PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks From Above

Gerard
2007-07-05, 10:45 AM
Went to watch the 4th of July Fireworks last night from LIC (Queens) and LGAs 22 arrivals were coming right over the top of Manhattan as the ceiling was pretty high despite the inclement weather. Must be pretty cool to see this display from above. Only one helicopter working (though I did hear PD a few times before and after) and this must have been Chopper 4 covering the event for NBC. I arrived around 8:40 and left right after the last shell exploded and this ship remained on station in a hover just south of the QBB never moving even when a heavy shower came by around 9PM. I figured nothing worse was coming in or they would have left the area. Too bad about the weather because I've been there many times when the skies were clear and numerous helicopters would be flying around watching the fireworks from different angles, some taking up station on the Queens side to watch.
Oh and the fireworks were SPECTACULAR. Because of the low clouds the explosions seemed LOUDER than usual. I mean really loud that you can feel the power of them hitting your body and reverberating around the
sky!! Very cool indeed.

Art at ISP
2007-07-05, 12:42 PM
I saw the fireworks from a rooftop in the West Village--a family tradition for about 13 years.

I have seen fireworks from the air before--from my Cherokee, on the visual approach to 19 at FRG--July 4th, 1980--the show was at Adventureland, and one of the fireworks zoomed up right off my right wing on approach--good thing I wasn't right of course ;)

It's amazing the first time we took my daughter she was 4--now she is 17 and brings a friend and goes walking around the village with the friend on their own.......

I think I liked her better as a toddler ;)

PS for all those western Suffolk residents, she got her license. How she passed her road test I still haven't figured out.

Be warned.

AirtrafficController
2007-07-05, 02:11 PM
I watched it from the Brooklyn Bridge. Best seats in the house

adam613
2007-07-05, 02:19 PM
I watched it from the Brooklyn Bridge. Best seats in the house

Yeah, we went to the Promenade. Pretty sweet, even with the rain. Much better than from FDR Drive, which is where I went last year...

hiss srq
2007-07-05, 02:33 PM
The shows I had lined up to watch from my house 4 in total 3 cancelled due to the rough seas and the barges inability to get out there safely so I stayed in and watched Meet the Fokkers for the first time. I took my ex gf flying on the 4 th once back in 2005 in a 172 good old N393SP We did the downtown Sarasota Fireworks on the Bay show and than headded south along the coast at 2,500 feet to catch the local ammature displays along the Venice Beach area and than turned around and came back to SRQ doing slow flight just inside the intercoastal so as to watch what was left. Her mom rode along too that night.

AAGold
2007-07-05, 04:34 PM
Given the rain and all we elected to pass on going to see the fireworks last night. Taped them and will look a bit later just to see what they were like.

I've seen fireworks from above while in commercial airliners either landing or taking off. Even though I was pretty close to them they really aren't at all impressive from above. Can't beat what they look like from the ground.

http://www.photovation.net/Uploads/Fireworks.jpg

Art

Gerard
2007-07-05, 05:57 PM
>I think I liked her better as a toddler ;)<

OMG so true. I have a 19, 17 and almost 13. Oy vey!!