PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen the new Boeing commercials?

mirrodie
2007-05-16, 04:43 PM
So I have a question. The last few nights I have been watching the National Geographic Channel. I've been seeing these commercials for the Boeing Company.

Now here is the thing. What are they advertising? And to what end and what audience? Boeing's only other MAJOR competition is Airbus. And its not like the CEO's of the airlines are going to be looking for commercials for advertising to help them tip their decision. And it's not as if Airbus is pumping out commercials toting their product as being better.

Those airlines are going to make their decisions of sales based on probably the airshows, right? And so if that is the case, who is the advertising aimed at? To what end? educating stockholders? New Jobs/opportunity? Being "Green"?

What do you think?

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-16, 04:46 PM
I think they are general public service announcements to keep the public in the know about what they are working on, so their name doesn't pop up as targets in environmental campaigns going after companies that contribute to greenhouse gases.

T-Bird76
2007-05-16, 04:52 PM
It’s not a public service announcement since Boeing doesn't provide any public services to the public. Many companies simply advertise their name with no intention of advertising a product or a service but to simply remind people what they do. Many of Boeing's products are funded with public money and it’s good to keep your name in the publics mind.

Personally I love the commercials. The tag line "Forever new frontiers" is great.

mirrodie
2007-05-16, 05:07 PM
I like those commercials too. Was just wondering their undelying purpose. Thanks. :)

nwafan20
2007-05-16, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I love the commercials and the products.

I think it has to do a lot with just keeping the name in good light.

pgengler
2007-05-16, 09:38 PM
I think it's a lot like the commercials that were airing a few months back about GE's "Evolution" series locomotives. It's pretty obvious that you're not likely to sway anyone sitting at home, watching TV, to get off the fence and buy a locomotive, but like others have said, it gets their name out there, especially in connection with being good and "green".

Matt Molnar
2007-05-17, 12:38 AM
In addition to brand awareness, these campaigns are meant to build investor awareness as well. United Technologies has been running radio commercials touting their various brands that sell stuff that individuals simply don't buy (Pratt & Whitney engines, Sikorsky helicopters, Hamilton Sundstrand space suits, Otis Elevators). One commercial specifically mentions how investing in UT can help you on Wall St. Now they've started some poster advertising on LIRR with some BEAUTIFUL illustrations, one is of a Sikorsky chopper and another a P&W engine.

cancidas
2007-05-17, 04:53 PM
for someone who doesn't watch tv, i obviously missed them. anyone know if they've ended up on youtube? on a side note, i have a 772LR ad from the nytimes that i found a few years ago and framed. does anyone know if boeing still advertises in print? i have an empty space on my wall and have been looking at something easy to aquire to fill it up.

nwafan20
2007-05-17, 05:20 PM
yeah, the only version I could find had a whole bunch of crap propaganda tied to it, so just ignore that:

BiLhapHWd9g

AirtrafficController
2007-05-17, 05:53 PM
787 arriving 7/08/07

Winglets747
2007-05-17, 06:12 PM
Boeing definitely does this for PR. They advertise in The Times, Wall Street Journal, and a lot in The Economist. I think it's to get the public interested in Boeing commercial planes, which is why most of the ads emphasize passenger-related things, e.g. for the 787: larger windows, better cabin design, etc.; 737: most popular aircraft; 777-200LR: more non-stop opportunities.

The public sees these positive images and without knowing much else, forms a positive view of Boeing planes and airlines that use them.

I have friends who are not at all interested in aviation yet think the 787 is awesome because of the larger windows, etc. The A350? They know nothing about it.

One of the most interesting Boeing ad locations was an MTA-owned LCD screen outside the Union Square station advertising the 787 a year ago.

AirtrafficController
2007-05-17, 06:14 PM
cool, yea it seems the A350 is a copy of the 787 hence its unpopular so far

Winglets747
2007-05-17, 09:30 PM
Uh the point of my post was that non-aviation people, in my experience, are aware of the 787 simply because the 787 is being advertised and other planes aren't. (The occasional ad for the 737, 747-8, or 777 doesn't compare to all the 787's advertising.)

Your statement, however, is in fact quite accurate in the larger scheme of things. :twisted: