PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Airlines Status ?

N790SW
2007-06-30, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys:

After reading all this stuff on a-net about the LCC's feeling the pain from the industry, i noticed and heard that Southwest is one of them , with them cutting back flights and so forth. What id like to know is what is the current Southwest status as of now - are they doing good - could be better ? I am asking this because w.o WN what would me and Alex's favorite airline be? =P

hiss srq
2007-06-30, 09:18 PM
USAirways?

USAF Pilot 07
2007-06-30, 09:51 PM
Well their stock is down, but as far as airlines go, they seem to be doing well, especially for an LCC...

Alex T
2007-07-01, 01:21 PM
USAirways?
pffft...

My Favorite Airline will always be TWA no question about it.

Bobby--You know what I have already told you. Southwest in no way is doing "bad". They are feeling the pinch of the high cost from the fuel and low loads.

I would not be worried about them yet, i say this because Southwest is seeing NOW that it may get worse so they are shaping up their plan now before they get "to over in their head" like other airlines have done.

Don't worry about it just yet, there will be exciting changes coming soon for SWA, keep an eye out for it.

Alex

727C47
2007-07-02, 12:03 AM
[quote="hiss srq":5f7f7]USAirways?
pffft...

My Favorite Airline will always be TWA no question about it.

Bobby--You know what I have already told you. Southwest in no way is doing "bad". They are feeling the pinch of the high cost from the fuel and low loads.

I would not be worried about them yet, i say this because Southwest is seeing NOW that it may get worse so they are shaping up their plan now before they get "to over in their head" like other airlines have done.

Don't worry about it just yet, there will be exciting changes coming soon for SWA, keep an eye out for it.

Alex[/quote:5f7f7]

AMEN !

hiss srq
2007-07-02, 12:05 AM
Ah, now you opend yourself up to this one but you mentioned low loads. USAirways flights are FULL. Just my $.02

nwafan20
2007-07-02, 12:09 AM
Ah, now you opend yourself up to this one but you mentioned low loads. USAirways flights are FULL. Just my $.02

You opened yourself up to this one, not as full as Northwest ;)

:D

PHL Approach
2007-07-02, 12:15 AM

That is until they have to cancel a few flights because the Captain is in a coke rage.

nwafan20
2007-07-02, 12:19 AM
[quote="hiss srq":8673c]Ah, now you opend yourself up to this one but you mentioned low loads. USAirways flights are FULL. Just my $.02

That is until they have to cancel a few flights because the Captain is in a coke rage.[/quote:8673c]

Haha, Ok, fair enough.

But to get back on target:

WN is in no real danger right now, they are still making money, albeit less than before, but they should be fine. A few changes here and there and WN will be back to full power.

T-Bird76
2007-07-02, 02:53 AM
Wow this thread went off the subject quickly... WN is doing very well, they are making money. Cuts are a response to a softening travel market and economy, something B6 should have done years ago. WN moves quickly when it comes to change, something most companies have trouble with.

hiss srq
2007-07-02, 03:14 AM
I agree with the B6 part. Their plan was expansion oriented and semi fatal from the get go though in my opinion. The plan they had would put them where they are now automaticly no matter what if you ask me. It is too centralized and the system is not balanced.

Alex T
2007-07-02, 10:02 AM

Fact, Southwest has ALWAYS, always had the lowest loads in the industry, mainly due to the fact we usually put more planes then neccesary in a route, due to we want to be known as the airline with frequency to that city. As we are a business airline we want to cater to the business traveler, by offering frequency.

However, we were expecting that there would be a high booking, unfortunatly as Tommy pointed out, the industry as a whole is experiencing low loads, so WN is now going to cut back a bit.

Basically matching up to the demand now.

Alex

T-Bird76
2007-07-02, 11:58 AM
Loads don't mean making money, most HNL and LAS flight are packed on any airline but they are loss leaders. Its all about yeild, an ERJ flight from Bum**** Iowa could make thousands where a fully loaded 767 to HNL could lose money.

Alex T
2007-07-02, 12:06 PM
Loads don't mean making money, most HNL and LAS flight are packed on any airline but they are loss leaders. Its all about yeild, an ERJ flight from Bum**** Iowa could make thousands where a fully loaded 767 to HNL could lose money.

Exactly , as WN was proof of that, the airline that usually had low loads, but pretty much made a lot of money or a profitable amount.

Did tom and I just agree here? :shock:

N790SW
2007-07-02, 09:46 PM
Did tom and I just agree here?

I think so !!! 8)

Wow this thread went off the subject quickly :

Welcome to how most of my threads turn out on this site! :roll:

As Alex said though there are going to be new changes to WN , - just look at what Boyd said about them in the other post, and he even says they should look into a 738 type plane, but my response to that is of course in that thread. ;) [/i]