PDA

View Full Version : Sprinklers Douse Hundreds at LAX

Matt Molnar
2007-06-25, 11:24 AM
Sprinklers Douse Hundreds at LA Airport (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070624/D8PVFPG00.html)
Jun 24, 7:21 PM (ET)

RAQUEL MARIA DILLON

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Fire sprinklers at a Los Angeles International Airport terminal turned on Sunday after a water pipe broke, dousing passengers waiting for flights or picking up their bags.

Terminal One was temporarily evacuated, and the baggage claim and screening areas experienced minor flooding, said airport spokesman Marshall Lowe.

Lowe didn't know how long the sprinklers were on or how many people got wet, or have any damage estimates to the airport. Several flights had been delayed, Lowe said, but he didn't know how many or for how long.

About 30 minutes after the evacuation, passengers were being readmitted, officials said.

Long lines formed in front of the terminal, as passengers had to go through security checkpoints to be readmitted. Normally busy Sunday morning traffic was especially congested, and police directed cars around the terminal.

Dimity Carlson, 56, who had been visiting Los Angeles with her son, described a chaotic scene where people were rushing toward the doors and knocking over the check-in lines.

"We were inside and there was a rush of people, and they were yelling for us to go outside," said Carlson, of Tampa, Fla.

Carlson and her son missed their flight during the evacuation and were being rerouted through Las Vegas, she said.

At the Southwest Airlines check-in counter, computers were covered in plastic. The baggage claim area on the lower level was cordoned off, and sawdust and puddles of water lined the floor.

Garbage cans and buckets were spread out in a large section of the baggage claim area, gathering water drops that continued to fall from ceiling tiles.

mirrodie
2007-06-25, 11:27 AM
Heard in the LAX terminal moments before....

"Sprinklers??!!! We don't need no stinkin' sprinklers!"

moose135
2007-06-25, 11:38 AM
And that's exactly the reason they didn't install sprinklers in the new terminal at ISP :wink:

lijk604
2007-06-25, 12:40 PM
Dimity Carlson, 56, who had been visiting Los Angeles with her son, described a chaotic scene where people were rushing toward the doors and knocking over the check-in lines.

Because the worst thing in the world to have happen is to take a shower! ;)

Alex T
2007-06-25, 01:16 PM
Now to make things a bit more serious...

What had happened if that was me. If my hearing aids got wet, they would be damaged. and I would not be able to hear at all.

Do I have any grounds to make the airport pay for "breaking" my hearing aids?

Not looking to sue anyone or anything, im just wondering, because i carry an umbrella with me ALWAYS, in case it rains, so I have a protection over my hearing aids. They absolutely cannot get wet, at all.

Alex

hiss srq
2007-06-25, 01:47 PM
I understand your poin t and now for the ever impoprtant bash of WN pax that I must partake in every so often at the expense of being bashed by Tommy and Alex. I think this is a great thing actually. Southwest passengers are now finally free of Body Odor!!!!! (Ducks Tommy's sucker punch)

moose135
2007-06-25, 02:04 PM
And how many of us would be traveling with a bag full of expensive camera equipment that would get damaged?

hiss srq
2007-06-25, 02:11 PM
And how many of us would be traveling with a bag full of expensive camera equipment that would get damaged?

Probably all in which case I would indeed be pissed off. Probably calling my lawyer immediately lol.

RDU-JFK
2007-06-25, 02:15 PM
Now to make things a bit more serious...

What had happened if that was me. If my hearing aids got wet, they would be damaged. and I would not be able to hear at all.

Not looking to sue anyone or anything, im just wondering, because i carry an umbrella with me ALWAYS, in case it rains, so I have a protection over my hearing aids. They absolutely cannot get wet, at all.

Alex

Depends what the policy wording says. It would be a property damage claim against the Terminal's Airport General Liability policy, but there might be a water damage exclusion. However usually it's limited to floods so you'd have a good shot.

Alex T
2007-06-25, 02:22 PM
[quote="Alex T":e86c7]Now to make things a bit more serious...

Alex

Depends what the policy wording says. It would be a property damage claim against the Terminal's Airport General Liability policy, but there might be a water damage exclusion. However usually it's limited to floods so you'd have a good shot.[/quote:e86c7]

That has always ben my worry being in public places, something breaking so the fire alarm goes off and the sprinklers set...

now of course if there is a fire for real by all means let it pour, id rather be alive of course.

But in cases like this , and it was an accident, i have always feared of it actually happening where my hearing aids got wet and damaged and I would have to pay a lot of money to have it fixed.

Ok back to the bantering...and ryan im not even gonna respond to that...

Alex

hiss srq
2007-06-25, 02:24 PM
[quote="RDU-JFK":d9f6f][quote="Alex T":d9f6f]Now to make things a bit more serious...

Alex

Depends what the policy wording says. It would be a property damage claim against the Terminal's Airport General Liability policy, but there might be a water damage exclusion. However usually it's limited to floods so you'd have a good shot.[/quote:d9f6f]

That has always ben my worry being in public places, something breaking so the fire alarm goes off and the sprinklers set...

now of course if there is a fire for real by all means let it pour, id rather be alive of course.

But in cases like this , and it was an accident, i have always feared of it actually happening where my hearing aids got wet and damaged and I would have to pay a lot of money to have it fixed.

Ok back to the bantering...and ryan im not even gonna respond to that...

Alex[/quote:d9f6f]

:lol: :wink: :twisted: