PDA

View Full Version : JFK???

nwafan20
2007-06-29, 02:35 PM
So, a group of kids from my church that were on a mission trip are now stuck in JFK... Reason for delay? Air Traffic constraints. Is anything going on there?

Departs: New York-John F. Kennedy Int'l, NY ( JFK ) Arrives: Detroit-Wayne County Int'l, MI (DTW)
Scheduled: 4:16PM Scheduled: 6:25PM
Actual: Cancelled Actual: Cancelled
Note: Cancelled due to air traffic constraints.

NW896 for anyone who is wondering

HPNPilot1200
2007-06-29, 02:46 PM
So, a group of kids from my church that were on a mission trip are now stuck in JFK... Reason for delay? Air Traffic constraints. Is anything going on there?

Yes, it's called a major ATC staffing crisis. In terms of something specific, nothing according to the ATCSCC. Welcome to the Failed Aviation Administration.

ISP Pilot
2007-06-29, 02:47 PM
The FAA airspace system status website is showing 0 delays for JFK. My gf's AA flight to LAX left on time today. NW has cancelled 200+ flights today and hundreds others this week. Some are due to ATC but the problem at NW is not having enough pilots to fly the planes or pilots timing out. NW needs to accept responsibility and do something fast. It's easier for NW to blame ATC that way they don't have to compen$ate the pax.

MarkLawrence
2007-06-29, 02:49 PM
Nothing on the FAA site - and - I was wondering the same thing about the NW pilots - after seeing an item on our local TV station in Palm Beach last night - NW seems to be having a tough time with schedules at the moment....

nwafan20
2007-06-29, 02:55 PM
Yeah, NW and Mesa are in Pilot crisis stage, both have a huge shortage. In fact, last week an A333 did DTW-LAX, normally operated by a 757. It was swapped due to crew.

That's what I was trying to figure out, was it ATC or NW pilots.

T-Bird76
2007-06-29, 03:23 PM
The FAA airspace system status website is showing 0 delays for JFK. My gf's AA flight to LAX left on time today. NW has cancelled 200+ flights today and hundreds others this week. Some are due to ATC but the problem at NW is not having enough pilots to fly the planes or pilots timing out. NW needs to accept responsibility and do something fast. It's easier for NW to blame ATC that way they don't have to compen$ate the pax.

What flight was she on? i was on flight 33 this morning.

njgtr82
2007-06-29, 04:15 PM
Blaming this one on ATC is total B.S. The airlines don't want to be responsible for their own mess so they pass the blame oh so quickly. The general public doesn't know better so they believe it. Very minimal ATC delays in the NYC area today. That line about staffing crisis is also bs, there is an issue with it but nothing that would cause delays.

HPNPilot1200
2007-06-29, 04:22 PM
That line about staffing crisis is also bs, there is an issue with it but nothing that would cause delays.

That's a pretty bold statement to make. The staffing crisis causes delays each and every day and my aircraft rental bills can back that one up (and I wish that wasn't the case). The delays may not be as significant as a ground delay program or an AFP, but there certainly are delays.

However, I take back my earlier post and agree with you it would be stupid to blame this one on ATC, the airlines have a major tendency to blame all of their delays on ATC. (I had just written a post on another forum about the staffing crisis so I guess my mind went to that). Wish the general public was better informed about the airline excuses so they could easily recognize the lies, but it's going to be a while I think.

Safe flying,

USAF Pilot 07
2007-06-29, 07:30 PM
Well I did hear on 1010 Wins a while ago that LGA was operating with 45 minutes delays (which isn't too common during the summer)... I'm sure that had nothing to do with JFK or with the flights into or out of JFK.

AND, since it appears the flight was cancelled, it appears that it lies moreso with NW than with ATC... Most airlines aren't going to cancel a flight because of ATC issues, unless absolutely necessary. Every other airline seems to be operating normal schedule, so something is definately fishy there...

hiss srq
2007-06-29, 07:47 PM
USAF actually airlines precancel through ATC desk agreements alot. Airlines WILL cancel for ATC if it is forseen that that ATC issue is something that might create a situation for crew time. and LGA is running with 45 m inute delays on westbounds all north and southbounds are flowing as normal. Westbounds are currently holding on Bravo untill release time from Kilo intersection east.

ISP Pilot
2007-06-29, 08:13 PM
What flight was she on? i was on flight 33 this morning.
AA 117 working up front in First.

stuart schechter
2007-06-30, 12:08 AM
Apparantley they have started to take responsibility for it.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/19468103

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19466988/

adam613
2007-06-30, 10:43 AM
USAF actually airlines precancel through ATC desk agreements alot. Airlines WILL cancel for ATC if it is forseen that that ATC issue is something that might create a situation for crew time. and LGA is running with 45 m inute delays on westbounds all north and southbounds are flowing as normal. Westbounds are currently holding on Bravo untill release time from Kilo intersection east.

I know they do this when there expected to be serious delays due to weather...I remember a couple of years ago when we had that ridiculous snowstorm, JetBlue canceled about half of their flights to JFK to avoid making the ATC situation any worse than it was, and ZNY gave them some sort of brownie points for priority slots when the storm passed.

(And the press skewered JetBlue for unnecessarily canceling so many flights)