PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Spotting Also "by the Numbers"?

shamrock838
2007-05-19, 11:45 PM
Greetings,

From what I’ve seen of this fine forum … it seems that NYCA is largely composed of photographer-type aviation enthusiasts/spotters … as am I.

After meeting up with a trio of Britons at JFK earlier this month (see my post earlier today: “A Happy Encounter at JFK …”) … I got to thinking if anyone here is also into the aircraft registration number scene … or is this primarily a European phenomenon?

Through these “chaps” (yes … it can be catching … LOL) … I now check aircraft registration numbers for the aircraft I photograph via the Google/FAA connection … to verify manufacturer, model, and other interesting aircraft information specifics. Works like a charm with our domestic “N” aircraft as I’m still honing my recognition knowledge of aircraft manufacturers and model designations. Non-US registration numbers lead me to airliners.net where I usually find color photos of the actual aircraft I photographed with pertinent information including verified registration numbers. Neat-o!

Indeed … have any of you had experience with air-britain.com? My curiosity was piqued through the aforementioned “Happy Encounter.”

I’m wondering if there are even other aircraft spotter websites/forums on this side of “the Pond” (oops … there I go again) having members who do this type of spotting. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

tipek
2007-05-20, 12:24 AM
I used to do that, but after couple of years I wanted to have photo proof and since then I collect fleets.
Each year I take around 90-100K pictures. That comes to around 10 000 different registrations and that comes to only 1000-2000 new frames.
Each year I get less and less new frames.
Spotting for frames is silly for me now. If I don't have picture of particular aircraft it doesnt exist :)

Rafal

cancidas
2007-05-20, 02:01 AM
i guess reg spotters are rare. i to date have only met one when i was at DCA/IAD a few years ago for the weekend meetup. for a while i logged registrations of coproate aircraft moving though LGA, but have stopped since.

hiss srq
2007-05-20, 02:06 AM
I see them alot over at hoBe actually with these massive telescopes. I'd much rather capture the moment and the reg at once with a camera myself though.