PDA

View Full Version : Radio Ads for Qatar Airways?

mirrodie
2007-06-27, 07:04 PM
Anyone herard them on CBS radio?

Never knew I was mispronoucing "QATAR" for years...(no thanks to my 6th grade social studies teacher)

sounds like..."Cat-Are"

cute commercial in how it pokes fun at its own name.

Mateo
2007-06-27, 09:39 PM
The "Q" sound is one that doesn't exist in English - think "K" but said from deep in the throat. Whereas you say "K" with the back of the tongue, the Arabic "Q" is formed by closing the epiglottis. The Voice of America pronunciation guide at http://names.voa.gov/ is a great resource for all sorts of foreign names.

They've been running radio ads in Washington, too, in advance of Dulles service starting on July 19. I've only heard them on the news station (our equivalent of WINS), and they all tout the 3-class luxury service and the connections to the Subcontinent and other destinations not easily reached (Seychelles, Rangoon, etc..).

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-27, 10:08 PM
MAteo, I think the prnounciation question has to do with the accent ont he word. Most of us already know the the Q is Qatar sounds like a K, but most of us have been pronouncing it "kuh-tar" as opposed to "kat-tar".

I just saw an ad for them on TV actually.

hiss srq
2007-06-27, 11:12 PM
Speaking of spelling and sounding Phil I noticed as I get better you are getting worse though my writing is still doctor like (sorry Mario)

mirrodie
2007-06-28, 10:14 AM
Speaking of spelling and sounding Phil I noticed as I get better you are getting worse though my writing is still doctor like (sorry Mario)

Whoa, OK, I sense a challenge. Spelling (not a typing) Bee. Winner takes the other's camera equipment.

hiss srq
2007-06-28, 10:44 AM

Whoa, OK, I sense a challenge. Spelling (not a typing) Bee. Winner takes the other's camera equipment.]

Wow this sounds like some fun in the making.