PDA

View Full Version : And How Much Post-Editing Do You Do?

shamrock838
2007-07-02, 04:43 PM
Greetings,

No matter which of the (3) metering modes I use on my Canon EOS D60 … my images almost always need post-production … almost always to lighten underexposed images. And my exposure compensation factor is always set at +1.0!

I’m asking this for a collective response … cropping aside … what % of your digital images require exposure post-production? I‘ve noticed that a number of uploaded images to these forums are a tad underexposed.

So maybe I’m not the only one with this problem? Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

nwafan20
2007-07-02, 05:19 PM
Very rarely will a photo come out perfectly. 999/1000 photos will need post processing, that isn't much of an issue.

So I would say, photos that I am going to share that I want to look good? 100%

MarkLawrence
2007-07-02, 06:18 PM
I'm with Matt on that - if I want a good picture to share - 100% of them will need post-production...

Mellyrose
2007-07-02, 06:59 PM
All digital photos need post processing (in my opinion). I equate it to a digital darkroom. Even if it's just for a light USM and crop, it needs SOMETHING. Most high-end digital cameras take a photo that will need a bit of sharpening, and some color balance as well (i.e., Canon usually has green casts)

Usually, if the conditions are right, the processing will be much ligher, and if conditions are bad, they will be tough and sometimes you realized the photo isn't workable at all. You should figure out the steps you take in Photoshop (or whatever software you use) and always use the same actions. You can save a default action set if you prefer, and if a certain photo doesn't need as much or any of a certain step, you can just skip over it.