PDA

View Full Version : Getting to LaGuardia

Chris102
2007-07-06, 10:58 PM
I'll be in NY at the end of July, and one of the thing's I'll be coming to do is to get a picture of Trump at LaGuardia. Hopefully VPBDJ will be there.

What is the quickest, easiest, safest, and cheapest way to get to LaGuardia from downtown Manhattan?

Also, when's a good time to get to the airport for good light and less traffic?

hiss srq
2007-07-06, 11:20 PM
I think it is 2 train to like 125th and than M60. I might be wrtong about the train. This is starting off at Columbus Circle.

Mellyrose
2007-07-07, 10:32 AM
Where downtown are you coming from? You should probably take the N to Astoria Blvd and then a short ride on the M60. The N is pretty central downtown, and it's an express train (also cheap...will only cost you $2 including transfer) but let me know where you're coming from.

cancidas
2007-07-07, 01:00 PM
mel is right. the N to astoria and then the M60. VP-BDJ is in BOS, on the way home from SNN.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VPBDJ

Chris102
2007-07-08, 03:03 PM
Where downtown are you coming from? You should probably take the N to Astoria Blvd and then a short ride on the M60. The N is pretty central downtown, and it's an express train (also cheap...will only cost you $2 including transfer) but let me know where you're coming from.

I think I'll be coming from Greenwich Village.

I'll be in town with my family, (my mom and sister have hair appointments in Greenwich Village) so I'll probably have time for the airport in the afternoon.

Does it take a while to get to the airport? My dad thinks it's "too far" from Manhattan to be able to get there and back in a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to take too long, because I want to do some sight seeing at the World Financial Center, Rockefeller Center, and Trump Tower - I don't want to spend my whole day at the airport.

Is it worth it to go to LGA just for one plane? :?
I know I'll never get to see Trump land at the airport close to me (AVP), so LGA is my only way to see it, but too I don't want to spend my whole day traveling to/from the airport. And I don't want to get all the way out to Queens to find out it's not there.

Mellyrose
2007-07-08, 03:42 PM
The N is your best bet still and it will take you about an hour one-way with the bus. If you can get confirmation that Trump is there, then go for it. Check the boards and ask around, but don't make the trip blind.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-08, 07:38 PM
Trump's plane is out A LOT, so don't make a trip out there just for that, unless it is POSITIVELY there...

As far as transportation goes, I do it all the time from the East Side of Manhattan... 4 or 5 to 125 and then M60 is best bet, especially if you want a seat on the bus... But beware around rush hours, as traffic on 125 can be a little heavy...

From Greenwich Village, as was said N/W (W only on weekdays) to Astoria BLVD then M60 is your best bet... I'd get off on 82nd Street and I think it's 32nd Ave (right where Landing Light Park is) and walk across the Freeway. That way you don't have to ride the bus all the way around LGA, through the terminals and all. It'll save you like 20 minutes but cost you a few blocks walking...

Chris102
2007-07-09, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I found out today Trump will be gone for maintainence on the 25th, and will be gone for a few months - pretty disappointing, as I was really looking forward to seeing the plane :cry:

I guess I have bad luck - this is the 2nd time my plans to see VPBDJ didn't work out

shamrock838
2007-07-10, 03:51 PM
Greetings,

From the Village on the east side ... you can take any uptown Lexington Avenue Line ... #4, 5 (express) or #6 (local) from Union Square to Grand Central Station ... go downstairs to the #7 Flushing Line level ... take the Main Street bound #7 local to 74th Street ... step down to street level and catch the Q33 bus direct to the LGA terminal.

If you're in the West Village ... take the uptown 7th Avenue Line #1 (local) or #2-3 (express) from 14th Street to Times Square ... go downstairs and take the #7 local as above.

Both ways work!

Mike (shamrock838)

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-10, 04:51 PM
Greetings,

From the Village on the east side ... you can take any uptown Lexington Avenue Line ... #4, 5 (express) or #6 (local) from Union Square to Grand Central Station ... go downstairs to the #7 Flushing Line level ... take the Main Street bound #7 local to 74th Street ... step down to street level and catch the Q33 bus direct to the LGA terminal.

If you're in the West Village ... take the uptown 7th Avenue Line #1 (local) or #2-3 (express) from 14th Street to Times Square ... go downstairs and take the #7 local as above.

Both ways work!

Mike (shamrock838)

If you don't mind taking the long/scenic route!