PDA

View Full Version : FRG and the museum on the weekends

nikon50bigma
2007-05-30, 03:39 PM
Hey everyone,
How is it at FRG and at the museum at FRG on regular weekends without the show?
If I go there this Friday is there any chance I might see the P-40's or anything else fly in terms of warbirds?
Thanks

Informant
2007-05-30, 05:28 PM
Its a bunch of old guys who sit around, pull out planes, start up the engines, shut em down,put them back in the hangar, and then tell stories. It doesn't get very busy on regular weekends.

nikon50bigma
2007-05-30, 06:05 PM
No chance to see them fly?

Derf
2007-05-30, 08:49 PM
Its a bunch of old guys who sit around, pull out planes, start up the engines, shut em down,put them back in the hangar, and then tell stories. It doesn't get very busy on regular weekends.
Ummm NO... Not true

They usually fly at least 1 aircraft during the weekend, the busy weekends I have seen 5-6 aircraft fly but that is rare...more like 1-4 flights a day on weekends and usually 1-2 on week days. They will start aircraft up and shut them down if attendance is low or there are not pilots around that day. There are not many pilots that are trained to fly those aircraft so you do get days were there is not much going on, but I am always there and always see stuff flying. Informant should visit more, or see my hard drive!!! ;)

And then we can talk about being on the ramp 30 feet from the threshold. This is the best place for spotting at this airport if they are using the runway by the AAM. You get some very nice shots with very little zoom.....ya know, becuase your bigma zoom sucks and all! ;)

T-Bird76
2007-05-30, 08:54 PM

I'm blown away by your statement... What goes on at the AAM is unlike anything else you've seen which apparently you have blinders on or you would have seen it. There are not to many museums that can say most of their old war bird’s fly. I find you comments to be highly insulting to the volunteers many who are veterans to this nation who put in their time at the AAM.

nikon50bigma
2007-05-30, 09:48 PM
Ummm NO... Not true

They usually fly at least 1 aircraft during the weekend, the busy weekends I have seen 5-6 aircraft fly but that is rare...more like 1-4 flights a day on weekends and usually 1-2 on week days. They will start aircraft up and shut them down if attendance is low or there are not pilots around that day. There are not many pilots that are trained to fly those aircraft so you do get days were there is not much going on, but I am always there and always see stuff flying. Informant should visit more, or see my hard drive!!! ;)

And then we can talk about being on the ramp 30 feet from the threshold. This is the best place for spotting at this airport if they are using the runway by the AAM. You get some very nice shots with very little zoom.....ya know, becuase your bigma zoom sucks and all! ;)

30 ft from the threshold, you mean from the ramp/tarmac or from the fence?
Btw what do ya think about that ISO problem my D50 has w/ the Bigma?

Derf
2007-05-30, 09:53 PM
Woops, sorry.... Threshold is like 30-50 feet from the old control tower which is AAM Property, from the side of the hangar, aircraft pass like 30 feet from you on final. I will post some pictures soon for you to see location.

moose135
2007-05-30, 10:04 PM
Btw what do ya think about that ISO problem my D50 has w/ the Bigma?

Shoulda got a Canon :wink:

I have to echo what Fred & Tommy said - the Airpower Museum is a unique opportunity to see a number of classic aircraft in operation. They actually fly these birds, they don't just park them in a corner and let kids drop ice cream on them. Obviously, some days will be busier than others, but most weekends you will see something fly.

And when they aren't flying, it is worth the price of admission to talk to the volunteers. They are not a "bunch of old guys who sit around...and tell stories" as Informant said. These guys lived the history most of us only read about in books (for those of us who still read books). They were there in Europe, North Africa, and the Pacific, Korea and Vietnam. They flew these aircraft, maintained them, and in at least one case, were rescued by them. The stories they tell are priceless. On more than one occasion, I've found I've completely lost track of time while listening to these fine gentlemen.

Spend a day at the museum - look at the airplanes, listen to the engines, smell the avgas and oil, and sit and talk with a couple of the volunteers. I assure you that you will be hooked. We have a gem right here in our own backyard, please don't miss it, and do not disrespect the fine work these folks do.

mirrodie
2007-05-30, 10:11 PM

Informant....where exactly are you getting this information from?!

While old props are not my thing, it's far from a quiet museum.

nikon50bigma
2007-05-30, 10:35 PM
Woops, sorry.... Threshold is like 30-50 feet from the old control tower which is AAM Property, from the side of the hangar, aircraft pass like 30 feet from you on final. I will post some pictures soon for you to see location.

Can regular people who go to the AAM go there, or is that just for the privledged few :) ?

Tom_Turner
2007-05-30, 10:40 PM
Informant, I'd have to concur with the others - lets give the Museum and their associates some credit.

On the off-chance you had something else behind those comments, let me just say diplomatically, that (from casual observation lately on my part) the museum appears to have come a long way in recent times and deserves a lot of credit.

There were some "issues" -- and talking with the old timers there on a few occasions, as well as witnessing them first hand, I know about them, but I'd like to believe - and it appears to be, those have been cleared up for the most part.

Bottom line, we're lucky to have AAM in our neck of the woods.

Tom

T-Bird76
2007-05-30, 10:45 PM
Informant, I'd have to concur with the others - lets give the Museum and their associates some credit.

On the off-chance you had something else behind those comments, let me just say diplomatically, that (from casual observation lately on my part) the museum appears to have come a long way in recent times and deserves a lot of credit.

There were some "issues" -- and talking with the old timers there on a few occasions, as well as witnessing them first hand, I know about them, but I'd like to believe - and it appears to be, those have been cleared up for the most part.

Bottom line, we're lucky to have AAM in our neck of the woods.

Tom

Tom you should run for President! You have a great way with words, me I'll just call someone a tool and be done with it, lolol Tom Turner in 08!

Derf
2007-05-30, 10:56 PM
Tom's got my vote....as for the tower tour, they run it during the
weekends, I think they usually stay up top for about 10-20 minutes.
That depends on the person taking you up. If you want to go to the AAM,
drop me a line and I will try to meet you that day. I am usually there
before work for an hour.. I usually am in around 2-3.....and I always
hear..... FRED, YOU JUST MISSED IT! The (INSERT ANY WARBIRD) just
left / arrived!

I am not sure why you had different shutter speeds than me... Hey
guys, Same Zoom/F-Stop/ISO and exposure comp but I was getting
1/1000-1/1600 sec and Bigma man was getting 1/640th of a sec! He had
a hoya UV but that should barley cut out any light, not kill half the light!

I sit here with a deer in headlight look because what I said should not
be possible. anyone?

Tom_Turner
2007-05-30, 10:57 PM
LOL.. thanks tommy... We can form the Tool Party. . :)

btw... Did you happen to notice where the Catalina is? Is it in the main hangar or someplace else? I was going to take a look around over the weekend, but it was very crowded of course, so I figured I'd get back to it later in the summer, and just stuck to the perimeter.

Tom you should run for President! You have a great way with words, me I'll just call someone a tool and be done with it, lolol Tom Turner in 08!

moose135
2007-05-30, 11:00 PM

Can regular people who go to the AAM go there, or is that just for the privledged few :) ?

The museum gives tours of the old control tower during the weekend - it's included as part your admission. The ramp outside the museum hangar is open to visitors, and you can get some good shots from there. These two were shot from outside the museum hangar. First one is at 180mm zoom, the second was at 28mm.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/92765711-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155305678-L.jpg

nikon50bigma
2007-05-30, 11:01 PM
LOL.. thanks tommy... We can form the Tool Party. . :)

btw... Did you happen to notice where the Catalina is? Is it in the main hangar or someplace else? I was going to take a look around over the weekend, but it was very crowded of course, so I figured I'd get back to it later in the summer, and just stuck to the perimeter.

