PDA

View Full Version : Considering "The Mounds" for the First Time

shamrock838
2007-06-06, 12:30 PM
Greetings,

OK … I'm thinking of visiting The Mounds" for the first time and was wondering about the area itself for a *solo* visitor ... and fit *senior citizen* ... who relies on public transportation to get around.

The JFK Spotting Map shows "The Mounds" at the foot of 230th Place about two blocks south of 147th Avenue. The local Q111/113 bus lines start out in Jamaica and run along 147th Avenue past 230th Place on the way to Far Rockaway.

Are there any local factors that I should be aware of? Knowing the "lay of the land" will help me decide whether to go or not.

Personal e-mail reply is fine if preferred. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

mirrodie
2007-06-06, 12:46 PM
I finalyl got there a few months ago. It was nice a hte nice, No ticks to be worried about but I think Ticks and personal insect repellent is paramount.

Also, the 22s have to be in use in the AM for you to see anthing decent.

Tom_Turner
2007-06-06, 12:49 PM
Mike -

The soccer field is right behind a school.

This can bring unwanted attention on weekdays. And possibly spoil your whole day.

If you have the flexability I would recomment mid to late afternoon weekend spotting and I think you'll be happy with it (presuming 22s are in use).

Wear light colored pants, because as you go up on the mounds there, the area has a tick infestation. They''ll get on your clothes from the low brush. Jeans in particular.

As for the nighborhood, the immediate block or two appear relatively "safe", but I do consider it to have the potential to be dangerous (i.e. someone may want to take your camera.).

Good Luck!
Tom

Delta777LR
2007-06-06, 02:34 PM
I visited the mounds a number of times and in my opinion its actually one of the best places to spot the 22 arrivals. I barely see police officers around unless its the school officers that are sometimes around during the regular school day in which its right across the soccer field.

adam613
2007-06-06, 03:25 PM
I've been out to The Mounds a couple of times, once by public transit and once in someone's car. It's probably my favorite JFK spotting location, assuming the runways cooperate. The spotting location itself seems to be a fairly safe area, but it is surrounded by some of the rougher parts of Queens...not the sort of neighborhood I'd want to be wandering around after dark.

But you do have the right directions; take the Q111/113 to 230th place and walk towards the airport. You can also take the LIRR to Laurelton; it's about a mile walking from there, keeping in mind that it is a bad neighborhood and you are advised to put your scanner and camera in a worn-out backpack. :)

hiss srq
2007-06-06, 05:12 PM
I hope your not considering "the mounds" for the first time only now in your life. ;)

NIKV69
2007-06-07, 10:16 AM
No ticks to be worried about but I think Ticks and personal insect repellent is paramount.

Well said Mario. Spot on.

Though the mounds is strictly a late day spot. Sun has to be low.

As for the neighboorhood it's fine. The soccer crowd has always been nice to me. I even played a few times and re-created Totti's penalty shot against AUS. GOALLLLLLLLLLLLL

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-07, 10:40 AM
I find these suits to be helpful when spotting at the mounds.

http://www.bees.co.nz/h00994b.gif

mirrodie
2007-06-07, 12:02 PM
I find these suits to be helpful when spotting at the mounds.

http://www.bees.co.nz/h00994b.gif

I have one of those. Unfortunately, they don't repel Nick.

NIKV69
2007-06-07, 02:39 PM
I have one of those. Unfortunately, they don't repel Nick.

Knew you would love the Totti story, I ran to the corner with my thumb in my mouth too! It was great!

shamrock838
2007-06-07, 02:50 PM
Greetings,

From your collective replies received to date ... and that "The Mounds" is best for spotting late in the day ... I'll have to pass on this site for now ... given my particular situation as described in the initial post.

If NYCA one day gets some group spotter trips starting from a common, readily accessible starting point ... I'll be more than interested.

Thanks for clarifying the situation "at this point in time."

Mike (shamrock838)

NIKV69
2007-06-08, 10:09 AM
Had a nice afternoon at the mounds yesterday. Met up with Wulanadreaming and his brother. We played soccer and I once again re-lived a great WC last year. Jakub showed up and we shot. Caught Eurofly and had a nice time. Didn't need the Hazmat suit Phil speaks of. Checked myself at my car while leaving and no ticks to speak of. Also the ice cream man passes by now so you can get bottled water and there is a port a lav as well. A home run!

wunaladreamin
2007-06-08, 05:28 PM
LOL @ Nick. Far post huh Pele? Good times bro, good times.

T-Bird76
2007-06-08, 05:52 PM
Had a nice afternoon at the mounds yesterday. Met up with Wulanadreaming and his brother. We played soccer and I once again re-lived a great WC last year. Jakub showed up and we shot. Caught Eurofly and had a nice time. Didn't need the Hazmat suit Phil speaks of. Checked myself at my car while leaving and no ticks to speak of. Also the ice cream man passes by now so you can get bottled water and there is a port a lav as well. A home run!

While you may not need the hazmat suit bug spray and light colored clothing is highly recommended.