PDA

View Full Version : Delta Flight 6499, SEVEN HOURS on the tarmac

Midnight Mike
2007-06-28, 03:12 PM
R06dAgpmmbg

T-Bird76
2007-06-28, 03:14 PM
So let me pose this question...how soon until this happens again and someone decides "F it I'm getting off" and opens and exit door? Could you blame them if they did? If I was stuck on an RJ for that long I think I'd force my way off if the airline wouldn't let me get off.

Midnight Mike
2007-06-28, 03:30 PM
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/id/2303789653

Mellyrose
2007-06-28, 03:45 PM
I honestly wish Phil and I were stuck in that kind of situation at JFK with lies being fed to us. He'd probably stand up, tell them what was really going on, and demand to be let off.

Also, can you believe how many times they reiterated the fact that the reason there was a further delay was because of crew labor limits? I honestly don't think that the people on that plane had any sympathy for that story...and I'm sure they didn't want to hear that the reason they weren't going anywhere was so that pilot could go home to sleep!

That's cruel and unusual treatment - the F.O. (or whoever that was) even said it himself. "My company won't allow it..." regarding feeding the poor passengers. Those people were mighty patient in my opinion.

lijk604
2007-06-28, 05:07 PM
So let me pose this question...how soon until this happens again and someone decides "F it I'm getting off" and opens and exit door? Could you blame them if they did? If I was stuck on an RJ for that long I think I'd force my way off if the airline wouldn't let me get off.

You would probably be arrested for interfering with a flight crew and a flight operation. Even though you are sitting on the ground. The report would say that your actions were dangerous to those on board and on the ground, and you created an unnecessary security breach.

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-28, 05:10 PM
Once a plane has left the gate, it'[s usually pressurized and you can't get the door open.

If not, the door is definitely "armed" and a slide will blow.

Either way, you can get arrested for it regardless of the reason.

Crew rest is a very valid reason to bring a plane back to the gate after a delay. FAA regs time out crews, but there are better ways to tell that to the customers.

T-Bird76
2007-06-28, 05:11 PM

You would probably be arrested for interfering with a flight crew and a flight operation. Even though you are sitting on the ground. The report would say that your actions were dangerous to those on board and on the ground, and you created an unnecessary security breach.

I figure that but what judge is going to even fine you? The media attention would be so in your favor the airline would look like the bad guy.

Mellyrose
2007-06-28, 05:11 PM
No matter how valid the reason, the way this was handled was totally unacceptable.

lijk604
2007-06-28, 05:18 PM
I figure that but what judge is going to even fine you? The media attention would be so in your favor the airline would look like the bad guy.

It would probably be settled out of court for sure, but why have that stigma on your record?

Having said that, the worst I have been subjected to was 3 hours waiting in "The Penalty Box" in ORD trying to get to LGA in 2000. I also had a 6 hour delay in MCO with Airtran back in 1997, but that was inside the terminal so at least I was not restricted to my seat.

njgtr82
2007-06-28, 05:24 PM
No matter how wrong the airline is for doing this, opening the door is completely wrong. This would only make things worse. Also this is a federal offense, your not gonna have to deal with some local judge. Your asking for trouble and I don't believe even the all powerful media could help you escape this one.

Midnight Mike
2007-06-28, 06:08 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":3c38c]So let me pose this question...how soon until this happens again and someone decides "F it I'm getting off" and opens and exit door? Could you blame them if they did? If I was stuck on an RJ for that long I think I'd force my way off if the airline wouldn't let me get off.

I figure that but what judge is going to even fine you? The media attention would be so in your favor the airline would look like the bad guy.[/quote:3c38c]

It is a Federal Offense to open those doors, in addition to the fine, there will be jail time.

skipper
2007-06-28, 11:55 PM
Bill and Mike are right. It is a Fed crime and there will be punishment. And it would not be pretty at a NY area airport when the PA police show up.

Plus the airline is not going to just sit by. A deployed slide is not normally re-packed by their maintenance, but instead contracted out to an outside vendor that charges for it, plus it has to be hauled to them, the aircraft is grounded until a new slide can be attached. Not recommended.

T-Bird76
2007-06-29, 04:25 AM
So I guess we all forgot the kid who snuck a box cutter on a plane to show how bad screening was? Federal offense but both the media and members of congress were on his side and he got off. Nothing would happen to this person in today's environment.