[quote="T-Bird76":e1e94]

Tom you should run for President! You have a great way with words, me I'll just call someone a tool and be done with it, lolol Tom Turner in 08![/quote:e1e94]

Well the "consolidated" catalinia I think is in the main hanger from what I remember, the same building where the F-14 was.
Btw does that C-130 stop by for a visit often?

moose135
2007-05-30, 11:08 PM
Yes, Tom, the Catalina is in the main hangar, on the south side of the building. They moved it inside the same day it arrived last November until it is fully restored.

Derf
2007-05-30, 11:10 PM
No, the C-130 does not stop by, it was here for the airshow

The PBY is sitting in the main hangar on the south west corner pointed towards homedepot. They have yet to start any work but will be overhauling the engines. It is not flyable....They were able to make the ferry with the engines the way they were.

Tom_Turner
2007-05-30, 11:18 PM
Hi Fred --

Yes, it caught me by surprise they were able to fly it in. I had seen it back in 2001 at Elmira. Does the Museum plan to return it to flying condition? I thought they were going to do that for some reason.

Shame AAM could not pick up Fuddy Duddy as well. But thats just me being greedy... :)

Am I correctc that the B-17 that used to be based at FRG is the one now in Memphis Belle colors on the airshow circuit?

I hope FRG can get Liberty Belle and Sentimental Journey to stop by one of these weekends. I still need to shoot both of those.

Thanks,
Tom

No, the C-130 does not stop by, it was here for the airshow

The PBY is sitting in the main hangar on the south west corner pointed towards homedepot. They have yet to start any work but will be overhauling the engines. It is not flyable....They were able to make the ferry with the engines the way they were.

nikon50bigma
2007-05-30, 11:34 PM
Hey Fred,
What is going on with the D-Day day at FRG is that being held on June 6th or that weekend?
It would be nice to see a couple C-47s, P-51's and P-40's in formation over Jones or FRG.

Nick
2007-05-31, 12:03 AM
What are the requirements to volunteer at the museum.. I like airplanes, I fix 'em. I know they have like wings, and stuff. C'mon.. :-D

Derf
2007-05-31, 12:07 AM
Hi Fred --

Yes, it caught me by surprise they were able to fly it in. I had seen it back in 2001 at Elmira. Does the Museum plan to return it to flying condition? I thought they were going to do that for some reason.

Shame AAM could not pick up Fuddy Duddy as well. But thats just me being greedy... :)

Am I correctc that the B-17 that used to be based at FRG is the one now in Memphis Belle colors on the airshow circuit?

I hope FRG can get Liberty Belle and Sentimental Journey to stop by one of these weekends. I still need to shoot both of those.

Thanks,
Tom

They want to fly it on weekends. They want to get a barge and put it in the bay and have passengers help spot the german U-Boat. It of course needs LOTS of love and care first.

The Belle was the B-17 that the AAM was going to get. Shame... it is in really poor condition compared to the other B-17's.

Derf
2007-05-31, 12:09 AM
Hey Fred,
What is going on with the D-Day day at FRG is that being held on June 6th or that weekend?
It would be nice to see a couple C-47s, P-51's and P-40's in formation over Jones or FRG.

Well, a couple of C-47s are not possible as they are not many around, but the will be flying the hell out of their C-47 that weekend.

D-Day is HUGE at the AAM, should be lots flying all day! Great day to be at Farmingdale.

Derf
2007-05-31, 12:19 AM
What are the requirements to volunteer at the museum.. I like airplanes, I fix 'em. I know they have like wings, and stuff. C'mon.. :-D

Minimum requirements are LOVE OF AVIATION.... other than that, working a broom is probably mandatory for minimum requirement, if you are an A&P, You will learn allot there! See Frank and he can tell you how to fix anything. Frank is one of those guys that is good for a story or 2billion. I think the stories around that place is even better than the aircraft they flew, it is a shame that they have reporters that know nothing.

I was going for a ride in Connie Mats a few year back and I was listening to a reporter from 1010 wins asking questions... The pilot said "I remember loosing 2 engines on takeoff...." and was interrupted by a very smart reporter with the question "But these are not as fast as the Jets, right?"

