PDA

View Full Version : Local media: New York City subway system suffers major power

Midnight Mike
2007-06-27, 04:15 PM
No information as of yet......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-27, 04:20 PM
Uh, we just had a SEVERE thunderstorm. I'd assume it's related.

I don't see how that's national "breaking" news. Is the suspicion and paranoia of terrorism really that bad?

I can't believe no power onthe 4/5/6 made national news so fast.

Midnight Mike
2007-06-27, 04:24 PM
I don't see how that's national "breaking" news. Is the suspicion and paranoia of terrorism really that bad?

I can't believe no power onthe 4/5/6 made national news so fast.

Paris Hilton is out of jail, been of media people running around with nothing to do :lol:

Matt Molnar
2007-06-27, 04:34 PM
More likely the heat combined with ConEd's incompetence... storms generally don't affect power in Manhattan, where the cables are all underground.

The affected area seems to be the Upper East Side from the 60s to the 110s, from 5th Ave to the East River. The 4, 5, 6, E, D and V are out.

I just heard an unverified rumor that City Hall, which is nowhere near the UES, is also dark.

By the way, ConEd recently filed for a 17% rate increase. :evil:

Mellyrose
2007-06-27, 04:49 PM
Actually....

Sources say the problem in the Bronx began due to a sub-station fire underground.

RDU-JFK
2007-06-27, 04:50 PM
The Q is still doing fine 8)

Mellyrose
2007-06-27, 05:02 PM
I hope the N/W is...or I'm swimming home. :?

Matt Molnar
2007-06-27, 05:03 PM
Other sources say it was lightning. Chances are all these "sources" are ConEd employees to make it seem like a natural occurrence.

Anyway, all the power is back (allegedly) in Manhattan and soon in the Bronx. At its peak, 375,000 people were in the dark, but most of them were downtown at work.

RDU-JFK
2007-06-27, 05:05 PM
Yup...looks like the media made a mountain over a molehill...glad ConEd fixed everything quickly this time.

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-27, 05:27 PM
I'm biased here, as I was raised a Con Ed salary, but I think a lot of the criticism that ConEd faces is unfair.

MOST places outside of NYC deal with power outages even during regular rain....they expect itoften. We only have occasional problems during severe weather (heat + thunderstorms).

Also keep in mind that the fact that NYC has seasons with very opposite weather, going form cold to hot in months, which creates strain and damage to the infrastructure no matter what you do. In addition, you're tlaking about a power grid that was built mostly underground in a city that was almost already completley built on top of....not easy.

Not to mention the strain of 9 million people who waste power like it's air.

RDU-JFK
2007-06-27, 05:30 PM
Not to mention the strain of 9 million people who waste power like it's air.

Agreed. It's a shame. And we don't have AC in our house, only fans, so when people complain about having no AC I want to tell them to shut their mouth! :(

moose135
2007-06-27, 05:49 PM
Yup...looks like the media made a mountain over a molehill...glad ConEd fixed everything quickly this time.

Yes, because a power outage affecting over 300,000 people, which shut down subway service and traffic lights in Manhattan is no big deal.

emshighway
2007-06-27, 06:30 PM
LGA CTB CC D American lost power also. Con Ed couldn't say if it was related or an additional problem. Area is back up.

nwafan20
2007-06-27, 09:54 PM
Whenever there is a storm, we normally loose power out here. Consider yourselves lucky ;)

hiss srq
2007-06-27, 11:10 PM
Not a spec of power loss out here. thank god I was not tower bound today.

RDU-JFK
2007-06-28, 08:14 AM

Yes, because a power outage affecting over 300,000 people, which shut down subway service and traffic lights in Manhattan is no big deal.

Official time without power was 48 minutes before Con Ed fixed it...subways were up and running with some delays by PM rush. Yes, I call that no big deal. As nwafan20 said, it happens all the time in other cities.