PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Tour Helicopter Safe River Landing

Gerard
2007-07-07, 08:58 PM
A Liberty Helicopters EC-130 with 8 passengers along with pilot made an emergency landing in the Hudson River this afternoon. I wont say crash because from the looks of it no damage and no injuries. Floats were deployed and the copter landed upright. Sounds like a textbook emergency landing to me.

Gerard
2007-07-07, 09:11 PM
[ I wont say crash because from the looks of it no damage and no injuries

Well maybe SOME damage (LOL) from a picture i just saw on the Daily News website. Looks like the rotors and rotor hub had damage. BUT everyone walked (boated?) away so that is the most important thing.
Of course the media cant get it right so far. A number of reports say that a "Helicopter with pontoons" crashed not realizing its emergency floation gear was activated. And another report said it was an EC-135.
Oh well.
One rumor I heard on another helo related forum that it was an engine flameout and the female pilot reacted cooly.
Nice work!!

emshighway
2007-07-07, 10:44 PM
Any time you walk away it's a good landing.

Heard one of the passengers is an FDNY EMT, good to hear he is OK.

Tom_Turner
2007-07-08, 03:49 AM
So, one chopper into the River for each of the East Side heliports in the last few months (or 2006?) and now one for the West Side.

Sounds like we're all evened up now. :)

Tom

Gerard
2007-07-08, 10:09 AM
[quote="Tom_Turner"]So, one chopper into the River for each of the East Side heliports in the last few months (or 2006?) and now one for the West Side.

Lets keep it that way. :O)
Yes the 206L out of Wall Street and the S76 out of 34st last summer.

Tom_Turner
2007-07-08, 02:33 PM
So, one chopper into the River for each of the East Side heliports in the last few months (or 2006?) and now one for the West Side.

Lets keep it that way. :)
Yes the 206L out of Wall Street and the S76 out of 34st last summer.

Yes, lets leave it as is... :)

We're even evened up in the three major manufacturers of local examples... Bell, Eurocopter and Sikorsky.

Anthony Weiner is probably gong to have something to say..... :(

Gerard
2007-07-08, 05:33 PM
[quote="Tom_Turner"][quote="Gerard"][quote="Tom_Turner"]So, one
>Anthony Weiner is probably gong to have something to say..... :<

Forgot about that jerk. I wish they would interview the pilot but Liberty
is keeping her hidden (for now). She did an EXCELLENT job landing that ship safely and they could use her for making a positive out of a negative.
Some good PR.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-09, 01:29 AM
I read in the Post that the chopper sunk. Any truth to that?

njgtr82
2007-07-09, 01:10 PM
Heres some video footage and interviews of pax on board
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... .crash.cnn (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/07/09/intv.family.survives.helicopter.crash.cnn)

Gerard
2007-07-09, 07:15 PM
I read in the Post that the chopper sunk. Any truth to that?

None. Its sitting on a pier in Jersey awaiting inspection by the NTSB.