Grrrrr

Informant: You need to go back and try again, I am sorry you did not have luck when you went there. Go for D-Day or any weekend the next few weeks. I hope you are surprised. Any

nikon50bigma
2007-05-31, 03:57 AM
Hey Fred,

Well, a couple of C-47s are not possible as they are not many around, but the will be flying the hell out of their C-47 that weekend.

D-Day is HUGE at the AAM, should be lots flying all day! Great day to be at Farmingdale.

I'll definatly be there!

nikon50bigma
2007-05-31, 04:38 PM
Well I originaly planed to go to Reading, Pa tomorrow for the WWII weekend they had. But plans change, it looks like I'll be heading out to FRG tomorrow, does anyone know if the lancaster and B-17 is still there?

moose135
2007-05-31, 04:52 PM
Well I originaly planed to go to Reading, Pa tomorrow for the WWII weekend they had. But plans change, it looks like I'll be heading out to FRG tomorrow, does anyone know if the lancaster and B-17 is still there?

Sorry, they are both gone.

stuart schechter
2007-05-31, 07:53 PM
I'll be at D-Day!

nikon50bigma
2007-05-31, 09:37 PM
Around what time do they start the planes up: like around noonish?

Derf
2007-05-31, 10:40 PM
Around what time do they start the planes up: like around noonish?EARLY!!!! Like 9-10

nikon50bigma
2007-05-31, 11:13 PM
Anyone else going to be spotting at FRG tomorrow?

mirrodie
2007-06-01, 09:30 AM
Have fun today. nice sky.

I'll tell you, once of the things I love about FRG is the large open cemetary just east of it. As I drive on Pinelawn Rd every morning, I love watching those aircraft takeoff and land from that wide perspective.
It's lends something to the eye that you can't experience at EWR JFK or LGA.

GrummanFan
2007-06-01, 11:18 AM
About the Tomcat; I know it was supposed to be put up on display outside of Grumman's Bethpage headquarters, anyone know how that is going, or when the museum will have to give up the Tomcat?

Derf
2007-06-01, 01:33 PM
September.....but that will probably change.

nikon50bigma
2007-06-01, 02:43 PM
Well the sky wasn't that great, a little bit backlit, very actualy.
But I didn't stay there very long because I asked one of the people there if anyone who be flying.
The answer was a "negative", so I headed out, nice trip though.

Derf
2007-06-01, 06:12 PM
Well the sky wasn't that great, a little bit backlit, very actualy.
But I didn't stay there very long because I asked one of the people there if anyone who be flying.
The answer was a "negative", so I headed out, nice trip though.
Yesterday the Warhawk and C-47 left for airshows...not many pilots around right now due to the airshow circut.....1 day late, sorry

moose135
2007-06-01, 06:33 PM
Yesterday the Warhawk and C-47 left for airshows...not many pilots around right now due to the airshow circut.....1 day late, sorry

I suspect they were off to Reading for the MidAtlanic Air Museum WWII weekend.

GrummanFan
2007-06-01, 10:57 PM
I heard a C-130 "Snowbird" from the 109th in Albany stopped by around 1:30pm today, anyone catch that? Its got an orange tail and is parked by the main hanger.

nikon50bigma
2007-06-01, 11:18 PM
I heard a C-130 "Snowbird" from the 109th in Albany stopped by around 1:30pm today, anyone catch that? Its got an orange tail and is parked by the main hanger.
Nah, I left the museum at around 11am.
It would have been nice to see it though. Was it in for refueling or doing stuff from last week's show?

GrummanFan
2007-06-01, 11:25 PM
It would have been nice to see it though. Was it in for refueling or doing stuff from last week's show?

I have no idea, probably just passing through. Thats what's great about FRG, you get these random planes that come through every once and a while.

Derf
2007-06-01, 11:30 PM
yep, same plane I got last week.... nice plane, ok pics. I liked how he BACKED UP THE AIRCRAFT to the terminal!
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155607054-L.jpg

nikon50bigma
2007-06-02, 08:46 PM
Nice shot, btw do you know where I can get flight tickets for the D-Day thing at FRG?