PDA

View Full Version : Zero G flight

mirrodie
2007-05-30, 10:42 PM
I read this, in the most recent sharper image magazine, with interest.

BUt I stpped when I read the remarks by Stephen Hawking. How do you suppose they did that?
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails/sku__ZG001

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-30, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't be able to explain it well, so I grabbed this from their site:

"How does parabolic flight work?

The weightless experience offered by ZERO-G is not simulated. It is the result of the same principles that cause astronauts in orbit to experience zero-gravity and provides an experience that is truly “Like Nothing on Earth”.

Specially trained pilots fly parabolic maneuvers between approximately 24,000 and 32,000 feet altitude. The plane is initially heading upwards until it reaches the peak of the parabola and at the point at which the captain reaches the appropriate altitude; he flies into a shape of a parabola. It is over the top of the parabola that gravity is perfectly defied and guests inside experience weightlessness. When inside the aircraft, it is extremely smooth and you are unable to tell which direction the airplane is facing as it becomes a magical floating room. For about 30 seconds everything in the plane is completely weightless. After the pilot has sustained the maneuver to the maximum time, he begins to gain altitude again as he gently “pulls out” of the parabola and repeats it again. In between parabolas, everything in the aircraft becomes heavy as the pull out generates about 1.8 g’s of force."

Derf
2007-05-30, 11:05 PM
hehe....Every plane has that capibility.... I remember a flight in a commercial airliner that did it. I was in the back, nobody else on the plane and pilot says the worst thing you can ever hear a pilot say.... "wanna see somthin neat?". If you hear that, RUN!

1st time a pilot told me that I was in a 720 doing parabolic 0G manuvers-YES I KNOW THAT IS NOT THE RIGHT SPELLING

2nd time we were doing crosswind landings and the instructor said "hey, this looks like fun...can I try?"

3rd time we broke a full motion Level D simulator

4th time we lost a roll of toliet paper out of the cockpit

5th time I got blown about 20 feet across a ramp and landed on my head
ah hell..... that put me to about 10 years old....do I need to continue?

cancidas
2007-05-30, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't be able to explain it well, so I grabbed this from their site:

"How does parabolic flight work?

The weightless experience offered by ZERO-G is not simulated. It is the result of the same principles that cause astronauts in orbit to experience zero-gravity and provides an experience that is truly “Like Nothing on Earth”.

Specially trained pilots fly parabolic maneuvers between approximately 24,000 and 32,000 feet altitude. The plane is initially heading upwards until it reaches the peak of the parabola and at the point at which the captain reaches the appropriate altitude; he flies into a shape of a parabola. It is over the top of the parabola that gravity is perfectly defied and guests inside experience weightlessness. When inside the aircraft, it is extremely smooth and you are unable to tell which direction the airplane is facing as it becomes a magical floating room. For about 30 seconds everything in the plane is completely weightless. After the pilot has sustained the maneuver to the maximum time, he begins to gain altitude again as he gently “pulls out” of the parabola and repeats it again. In between parabolas, everything in the aircraft becomes heavy as the pull out generates about 1.8 g’s of force."

you don't need to do it that high. the reason they go so high is because they need the altitude to recover from the maneuver. all you need to do is fly the parabola. these guys did it in a cesssna: WfGMOvPzrvE

Derf
2007-05-31, 12:24 AM
but I feel bad for the person who has to sit in the back seat next!

I think I smell Poopoo

Derf
2007-05-31, 12:25 AM
And I do not normally say Poopoo...... You guys are special!

hiss srq
2007-05-31, 12:31 AM
Used to do it flying in Florida all the time. When I climb back into the cockpit of airplanes again here shortly you can bet the odds are I will be back at making things float and people puke.

Derf
2007-05-31, 12:43 AM
............here shortly you can bet the odds are I will be back at making things float and people puke.

Yea, My stomach turned inside out and tried to come out of my throat (I have no idea when it got there). I did not throw up, but I did think my new nickname would be ... "baggin chunks" on the way home.

mirrodie
2007-05-31, 08:52 AM
[quote="mirrodie"]
But I stopped when I read the remarks by Stephen Hawking. How do you suppose they did that?
[quote]

Silly Rabbits, of course I understand how the process works.

Bon Giorno! I'm double surprised to see no one caught the question at hand ;)

Stephen Hawkin, a famous physicist, if I am thinking of the right gentleman, has been confined to a wheelchair for much of his adult life, if not forever.

So what I was wondering was how they had him in the experience. Rolled into the cabin on the plane and float from the chair? Or float from the floor? Was he up in the air with the wheelchair?

It's a serious question. Bottom line is its nice to see that those with handicaps might be able to do the experience. for $3765 ;)

moose135
2007-05-31, 09:17 AM
Stephen Hawkin, a famous physicist, if I am thinking of the right gentleman, has been confined to a wheelchair for much of his adult life, if not forever.

So what I was wondering was how they had him in the experience. Rolled into the cabin on the plane and float from the chair? Or float from the floor? Was he up in the air with the wheelchair?

It's a serious question. Bottom line is its nice to see that those with handicaps might be able to do the experience. for $3765 ;)

Yes, that's the guy you are thinking of. I saw some video on the news - looks like he was laying on a bench or table (maybe just a mat on the floor?), and when they pushed over and everyone started floating, he had some folks helping to steady him so he didn't bounce off anything inside the airplane.

Matt Molnar
2007-05-31, 09:23 AM
He was not in a chair. There were people holding him and stuff.
http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2007/427hawking550x367.jpg

mirrodie
2007-05-31, 09:33 AM
While I wasn't prepared for the visual, real great to see that Zero G will have the capacity to reach out.

Very cool!

But...now the next obvious question.

Only he is floating while the others are on the mat....Selective weightlessness?? Or perhaps the Parabolic curve where you are simulating a sixth of your weight?

Matt Molnar
2007-05-31, 09:40 AM
The others might be tethered down. They probably wouldn't be useful in helping Hawking if they were also floating around.