PDA

View Full Version : ATC For Air Show?

Gerard
2007-06-03, 04:12 PM
Who controlled all the air traffic for the Jones Beach air show? Was it a
controller at a "tower" on the boardwalk? And what frequencies did
they use, military or general aviation? I know this is a little late but I was thinging about it today as I took a leisurely stroll along an empty Jones Beach shoreline.
Thanks.

cancidas
2007-06-03, 05:21 PM
airshows are controlled by the airboss. either they are in a makeshift tower near the gradnstands or other promenant locations on the field. frequencies vary from show to show. frqeuencies at shows are rarely given out, though the unicom is usually the tower freq. there may be different freqs for civilian or millitary, and each perfromer usually has his or her own discrete freq.

nikon50bigma
2007-06-03, 05:28 PM
But some people figure it out. Like when I was at FRG for the Jones Beach air show. Several people had scanners with them, and got the right freq. I couldn't find it.

nwafan20
2007-06-03, 07:28 PM
Now, if the airshow is on an airfield like Thunder Over Michigan is (YIP), does the tower do the controlling?

njgtr82
2007-06-03, 07:48 PM
My experience from when I was at NBC was that we had controllers there but all of the demo's were pretty much uncontrolled. There was an airboss there talking to them to tell them where they were time wise and the controllers only for any possible emergency situations.

pgengler
2007-06-03, 08:16 PM
But some people figure it out. Like when I was at FRG for the Jones Beach air show. Several people had scanners with them, and got the right freq. I couldn't find it.

Well, at the airport, everyone is talking to the tower, which is using the published freq (in the case of FRG, 118.800). So, if you're hanging out at the airport, listening to the tower will let you know who's coming and going.

Added: Just to be clear, I'm talking specifically about a case like FRG, where the planes are at the airport but the show is somewhere else.

cancidas
2007-06-03, 08:20 PM
Now, if the airshow is on an airfield like Thunder Over Michigan is (YIP), does the tower do the controlling?

no, like i said the tower will hand the field over to the airboss at the time the show begins. all other times, the tower has control of the field.

Steven Holzinger
2007-06-03, 10:51 PM
There are times when the airboss AND the tower are in control of an airshow's flying activities - however, that's rare. There is ALWAYS a TFR in place at a show site that exists from the surface up to about 15,000 feet, out to 5 nautical miles. When that TFR is in effect, the airboss is in control and not the tower. The tower can help by making sure no other aircraft other than the aircraft participating in the airshow breaks that cylinder of airspace.

Usually, the airboss will operate under a frequency that's NOT any of the frequencies for the show site. Sometimes it's the ground frequency, sometimes it's not. There are airbosses who operate on their own frequency regardless of the show site. As a side note, callsigns are sometimes forgotten to make the show run smoother (for instance, "Eagle Demo" instead of "First" for an F-15 from Langley AFB).

nwafan20
2007-06-03, 11:09 PM
There are times when the airboss AND the tower are in control of an airshow's flying activities - however, that's rare. There is ALWAYS a TFR in place at a show site that exists from the surface up to about 15,000 feet, out to 5 nautical miles. When that TFR is in effect, the airboss is in control and not the tower. The tower can help by making sure no other aircraft other than the aircraft participating in the airshow breaks that cylinder of airspace.

now explain to me how that would work for YIP. From what I understand, it is still an operating airfield when the show is going down and the only time it was restricted last year was for the B-2 flyover. Also, DTW would be in that restriction, so they must have a smaller one or something.

cancidas
2007-06-03, 11:22 PM

Usually, the airboss will operate under a frequency that's NOT any of the frequencies for the show site. Sometimes it's the ground frequency, sometimes it's not. There are airbosses who operate on their own frequency regardless of the show site. As a side note, callsigns are sometimes forgotten to make the show run smoother (for instance, "Eagle Demo" instead of "First" for an F-15 from Langley AFB).

this happens rarely though. i remember having a delayed flight to PIT last summer because of an airshow there. the TFR was up but because of the proximity to PIT itself a corridor was left for departing and arriving commercial traffic. the tower controlled that traffic only, and could not deviate them for anything but serious safety concerns. airboss was in charge of the show itself on other freqs.

Steven Holzinger
2007-06-04, 09:47 AM
Dayton is another show that must allow commercial traffic to freely arrive/depart during the airshow. Luckily, the show is on one side of the airport, with a runway for the airshow, and another parallel runway is used primarily for the airline traffic (behind the crowd). However, when a jet team is flying, the airspace MUST be closed to all traffic for safety reasons. I suppose traffic details for airports operating just outside the 5 NM radius must be worked out in advance... I mean look at JFK and Jones Beach... I think they were on the 13s for the show and switched to the 31s after the Thunderbirds performed.

Gerard
2007-06-04, 10:40 PM
[I mean look at JFK and Jones Beach... I think they were on the 13s for the show and switched to the 31s after the Thunderbirds performed

Quite right. As soon as the show was over and I started heading up from the shoreline I could see the 31s coming in already. They sure didnt
waste any time.
Thanks guys for all the replies.