PDA

View Full Version : F14 at FRG??

h2opunk1822
2007-05-30, 02:24 AM
a friend of mine told me that he saw a f-14 take off from frg today?? can anyone confirm this?.. he also said that someone on the airport has a private one in one of the hangars (black and silver) i find that part truely hard to believe.. but i can be wrong.. all he said is he saw it take off.. then after t/o the wings swept back and it was gone, had 2 engines, 2 vertical stabilizers. I figure if anyone would know of this it would be you guys.

moose135
2007-05-30, 07:52 AM
That would be quite a trick! The only F-14 at FRG will sadly never fly again, it's an empty shell of an airplane parked over at the Airpower Musuem (Actually in the hangar right now). And a private one? I don't think so. The bird at the museum was the last Tomcat flying, she was retired last October.

There were 2 F-18s at FRG for the airshow this weekend, both were two-seaters, twin engine, twin tails, that is most likely what your friend saw, just got confused about the wings sweeping back after take off.

Derf
2007-05-30, 08:34 AM
Sorry, but to see a Tomcat fly....you need to go to Iran. This is becuase the U.S. has no flight worthy F-14's. As nice as the info your friend gave you, He was mistaken. The only thing that was around Farmingdale this weekend with swept wings woudl be the B-1B that did a flyover, but he never swept the wings over KFRG.

I wish your friend was right... Are you sure he was not hitting the sauce in the 56th fighter bar?

I wish I was wrong! Here is what happened to that F-14 at KFRG

Here is a video I made of the Last U.S. Tomcat Flight, October 4th 2006
http://fromtheflightdeck.com/VideoLIW/F-14-640.wmv

Nick
2007-05-31, 12:05 AM
Don't listen to that guy anymore, there are people who love to say any loud Fighter is a F-14, some guy at the gas station told me the Blue's were in town for the show, along with some F-14's. That's when I tuned him out, some people just don't know. I couldn't tell you what half ( or more ) of the airliners are on the board, that's why I try to keep my yap shut when I don't know.

h2opunk1822
2007-05-31, 12:43 AM
Thats pretty much what i thought!.. i knew i was right and i figured if i didnt hear about it here that he was wrong. Trust me.. i wish as much as everyone else that the cat was still flying..