PDA

View Full Version : Uncommon to have WX diversions to NYC airports?

RDU-JFK
2007-06-28, 09:11 AM
Do any of the NYC airports ever see weather diversions from other airports like PHL or BOS if there's a strong system moving through those cities? Is it a common occurrence?

Laxgoaly
2007-06-28, 10:53 AM
SWF in the summer time becomes EWR jr. tons of CO diversions

tipek
2007-06-28, 11:37 AM
I don't know about EWR or JFK getting diversions from BOS or PHL, but I love when JFK and EWR are closed because of the weather.
BWI and IAD gets chunk of the diversions :)

adam613
2007-06-28, 12:24 PM
It doesn't make a lot of sense for weather diversions to come here. The vast majority of the time, when there is severe weather, it hits NYC last. When you divert, you don't want to go somewhere that has yet to be hit; you want to go somewhere that has already cleared up.

Just a theory...

LGA777
2007-06-28, 05:04 PM
A common diversion I have seen at LGA over the years is from HPN and ISP when they are below limits due to fog but LGA has several miles visibility. In the days when US overnighted 3 or 4 Boeing or McDonald Douglas aircraft at ISP it was not uncommon for them to all divert to LGA and the passengers be bussed to ISP.

Regards

LGA777

RDU-JFK
2007-06-28, 05:20 PM
A common diversion I have seen at LGA over the years is from HPN and ISP when they are below limits due to fog but LGA has several miles visibility. In the days when US overnighted 3 or 4 Boeing or McDonald Douglas aircraft at ISP it was not uncommon for them to all divert to LGA and the passengers be bussed to ISP.

Regards

LGA777

Very interesting!

USAF Pilot 07
2007-06-28, 06:26 PM
I would also think that diversions to LGA would be limited because of its size. There's simply not enough room at the airport handle a lot of diverted aircraft. Also, LGA is just about maxed out as it is on departures/arrivals, so diverting aircraft there would most likely cause delays throughout the system.

I would also think that most crews would tend to stay away from LGA/JFK/EWR when planning for diversion situations or while in the air actually making the decision to divert. Most airports seem to have "diversion" specific airports, such as JFK/EWR and LGA using SWF, which are far less crowded and have much more room.
Not to mention that the majority of aircraft are coming from the South or West of the airports on the East Coast, so diversions to places South or West of these fields is generally easier and more favorable since storm systems tend to move West to East, and better to wait out a storm over the field behind it than in front of it....

lijk604
2007-06-28, 06:59 PM
Another fun night in the northeast...

DELAY INFO

ARPT AD DD TIME REASON
BWI +30 2235 WX:TSTMS
DAL +30 2233 TM Initiatives:MIT/MINIT:WX:TSTMS
DCA +30 2135 WX:TSTMS
DFW +15 2018 TM Initiatives:MIT/MINIT:WX:TSTMS
EWR +45 2248 WX:SWAP
EWR +45 2250 ZDC/WX:TSTMS (airborne arrival delays)
IAD +135 2234 WX:TSTMS
JFK +90 2215 TM Initiatives:MIT/MINIT:WX:Swap
LGA +105 2103 TM Initiatives:GS:WX:Swap
PHL -45 2211 TM Initiatives:MIT/MINIT:WX:Swap
PVD +60 2100 WX:TSTMS
TEB +180 2131 SWAP.
TEB +30 2250 ZDC/WX:TSTMS (airborne arrival delays)

Iberia A340-600
2007-06-28, 08:38 PM
More recently then in the past SWF has been getting BOS diversions and today we are getting an AirTran diversion from RIC.

Laxgoaly
2007-06-29, 12:26 AM

Regards

LGA777

HPN seems to close when the control tower windows get rain drops on them... TEB is constantly getting HPN diversions... the pilots all complain how they seem to close up shop at first sight of a storm

DHG750R
2007-06-29, 12:38 AM

Regards

LGA777

Back in the day , JFK would be a preferred place for the LGA ISP and HPN dversions too.

I remember a US 727 that diverted from LGA and landed but couldnt find the gate at the old TWA Intl terminal ( I refuse to call it terminal 5 ) . I had to go get it on a tug to have him follow me to the gate .

Usually any kind of emergency landing or problem that required a nice long runway meant a unscheduled visit to JFK.