonna say something like this on a forum you should expect to share it on the forum. Otherwise send a PM to Ryan and Ron. I fly US quite often and am curious to know of any 'bad news' as I have several trips with them in the future...

If this news is private, that's fine, but don't tease the rest of us!!!

Art at ISP
2007-07-11, 05:26 PM
I will share the news in detail when I have confirmation.

Let's just say it will be the first ever customer revolt in the airline business....

More at http://www.ffocus.org.

That's all for now but please stay tuned.

hiss srq
2007-07-11, 06:00 PM
Running 15 in trail over Pottstown right now for PHL departures. On another note there is a big fire on the oil refinery across the way and air traffic is being slowed up by a slew of new choppers currently around the area and one is not talking to PHL tower though in theri coverage area. Rough day there. yeesh!

njgtr82
2007-07-11, 08:16 PM
Today is by far alot worse then yesterday, at least at EWR. We had no arrivals or departures for at least 45 mins from a thunderstorm that pretty much stalled out over the field.

PHL Approach
2007-07-12, 01:13 AM
Running 15 in trail over Pottstown right now for PHL departures.

15 thats IT!! That's actually pretty damn good. Most days it's 25 for PTW, MXE and STOEN. Hell one night we had like 35 goin to DITCH. Never seen that many heavies on sierra all waiting to get off.

hiss srq
2007-07-27, 06:16 PM
So LGA and PHL are groundstop due to GRIDLOCK and weather. PHL is currently in worse shape the only departure fix they are useing is DITCH which coincidentaly is what I think we should do if it is going to get that bad tonight.

cancidas
2007-07-28, 02:44 AM
i didn't leave work until 0130, due to late inbound aircraft. there were still 2 arrivals enroute for LGA when i left. today was bad, but with the wx that was headed our way i can honestly understand. should have posted our radar picture earlier, was too busy to even remember.

Smartass Flyboy
2007-07-28, 03:49 AM
I spoke to Benita around 2300 and I think we got it worse at JFK. We still had 2 LHR's on the gate with 2 more entering their second and third hour taxiing. GRU and CDG also still on the ground and we already had 1 come back and cancel. The line came around Siera and up past Terminal 1 around that time. I was finally out at 0045. We were expecting EWR diversions, but they made it in, now big question was how late did curfew go at LGA? On better news, I'm off tomorrow, enjoy the clean up day. :P

njgtr82
2007-07-28, 04:48 AM
I spoke to Benita around 2300 and I think we got it worse at JFK. We still had 2 LHR's on the gate with 2 more entering their second and third hour taxiing. GRU and CDG also still on the ground and we already had 1 come back and cancel. The line came around Siera and up past Terminal 1 around that time. I was finally out at 0045. We were expecting EWR diversions, but they made it in, now big question was how late did curfew go at LGA? On better news, I'm off tomorrow, enjoy the clean up day. :P

Diversions from EWR? The weather didn't hit til after 11 pm and they would go to SWF anyway. 2-3 hours is nothing, delays at EWR were in the 4-5 hour range before flights cancelled. The tracon and center were favoring departures from LGA over EWR to prevent gridlock. Did it work I have no idea, someone here can fill us in on that. The only thing that left was international departures going over Merit and Greki. So it sounds like JFK had it easy.

hiss srq
2007-07-28, 10:08 AM
The fact that they favored us at LGA on the departure end unfortuneately did not do much to help. By the point where we were keeping them rolling most carriers had cancelled the vast majority of the flights. They should have kept priority on EWR personally last night I think. When we needed to move things which was around 1700 and 1800 LCL we could not do it. All and all I left at Midnight on the dot. Clean up should be horrific today. I have not called or looked but I expect above average movement when I get to the top today at 1300. We shall see. I do not think we will turn LGA into a parking lot again today but yesterday it was another one of those days where Alpha and Bravo were nose to tail nose to tail.

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-28, 04:04 PM
Mel and I flew out of ISP and took a bit of a delay because of ground hold in BWI due to thunder storms. I'm surprised it didn't hit NY sooner.

hiss srq
2007-07-28, 04:50 PM
It broke apart as it was moving east of EWR. My car and the house was not even damp. It dissapatred and than re developed over Conneticut and is closeing BOS as we speak.