PDA

View Full Version : JFK Tower And Helicopters/General Aviation

Gerard
2007-06-30, 08:15 AM
Does JFK Tower still utilize 125.25 for Class B operations? It seems to me any helicopters leaving FRG airspace heading Westbound and using the "Track Routing" always contact on 119.1 and yesterday a traffic watch fixed wing talked to them on 119.1 and whenever Nassau Air Bureau works in the Elmont, Valley Stream,SW Nassau area they always talk on that freq.
I remember when I still lived in Forest Hills (Queens) and they would sometimes ask copters to switch to 125.25 for instructions but I rarely hear that anymore.

PHL Approach
2007-06-30, 10:44 AM
One explanation and thats it - Staffing.. as we start moving on where retirements really start getting overwhelming, not as if they aren't already. You'll start seeing positions that you use to hear open always closed.

For instance at P50 (Phoenix TRACON) there are 3 satellite sectors - Biltmore (covers north area by SDL and DVT) Pima which (covers CHD/ Southeast) and Willy that (covers IWA and a section east/southeast). Those sectors were very heavy and saturated (still are) that all three were always open all day though due to staffing within the past few months they are pretty much closed most of the time. Now, most likely you'll only hear one open and even then it's usually combined with a heavier sector such as one of the Departure sectors like Navajo or Santan or an Arrival sector such as Apache or Quartz.

ISP Pilot
2007-06-30, 09:59 PM
During the past 5 years, I've flown along the shoreline by JFK about 10 times. Whenever I'd call jfktower on 125.25, I would be asked to switch to 119.1. A few of those times included the afternoon and evening rush when the 125.25 freq would help alleviate congestion on the 119.1 freq.

Gerard
2007-07-03, 01:25 PM
About 10 minutes ago helicopter NY 8 was over Garden City and contacted JFK on 119.1. They were told to switch to 123.9
Go figure!! LOL!!