PDA

View Full Version : LGA Wave-off on Approach to Runway 31/

shamrock838
2007-06-03, 10:36 PM
Greetings ...

While spotting at the World's Fair Marina on Sunday, May 20 ... I noticed a Delta MD type making a very high approach to runway 31.

When it kept on flying level over the end of the runway I figured I was seeing the a wave-off from the control tower. I recall that departing flights were using either cross runway 4 or the reciprocal runway 22 ... I had just arrived on the scene and didn't have a clear picture of the arrival/departure runway setup. But it was apparent that runway 31 wasn't clear where it crossed 4/22 ... though I couldn't see why from where I stood.

I do recall the Delta increasing speed to clear the airspace. I waited for it to make a circuit for another landing attempt but don't recall seeing it again. Alas I didn't make an earlier positive I.D. as I was spotting larger aircraft at the time. Could the Delta have been diverted to another airport ... or did I just miss it when it returned and landed safely at LGA? Thanks.

Also ... had the A/C pulled a boner or had something unexpected occurred where the runways crossed?

I don't recall ever seeing this occur at LGA before. Anyone have insights on this? Thanks.

Mike (shamrock383)

Steven Holzinger
2007-06-03, 10:42 PM
There have been numerous times at LGA where aircraft are told to wave off their approach for a number of reasons (aircraft or thing on runway and unable to clear in time, traffic on the other runway - in this case 4/22 that will affect a landing, animals, etc.), so it's not a rare occurrence. It happens more often when only one runway is active and the other is closed.

LGA777
2007-06-03, 11:12 PM
Actually it so common 5-10 a day are not unusual at all, probably happens around 350-360 days a year. Also the industry term is go-around, wave off is a Navy carrier term. And I have edited this msg as I was typing this one of the inbound A-319's we are waiting for did a go-around on 4 due to visibility in heavy rain showers.

Regards

LGA777

T-Bird76
2007-06-04, 08:49 AM
Over the winter I was coming back on AA from DFW and they were using 31, it was real windy out and we made three attempts to 31 before the pilot decided to use 4. After the third go around even I was a bit nervous as to why the pilot's couldn't get the plane on the ground.

shamrock838
2007-06-04, 05:24 PM
Actually it so common 5-10 a day are not unusual at all, probably happens around 350-360 days a year. Also the industry term is go-around, wave off is a Navy carrier term. And I have edited this msg as I was typing this one of the inbound A-319's we are waiting for did a go-around on 4 due to visibility in heavy rain showers.
Regards
LGA777

LGA777 ...

I happens that often? Wow!

Pardon the "wave off" terminology ... I'm a ex-Navy type (AG2).

Mike (shamrock838)