PDA

View Full Version : North Woodmere Park vs. The Mounds

adam613
2007-07-03, 04:46 PM
I'm curious about the differences between North Woodmere Park and The Mounds for 22L spotting. From where I live, both locations are pretty much equally (in)convenient to reach by public transit, but it's a real pain to get from one to the other, so once I pick a location, I'd like to stay there for as long as possible.

What are the differences between the two locations? From what I gather, North Woodmere Park is better in the morning, and The Mounds are better in the afternoon, due to the position of the sun; at approximately what time does this changeover happen?

(Afternoon arrival pushes are better at The Mounds, right?)

lijk604
2007-07-03, 05:25 PM
Light gets harsh at North Woodmere around 3pm this time of year.
From what I hear, The Mounds are good from 5pm on, with great light about 90 mins before sundown.

T-Bird76
2007-07-03, 05:45 PM
Northwoodmere is a morning spot for 22 arrivals the mounds are late afternoon to evening.

adam613
2007-07-03, 06:11 PM
What about mid-afternoon, when it looks like most of the interesting traffic arrives? :)

AirtrafficController
2007-07-03, 07:21 PM
The Mounds are good for mid-afternoon but beware! the insects show no mercy in the the mounds so i recommend staying on the soccer field

NIKV69
2007-07-03, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately you can only shoot at the mounds this time of year. Very late, mid afternoon the sun is way to high. 5:30 till dark is ideal. I don't care for N woodmere park, aircraft too far away. Rockaway Blvd is much better. Though you can't gather there in a group.

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-05, 06:40 AM
I saw the mounds a couple of weeks ago,a dn the hills themselves looked as thoguh the shrubs had taken them over. Can one even stand on top of them anymore?

AirtrafficController
2007-07-05, 08:17 AM
I saw the mounds a couple of weeks ago,a dn the hills themselves looked as thoguh the shrubs had taken them over. Can one even stand on top of them anymore?

If you don't mind getting bit so many times by bugs then you could :D

Tom_Turner
2007-07-05, 10:58 AM
Honestly, *some* summers Bayswater is a thousand times worse than the mounds in terms of being bitten by Deer Flies and the like.... What is there at the Mounds besides the tick problem these days?

There were about 9 of us up there on the Mounds a couple of weeks ago...

Tom

Tom_Turner
2007-07-05, 11:01 AM
Have any of you tried showing your photographer bill of rights to the insects?

Don't fear them.

They're just doign their job.

Be professional, and don't make any sudden movements - Remember, you have a right to be in a public park.

Tom

nwafan20
2007-07-05, 02:18 PM
Would weed killer take care of the problem? You could just spray a little area for future use.

NIKV69
2007-07-05, 09:40 PM
Would weed killer take care of the problem? You could just spray a little area for future use.

You would need a chainsaw (Like Art said). It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Spray yourself with some good bug spray, wear long pants and check yourself before you leave. You can shoot there as easily as any other time.

Tom_Turner
2007-07-05, 10:18 PM

You would need a chainsaw (Like Art said). It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Spray yourself with some good bug spray, wear long pants and check yourself before you leave. You can shoot there as easily as any other time.

LOL.. Nick is 100% right!!!!!!

This is a total non issue (apart from checking for ticks). And the ticks cannot get on you unless you brush against the (common) weeds. They aren't in the grass or the dirt, or flying in the air or jumping on you from trees.

This is not the Amazon River basin or the Serengeti. There are no army ants, killer bess; I have never been bitten by a misquito there. No mountain lions or bears or poison oak or poison sumac. No water moccasins or rattle snakes or copper heads. No quicksand. There might be some poison ivy - I can't remember off hand. There are not even sticker bushes or burrs.

You might see a rat or musk rat or possum or racoon or a dog or a cat. Maybe a pheasant, or seagul or red wing blackbird, ilanthus trees, a lady bug... maybe a snapping turtle or hawk. Its called nature. Enjoy it.

Not every place can have the illustrious atmosphere of the Burger King or Costo parking lots or the rotting fish of Bayswater or that Riveria of Jamaica Bay known as Howard Beach .... :)

Tom

NIKV69
2007-07-05, 10:28 PM
Not every place can have the illustrious atmosphere of the Burger King

Illustrious atmosphere? Phil and I saw two heffers smoking blunts! http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/hyper.gif

SoPictureThis
2007-07-05, 11:32 PM
HAH! Yep...you sure do get all walks of life at location. I think the bugs at the mounds have better customer service skills than the employees of the Burger King...

I cant even count how many times myself, Tommy, spellman, whoever have been to the "B.K. Lounge" and been informed by Latisha that they've run out of soda while the manager shows the latest member of the team how to work the ice machine. :roll:

Every spot seems to have some (minor) issue, but you can't let that get to you. The mounds is a fantastic spot, and that's all that matters!

- jMay

Iberia A340-600
2007-07-05, 11:43 PM
I was at the mounds a couple of weeks ago and while the majority has been taken over by weeds there are a couple of open spots in which my father and I set up lawn chairs and had a straight on view of the aircraft. However I did get bit 12943294823 times by these little bugs and did find a tick on my leg when I got home. When going to the mounds it's pretty important to wear jeans or long pants. I should have learned as a week earlier I was up on a hill at SWF which has also been completely taken over by shrub and found numerous ticks on my legs.

NIKV69
2007-07-06, 09:09 AM
Every spot seems to have some (minor) issue, but you can't let that get to you. The mounds is a fantastic spot, and that's all that matters!

Finally someone making some sense! http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/wiggle.gif

T-Bird76
2007-07-06, 01:11 PM

I think this winter during a good cold spell when all the bugs are dead those tree's might come to an unfortunate demise.... :twisted: