PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's views on WN

hiss srq
2007-07-02, 09:00 PM
Mod note:
edited: Hiss, I am assuming this is all a quote from Boyd? Next time, please show this in the way I have so there's no confusion what are your words and someone elses.

"WN has to make changes necessary for its future and those changes necessary are just not always going to be what may have helped WN get to the point it is today; I think Gary Kelly is just the right person who understands this and for WN’s sake, I’m glad he’s at the helm right now because this is undoubtedly going to turn out to be a significant point in WN’s history.

I think assigned seating is all but paramount and I would even venture to include IFE is as just as important, because while WiFi is a good place to start I think by ten years from now all new pax airliners will have them standard and carriers like VX will make WN's service look downright shabby – WN already admits that when it will be competing in markets alongside VX they will have to do more than just offer comparable pricing to be competitive. I personally despise the current cattle call boarding philosophy as I am one who does not enjoy sitting in traffic on the road home from work and so the last thing I want to do when I travel by air is wait in a long line when I'm boarding just so I don't have to sit in the middle seat!

I think WN has to go into MSP as its next destination - the market is very large as is and all indications point to it growing exponentially in the future as well evident by the MAC’s new runway at MSP that they recently opened 18 months ago. I think now is opportune for WN to enter the MSP area as the consumers have very little love for NW - it would be the epitome of the WN effect when they enter that market.

In regards to another aircraft type or size, I disagree that WN needs a slightly smaller sized aircraft to go into all the small markets, though. Typically those markets are just not terribly lucrative but than again, that's XE's mission statement right now. If anything, WN should simply form a subsidiary company like AMR and American Eagle, and operate and manage that company as a partner yet separate entity if anything.

Conversely, I believe that WN needs to go the opposite direction with regards to another size/type aircraft, rather I would recommend a 737-800 type/sized aircraft to supplement WN's fleet. For example, WN has like 30 flights a day in DAL-HOU where as they could operate the same numbers of people on 20 flights of a 738, still accomplish the frequency necessary for their business model in that important market, and save a lot of money operating an otherwise very similar aircraft to their 73G/W's. In that regard I say they WN should buy SY and put their 10 738's into immediate service while also utilizing all of SY's gates at the Humphrey terminal at MSP.

With aircraft like 739ER's, that would be an opportunity for WN to consider select international routes on it's own metal, but then again if they really wanted to go international on their own metal they may be better off starting their own separate subsidiary airline comprised of just 787's and use them to begin the inevitable US LCC long-haul industry. WN could place an order for say 20 787's and use them to launch an entirely separate company with WN still the parent; it is oft rumored that FR is already trying to do this with EI across the pond to the US should he eventually be able to acquire the company, and Gary Kelly has already specifically spoken about the benefit of having an international long haul product to help one's revenues when the domestic numbers aren't doing as well, evident by numerous US legacy carriers success overseas right now.

As for taking on F9 at DEN, if I were F9 I'd be looking for a merger with B6 as I think that would be a great combination and perhaps the only way either carrier is still in the air ten years from now. Once that happened, if I were FL I'd be open to a DL merger as well."

nwafan20
2007-07-02, 09:33 PM
Interesting, but after WN faced NW at DTW, they said they would no longer invade a NW market again. I suppose that can change though.

N790SW
2007-07-02, 09:40 PM
I agree with most of the points Mr. Boyd has said in his views, and I personally would love to see WN go int on its own metal, however the name should stay Southwest even on a 787 if they ever got one.

As far as the 737-800- 900 sized aircraft, well as I am aware of- our 73NGs can carry about 137 passengers, it would make somewhat sense if they went to Boeing and asked for a slightly longer 737-700 - I heard Airbus does it for B6, and I am sure maybe even Boeing would do it for Southwest Airlines.

The last thing I want to comment on about this article is WN going to MSP, I personally agree with this however, I'd like to see LGA first, and am I right, or was there some sort of rumor of WN getting DL's slots there?

Nice views Mr. Boyd!

Any takers on here as to WN's first Int destination may be? those should be interesting, and I did however hear a WN pilot say SJU maybe the first but who knows?

hiss srq
2007-07-02, 09:44 PM
The LGA rumor is an absolute no. We are talking about Slots, the magic word WN avoids like the plauge. Not only that the LGA market would not be good for WN. For examples FL and B6 do not do well here even.

Alex T
2007-07-04, 12:19 PM
The LGA rumor is an absolute no. We are talking about Slots, the magic word WN avoids like the plauge. Not only that the LGA market would not be good for WN. For examples FL and B6 do not do well here even.

Far from the truth, WN has slots at SNA. However, have not heard anything about DL slots at LGA.

Wn would love to get into LGA. They don't want EWR due to CO, and JFK is just a massive delay, I do realize all 3 NYC have delays but it seems WN is eyeing LGA.

Slots is not a scary word for WN, after all they have them at SNA.

I agree with Boyd on some points...but we shall see....

I truly think no one has the right to comment except WN themselves, these folks didn't get WN to where they are now, what makes them think they have a right in what WN says for the next few years?

Bobby, the slightly longer 737-700 is basically the -800.

Alex

T-Bird76
2007-07-04, 12:46 PM
I truly think no one has the right to comment except WN themselves, these folks didn't get WN to where they are now, what makes them think they have a right in what WN says for the next few years?

Alex pull your head out of the ground....First of all WN is a public company and they will respond to a share price that has sunk of the last year. Alex while you think WN is all nice and fuzzy they're number one priority is to the shareholders of the company and they'll do what it takes to keep the shareholders happy. If WN shuts the door to new trends in air travel companies like VX will eat away at their market share. WN has already changed the way it does business by moving into larger markets like PHL, DEN, IAD, LAX, and back to SFO. What Boyd is saying isn't anything new, he's said it before as well as others

Alex T
2007-07-04, 03:06 PM
My Head isn't in the ground.

I am saying, people i general, Mike Boyd, I have never liked his posts, I don't mean to say he is wrong, but a few times he has been wrong or predicted doom and gloom everytime one little bad thing happens, it isn't everytime but I haven't liked his views.

I know WN isn't nice and fuzzy, the number one prority after safety is money and will do whatever it takes to earn money. I understand that, have always known that since I became interested in WN and see it more often now I actually work for them.

I just don't feel most folks have a right o make a business plan as a statement for WN, they can make opinions which is totally fine, heck I do it too.

There are changs for WN, some I like, some I do not like. I have to accept them either way, as the meaning of the change is to make money.

Alex

lijk604
2007-07-05, 08:09 AM
My Head isn't in the ground.

Alex

Wn would love to get into LGA. They don't want EWR due to CO, and JFK is just a massive delay, I do realize all 3 NYC have delays but it seems WN is eyeing LGA.

Have you ever seen LGA after a summer rainstorm? Delays to 3 hours are the norm. WN could not sustain a hit like this and keep it's schedule intact.

For those at LGA (Ron, Ryan, Matt) I'm sure you will agree that all it takes is a bird overhead taking a piss and the LGA ground delays start.

Alex T
2007-07-05, 12:04 PM
[quote=Alex T]My Head isn't in the ground.

Alex

Have you ever seen LGA after a summer rainstorm? Delays to 3 hours are the norm. WN could not sustain a hit like this and keep it's schedule intact.

For those at LGA (Ron, Ryan, Matt) I'm sure you will agree that all it takes is a bird overhead taking a piss and the LGA ground delays start.[/quote:c629a]

That is kind of like how WN is at PHL.

Alex

hiss srq
2007-07-05, 01:25 PM
[quote=Alex T]My Head isn't in the ground.

Alex

For those at LGA (Ron, Ryan, Matt) I'm sure you will agree that all it takes is a bird overhead taking a piss and the LGA ground delays start.[/quote:dfd16]

I agree, I flished the toilet standing tot he left of the toilet as opposed to centered and they delayed departures eastbound. (sarcastic)

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-07-05, 06:17 PM
I think that LGA is more of a delay nightmare than JFK because LGA doesn't have the extra two runways.