PDA

View Full Version : Photographer that took those 787 photos

Midnight Mike
2007-06-28, 10:24 AM
http://flightblogger.blogspot.com/

Flightblogger in the News
Tip pays off for aviation enthusiasts
By Kevin Cotlove - KOMO TV

EVERETT, Wash. -- Photographer and aviation enthusiast Charles Conklin managed to get a few pictures of the first nearly-finished Boeing 787 as it rolled out of an assembly hangar early Tuesday morning.

Conklin said he got a tip that the plane would be rolling out sometime late Monday or early Tuesday, but the informant wasn't sure exactly when it would happen.

He drove to the factory with his camera and telephoto lens so he could get shots from outside the Boeing property. For the first two hours he just sat and waited.

"I wasn't sure whether the tip was going to pay off," he said. "I basically gave myself a cutoff of midnight, and that's when things finally started happening."

The hangar doors opened and the 787 jet was rolled out and into a nearby paint hangar. The whole process took about 40 minutes, Conklin said.

Conklin, who is also a private pilot, said he's always been interested in aviation but didn't realize how popular the first photos of the nearly-complete 787 would be.

"I'm kind of surprised," he said.

The photos have been picked up by several news organizations and many aviation web sites and blogs.