PDA

View Full Version : NIMBYs Freaking Out Over New EWR Arrival Path

Matt Molnar
2007-06-29, 08:39 AM
New flight path could bring 200 to 400 more planes over Rockland daily (http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/NEWS03/706290383/1029/NEWS13)

By KHURRAM SAEED
THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: June 29, 2007)

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. - The Federal Aviation Administration wants to create a new flight path that would mean 200 to 400 planes passing over Rockland each day by 2011.

The flights would be headed to Newark Liberty International Airport, entering Rockland about 5,000 feet — less than a mile — above Harriman State Park and curving through the heart of the county, including Monsey, Chestnut Ridge and Pearl River.

More than 1,000 people, mostly New Jersey residents, attended the raucous meeting. Some accused the FAA of not telling residents about the plan and putting them at risk. The meeting became so tense that police were called in.

Posters hung around the room read "Their Arrival vs Our Survival" and "Is Today's Truth Tomorrow's Error?" More... (http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/NEWS03/706290383/1029/NEWS13)
:roll:

hiss srq
2007-06-29, 10:33 AM
These people need to run as fast as they can at a spike.

NcSchu
2007-06-29, 10:49 AM
I love how they advertise 5000 feet as less than a mile when in reality it's only 200 feet less than a mile, and 200 feet wouldn't make much of a difference.

adam613
2007-06-29, 11:26 AM
Would they prefer having to drive an hour and a half to JFK or SWF when they want to fly somewhere??

Matt Molnar
2007-06-29, 12:12 PM
A modern aircraft ascending through 5,000 feet is very quiet. A modern aircraft descending through 5,000 feet with its engines nearly idle is practically inaudible.

Also, I've lived beneath LGA and JFK arrival and departure traffic much lower than 5,000 feet my entire life, and not once have I been sprayed by a fuel dump.

stuart schechter
2007-06-29, 11:58 PM
fears about fuel dumping during emergencies.

Did anyone ever think that the planes go out into the ocean. F%cking stupid people.

skipper
2007-06-30, 08:43 AM
I love when people buy houses close to an airport because they are 1/2 the price of houses further away and have lower property taxes and then lobby against the airlines. Orange County (CA) is a prime example with noise abatement procedures and curfews.

The noise level of an approaching aircraft on final are minimal. Engines are cut back to between 20-60% power on decent and modern engines are very quiet to begin with. The days of the 737 100/200 and 727 have passed.

Laxgoaly
2007-06-30, 10:32 AM
I live in Emerson which is part of the proposed flight path, people have been going door-to-door with fliers making a big stink over it all, I mean its not like these are 707's and DC-8's ( little engine of course) flying over, these a/c's are really pretty quiet and I don't get what all th fuss is about, my dad said the only thing that he was concerned about is that it has the potential to make property value decrease... thats just my 2 cents

adam613
2007-06-30, 10:36 AM
I love when people buy houses close to an airport because they are 1/2 the price of houses further away and have lower property taxes and then lobby against the airlines. Orange County (CA) is a prime example with noise abatement procedures and curfews.

This is happening to DEN again. When Stapleton was built, it was out in the middle of nowhere. But then people started moving near the airport, complaining about the noise, and eventually forcing the airport to move. Now they have Denver International, which is out in the middle of nowhere, but people are starting to move near the airport. Wash, rinse, repeat.

(Note: This isn't at all what's happening at EWR. The people in Rockland County who are complaining live at least 35 miles from the airport, as the crow flies, and probably further as the MD-80 flies.)

727C47
2007-06-30, 10:38 AM

The noise level of an approaching aircraft on final are minimal. Engines are cut back to between 20-60% power on decent and modern engines are very quiet to begin with. The days of the 737 100/200 and 727 have passed.

Not at Champion Air baby !!!!!

skipper
2007-06-30, 12:53 PM
Not at Champion Air baby !!!!![/quote]

:lol:

cancidas
2007-06-30, 01:42 PM

this happens even here at home with our airports. i went to a town hall meeting at FRG a few years back, everyone one bitching and moaning. the airport manager stood up, said to them all that the airport was built in 19XX (don't rememebr the year right now) and he doubted that anyone had owned thier houses that long. he literally walked away from the podium and that was the end of the meeting.

NcSchu
2007-07-02, 08:23 AM

The town that's cited in the article is really not close to EWR at all so I doubt their house prices were affected by it. The problem for them is that they are almost directly under a straight approach for runways 22L and 22R. But I think New Jerseyeans should be glad they have such a resource as EWR. Not only does it bring tax revenue but it has a ton of domestic and international flights.

Tom_Turner
2007-07-02, 09:44 AM
The town that's cited in the article is really not close to EWR at all so I doubt their house prices were affected by it. The problem for them is that they are almost directly under a straight approach for runways 22L and 22R. But I think New Jerseyeans should be glad they have such a resource as EWR. Not only does it bring tax revenue but it has a ton of domestic and international flights.

Yes, that is the situation, and the people in a couple of these towns would quite frankly prefer the aircraft to do whatever is neccesary to fly over someone else's house not under a straight approach. The airport is IN New Jersey; let let the planes fly over New Jersey.

Tom