PDA

View Full Version : Car-bomb found in the UK

Midnight Mike
2007-06-29, 06:58 AM
U.K. police defuse explosive device
Bomb discovered in car could have caused 'significant damage,' official says
June 29, 2007
LONDON - British police defused a bomb found in a parked car in central London on Friday, and the new government called an emergency meeting of senior security chiefs to investigate what many feared could have been a planned terror attack in the capital.

The vehicle packed with explosives, gas canisters and nuts and bolts would have caused "significant damage," a British security official told The Associated Press Friday.

"Forensic staff are still examining the device, but once we know more about it, we'll know more about what type of individuals are behind this," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive security details.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who took office on Wednesday, said the incident was a reminder that Britain faces “a serious and continuous threat” and the “need to be alert.”

“I will stress to the Cabinet that the vigilance must be maintained over the next few days,” Brown said.

The incident comes a week before the second anniversary of the July 7 London bombings, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed themselves and 52 bus and subway passengers.

For more than a year, the government has held the country’s terrorist threat level at severe — which means a terrorist attack is highly likely.

Mercedes crashed in theater district
Officers were called to The Haymarket shortly before 2 a.m., a police statement said.

Sky News cited witnesses as saying doormen from a nearby nightclub had reported that someone had crashed a Mercedes sedan into garbage bins and ran away.

The Haymarket is the site of restaurants, bars, a cinema complex and, most famously, theaters. On a Thursday night, the area would have been buzzing with crowds of people. The broad street links Piccadilly Circus in the north to the Pall Mall at its southern end.

Forensic officers in white suits examined a silver sedan and had placed a blue tent-like cover over the rear of the vehicle, which was parked outside an American Express foreign exchange office. The car was later moved for further examination.

Sky News broadcast a photograph of the vehicle taken early in the morning, showing a green canister beside the car and the backseat door open with blankets spilling out.

The area around the vehicle was cordoned off as a precaution on Friday morning. London transport officials said the Piccadilly Circus underground train station was closed.

T-Bird76
2007-06-29, 07:04 AM
I'm watching this now at the airport, looks like the real deal here, large amounts of fuel and nails found in the device. Just another reminder of why we are in the Middle East and the kind of sick and twisted minds we are in-broiled with. Not something you want to hear a day you're flying.... :?

Nycfly75
2007-06-29, 08:18 AM
This is what happens when you have an open door policy to immigrants. The E.U. allowed too many people in over the past 20 years from North Africa, Middle East, Asia and even from a Muslim area in the Balkans and this is what the result is. Now that the damage is done and sick incidents like this happen, the governments decide to do something to fix their 20 year error.

nwafan20
2007-06-29, 12:14 PM
I saw this as soon as it broke, it was about 3:00 AM in the morning. Glad they found it before anything happened.

markg
2007-06-29, 12:49 PM
This is what happens when you have an open door policy to immigrants. The E.U. allowed too many people in over the past 20 years from North Africa, Middle East, Asia and even from a Muslim area in the Balkans and this is what the result is. Now that the damage is done and sick incidents like this happen, the governments decide to do something to fix their 20 year error.

In the UK it's not caused by the EU 's open door policy, it's caused by an act of parliament allowing British nationality to anyone from the Indian Sub-Continent, because it used to be part of the commonwealth.

We have lived with the threat if terrorism since the 1960's though, so it doesn't bother us as much as it bothers people in the US.

I never thought much about it when I lived in the UK, it was just a fact of life and always in London. Then a bomb in Warrington (halfway between Manchester and Liverpool in 1993) and the truck bomb in Manchester in 1996 were too close for comfort for me. Walking across the edge of town to connect between buses in Warrington a few hours after the bomb was eerie because of the quietness, and seeing the destruction of Manchester City Center (and my office building) rammed home to me what a bunch of a**holes the IRA were, and I transferred these thoughts to Muslim terrorists.

Matt Molnar
2007-06-29, 04:20 PM
A second car bomb has been found in London. Could there be more?