PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is it dark?

hiss srq
2007-07-10, 01:38 AM
So I am sitting here enjoying my perch at work and wondering to myself Gosh it must be really hazy our or something and I pull the bino's out to look at manhatten. Sure enough it looks like every darn light in Manhatten is out. The Crysler building is about the only building thats got lights save for the beacons on the top of several taller buildings. Is there an outage of some sort on Manhatten or something or is it power conservation due to the high power loads on the grid because of the heat the last day or so?

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-10, 10:09 AM
My guess is power conservation. I'm pretty sure the ESB shuts off its lights at midnight or shortly thereafter, and hopefully with this heat, a lot of offices reminded their employees to shut off their lights as they left...

I don't think there were any outages last night, especially around Midtown. My A/C and all appliances worked all through the night.

pgengler
2007-07-10, 10:12 AM
I think that most of the buildings turn their lights off at night; the ESB around midnight, and the other buildings with well-lit exteriors around the same time. I've noticed, as you did, that the Chrysler Building stays light all night, though. As for other lights being out, most likely it's just the offices being better about turning off the lights (probably to save power); I notice it that on weekends, the city is a lot darker than a typical weeknight.

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-10, 12:37 PM
Ryan, lower your dosage.

hiss srq
2007-07-10, 02:59 PM
No, it seemed unusually dark last night. Normally it is a bit more lit up that time of early wee morning.

cancidas
2007-07-10, 03:12 PM
you need to share what you're smoking...