PDA

View Full Version : Is this usable?

nwafan20
2007-05-17, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, this was an edit I did a while back, didn't really have time to upload (I also forgot about it). I know its not the best edit, I am planning on doing a re-edit, or should I not bother? Will it get hit for motive or possibly some other flaw? Will it get nailed because further down the plane it is out of focus (due to a smaller aperture)? Sorry for all my "HELP" posts recently, im trying to perfect my editing:

Also, im leaning towards un-savable, due to out of focus, and possible motive? If you guys don't think it is salvageable, is the motive ok for further reference?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/MCO4-12.jpg

nwafan20
2007-05-17, 12:44 AM
also, what do you guys think about this one? Again sorry for the constant "is it good" posts:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/MCO4-13.jpg

hiss srq
2007-05-17, 01:39 AM
Well there are recognizable faces in the latter one. I think it would get rejected for that reason personally.

moose135
2007-05-17, 01:48 AM
I think I would like the first one if you didn't cut off the landing gear at such an awkward spot. I don't mind the missing tail, but the gear parts just don't look right. The second one looks low in the frame, also I think you should crop off more on the left side - crop it to the left of the logo, but don't leave that piece of MLG in the shot.

nwafan20
2007-05-17, 01:49 AM
Is that really a reson that they can be rejected? I never knew that...

hiss srq
2007-05-17, 02:00 AM
I do not know for sure. This is something I have heard but do not hold me to it.

NIKV69
2007-05-17, 07:49 AM
First one is badmotiv, badcrop, badquality and is a tad blurry.

Second one is a bit better quaity and touch sharper but you have motiv and people issues.

T-Bird76
2007-05-17, 08:39 AM
Forgetting the rest of the first pic it’s blurry so that's where it ends. The second one looks good, a touch sharper not too much though. There are no people issues. I'm guessing Nick is speaking from A.net terms where they don't feel capturing the entire event counts, but w/e.

NIKV69
2007-05-17, 09:18 AM
I'm guessing Nick is speaking from A.net terms where they don't feel capturing the entire event counts, but w/e.

I am not sure that is their logic behind the people rejection but if you want to settle for JP's standards that is fine. Some choose otherwise.

T-Bird76
2007-05-17, 11:16 AM
I'm guessing Nick is speaking from A.net terms where they don't feel capturing the entire event counts, but w/e.

I am not sure that is their logic behind the people rejection but if you want to settle for JP's standards that is fine. Some choose otherwise.

Nick I have to say you really need to get off the entire A.net vs. JP.net thing there are a lot of other things in life. This is a hobby; it’s a hobby where you go out to enjoy aviation. Yes your motives might be to get views and yes it’s a nice feeling to have a lot of people look at your pictures but drop the debate already.

You don't like jP.net fine but stop shoving it down people's throat already about standards. Because you know dam well you can find some pretty crappy pictures on both sites, even as of recent, i.e. a backlit blurry A380 and an unlevel dark SR71. You can say what you want about standards but the fact of the matter is both sites are highly successful.

NIKV69
2007-05-17, 11:32 AM
Nick I have to say you really need to get off the entire A.net vs. JP.net thing there are a lot of other things in life. This is a hobby; it’s a hobby where you go out to enjoy aviation. Yes your motives might be to get views and yes it’s a nice feeling to have a lot of people look at your pictures but drop the debate already.

Actually Tommy it was you that started the anet bashing with your comment about their "not wanting to capture the entire event". Those comments are not only old but tired as well. Where if you look at the pic in question the photog would have done himself better to wait the 30 seconds for the ramper to disconnect the tug and not be in the picture. I would be willing to bet most people (outside of anet) would find that more pleasing to the eye. Remember our hobby is called "Aviation photography" not people photography. That person in the pic was basically clutter and I would hope even your site would reject that and not stand on this "it's a hobby" ritual. You yourself upload to anet for the views and if you say otherwise you would be less than geniune. We all like it when people look at our photos and it's not an anet thing. It is a photography thing. You would do the people here more of a favor by giving them some productive advice so their work would improve and not just fall back on the "hobby" propaganda. I think if you did the quality of pictures here would improve.

T-Bird76
2007-05-17, 11:42 AM
Nick the subject of the second photo is still the plane and in no way the person. The event is a plane being pushed back and part of that event is a person who needs to release the tow pin.

mirrodie
2007-05-17, 12:05 PM
nwafan, I'll skip the current Anet bash ;)

When I first opened the thread, what leapt out at me was the overall soft focus. I do not think you can edit beyond that. The first one is for your collection. I love the ambience of the AirTran pic.

