PDA

View Full Version : VH-71

Gerard
2007-07-05, 06:12 PM
The first prototype of the VH-71 Kestrel, the USMC new presidential transport helicopter flew for the first time on July 3. It flew at the AgustaWestland factory in Yeovil, UK for about one hour with an Agusta A109 chase helicopter alongside.
For all who dont know (I didnt) a "Kestrel" is a bird of prey falcon common in Europe, Africa and Asia though it has been seen in the Northeast US.

cancidas
2007-07-05, 09:53 PM
saw this on flight global at work today. glad they chose the EH101, looks much better than the S-92. kind of ironic that the president of the US is going to be transported by a british helo.

First VH-71 presidential helicopter flies
By Graham Warwick

AgustaWestland has flown the first test aircraft built specifically for the Lockheed Martin VH-71 US presidential helicopter programme. The aircraft made a 40min flight on 3 July from the company's facility in Yeovil, UK.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/EH101_TV2.jpg

Under Increment 1 of the programme, three additional test aircraft will fly by early 2008 and five pilot-production VH-71s will be delivered by October 2009 to meet the urgent requirement for a new presidential helicopter.

An improved version of the helicopter with increased performance will be developed for Increment 2. This will have uprated engines, a new transmission, longer rotor blades and extended tailboom to give the helicopter longer range and a command and control capability while in flight.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/EH101_TV1.jpg

Orginal plans called for 18 new Increment 2 helicopters, plus upgrades to the Increment 1 machines, but because of the extensive changes the VH-71 team has recommended production of 23 new Increement 2 helicopters.

These will be assembled in the USA by Bell Helicopter, with missionisation by Lockheed Martin.

The first VH-71, designated Test Vehicle #2, will complete initial shake-down flying and begin avionics and systems testing in the UK before being delivered to the US Navy's test centre in Patuxent River, Maryland in the fourth quarter for structural testing.

VH-71 prime contractor Lockheed Martin is already using an EH101, designated TV-1, for initial testing in the USA, including landings on the White House lawn.

one interesting note is that the helo doesn't actually land on the lawn. there are concrete blocks in the lawn installed at the exact spots where the wheels are on the S-3 to keep the helo from destroying the lawn. at least thats what a USMC pilot once told me...

Chris102
2007-07-06, 07:27 PM
The new United States Presidential Helicopter took it's first flight in the UK :roll:

For some reason, that really pisses me off.

SengaB
2007-07-06, 07:33 PM
Its amazing. To me as time goes by planes seem to get more and more boring and shapeless but yet helicopters keep getting more and more attractive and stylish.
Senga

nwafan20
2007-07-06, 08:30 PM
Its amazing. To me as time goes by planes seem to get more and more boring and shapeless but yet helicopters keep getting more and more attractive and stylish.
Senga

Boring? Shapeless? 787? Noooo.... Lol :D

Tom_Turner
2007-07-06, 09:33 PM
Sorry, its not without its visual merits, but in the end, the 787 looks like a test tube morphing of Boeing & Airbus DNA.... another big twin...

The EH order maybe a favor to Tony Blair and the UK. They were/are there in Afghanistan and Iraq after all..... I'm sure its a good product.

Tom

SengaB
2007-07-07, 01:15 AM
Matt,
I am one of the few people who do not like the 787. I find it to be the end of aviation as we know it. To me its formless, lacking style and grace of any airplane before it and looks sterile and stagnant. It doesn't help that it has MANY features that I do not like on airplanes.

I do like the exterior nose/cockpit section and the maingear, tires.

Senga

N790SW
2007-07-07, 01:35 AM
I wonder if it will keep the Marine One c/s or will that be new too? hmm?

What happens to the Current Marine One helicopter?

cancidas
2007-07-07, 01:40 AM

AMARC.

and senga, i agree with you that helos are definately getting to be more shapely and stylish, but i disagree about the 787. the only drawback i see is the standard rudder configuration. that curved one would have looked cool!

SengaB
2007-07-07, 01:58 AM
Awwwwww man :) Matt C.,
I am Glad they didn't use that shark fin tail! (if thats what you are refering to) I proably should hold off any more critisizim until I get to see it fully painted in airline colors. I wonder what the 787 will sound like.

Yea those helos are just getting better and better all around. Whats your take on the copter Tom?, Master of Copter..

Senga

N790SW
2007-07-07, 02:29 PM

AMARC.

and senga, i agree with you that helos are definately getting to be more shapely and stylish, but i disagree about the 787. the only drawback i see is the standard rudder configuration. that curved one would have looked cool!

Whats the AMARC?

Chris102
2007-07-07, 02:35 PM
Whats the AMARC?

It's the military "graveyard" for out of service aircraft:

http://www.amarcexperience.com

HMX-1 has about 11 VH-3D's, and 8 VH-60N's. Maybe they will find another use, since they're in good shape.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-07-07, 03:42 PM
I suspect Marine One might end up in a museum eventually. We'll need someplace to go in the future to see American-made products!

Chris102
2007-07-07, 08:01 PM
I suspect Marine One might end up in a museum eventually. We'll need someplace to go in the future to see American-made products!

Reagan and Nixon Libraries in California each have an old VH-3A.

I'd personally like to see the VH-60N on display.

I think that since there's so many of them, they'll end up in museums someday.

Gerard
2007-07-07, 08:39 PM
=>X-1 has about 11 VH-3D's, and 8 VH-60N's. Maybe they will find another use, since they're in good shape.[/quote]<

The VH-60s should still remain in service since they are used for overseas presidential visits. Much easier to fold and store on the transport planes than the larger VH3s.

Chris102
2007-07-08, 12:28 AM
The VH-60s should still remain in service since they are used for overseas presidential visits. Much easier to fold and store on the transport planes than the larger VH3s.

Actually, when the President travels abroad, they usually take both VH-60N's and -3D's.

Like you said, it's easier to pack the -60's. With the Whitehawk, folding the tail and blades gets it ready to fly in a C-17, but with the 3D, they have to remove the tail and engine, and then later re-install them.

The VH-60N's are fairly new, too. They were put into service around 1990, when the new VC-25A's were put into service.

I personally don't think the VH-71 will be used to transport the President until they have more than one painted in the USMC colors and ready to go.