As far as motive goes,....pure bull**** all around. People forget that photography is an art. Motive is some technological aspect thrown in try and standardize an art. The entire event does in fact count and tells a story. Otherwise, IMHO, its just a plain picture of an airplane.

Also, not a rant but a fact. Some here are stating the people are recognizable and thus the photo is no good. The easy solution is to blur the people's faces with Photoshop. I'm sure it could be done somehow, right. So then, what can be proposed, on an unethical level, is to use PS to circumvent a rule about recognizable faces. Is Anet or Jpnet perhaps driving people to do such things? Who knows. Regardless, I applaud you and enjoy seeing your photos and their content.

I love both of your photos.....and if I owned an av photo website, they'd be welcome.

nwafan20
2007-05-17, 03:06 PM
Well thanks guys,

Yeah, after reviewing the first pic, that is a personal collection one.

Now to try to sort thru all the Anet vs. jp.net bashing, can we compile a list of changes that should be made? From what I have read:

a tad more sharp
move it higher in the frame (I thought it was about even in the frame)
crop out the MLG

Anything else/do you disagree with any of that?

Also, for my views on A.net vs. JP.net:

Yeah, Anet vs. JP.net is almost as big of a debate as Boeing Vs. Airbus! And the "rejections" argument is not completely valid, since I know some people who have had their shots accepted to Anet that have been rejected to JP.net (But JP.net tends to accept more shots)

Some like one over the other, I find there are positives and negatives to both.

Here is my personal opinion on positives and negatives:

Anet:
POSITIVES:
(No bashing this please, personal observation): Tends to have slightly more high quality photos, not always, but that tends to be the trend.
Better layout IMO
Bigger community
larger forums and news article section

NEGATIVES:
HUGE upload queue time! (Usually more than 2 weeks, I have waited over a month!)
inconsistency in acceptance/rejection of photos (Both are guilty of this)
Slightly slower server
Most pictures are of Europe, which gets sort of old.
Over-moderated forum and strict rules
Charging for use of forums

JP.net

POSITIVES:
QUICK queue time! (usually 4 days or less)
Fairly fast server
Now has free forums from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong, but I was able to post w/o paying anything...)
Not as congested as Anet
more laid back moderators (IMO)
Tom is a screener (Although, this lowers my acceptance rates significantly! )

NEGATIVES:
again, just like Anet, inconstant reject/accept standards
Usually a lower acceptance standard
not as big of a community

So really, it is your personal choice, I like both pretty equally. I upload more to JP.net because I hate the 2+ week screening procedure of A.net. Whenever I have a photo waiting to be screened on either site, I get nervous

Again, you will get an opinion out of everyone here, these are just my opinions. I feel one is not better than the other and vice versa.

I would try some uploads to JP.net if I were you.

http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewto ... liners+net (http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5817&highlight=jetphotos+net+airliners+net)

nwafan20
2007-05-22, 10:52 PM
How about this one? I have a feeling it might be underexposed but would like a second opinion. Also, since Gordo and I had an editing competition to edit this photo, he says that it is unlevel. I leveled it via the taxiways and runways behind it and checked it as level with those. But I probably have problems with this and don't see it, is it level and is it underexposed? Also again, as status quo, throw out any other problems you see with it.:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/SpottngIND24-1.jpg

Oh, and since Gordo claims his is soo much better, here it is...

CAUTION... MAY BURN YOUR RETINA!!! FAIR WARNING ;)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/userj70thaler.jpg

nwafan20
2007-05-22, 10:56 PM
Double post...

nwafan20
2007-05-23, 09:42 PM
Could someone PLEASE give me feedback..

Actually mods, it might be an interesting idea to have a "photo edit feedback" sticky... That way people who want advice can get it, and people who want to give advice can give it.

stuart schechter
2007-05-23, 10:21 PM
Gordon, sorry. Matt wins. You can read the words on your edit, not in Gordon's. You may get an overexposed on Gordo's.

T-Bird76
2007-05-23, 10:34 PM
First one is dark, second one is overblown.

nwafan20
2007-05-23, 10:40 PM
Yeah, thats what I thought, I will boost the brightness on it.

nwafan20
2007-05-23, 10:45 PM
Alright, changed some shadow/highlights and boosted the brightness, what do you guys think?:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/SpottngIND24-2.jpg

T-Bird76
2007-05-23, 10:47 PM
That looks better, just watch the angle, I might have waited until she turn more to the right or came closer.