PDA

View Full Version : Determining Active Runways in Advance ... Myth? ... Reality?

shamrock838
2007-05-13, 02:18 AM
Greetings,

Well … I'd like to know this at least on the morning of the field trip. Of course the predicted winds are all we have to go on … yes? I’ve gone to a site according to the weather forecast … only to find the winds had veered or backed and the arrival and takeoff runways were changed accordingly. Having automotive transportation can overcome this in fairly short order. Not being that mobile … like moi who depends of public transportation and his own two feet … it’s quite another story.

I’m most familiar with LGA … since I live nearby … and I’ve seen takeoffs on runway 13 while arrivals were using runway 22 ... about a 90-degree shift in bearing. This is not unusual and can happen with other runway combos at LGA. Why these “split-runway” assignments?

Just yesterday (05/12) I was out at McNeil Park in College Point observing landings and takeoffs on runway 4 since the wind was from the NE. So I wanted to get over to Plane View Park off the Grand Central Parkway at the SW end of LGA runway 4 to catch those dramatic landings.

I had to take three buses to do this (Q25/65-Q66-Q33) via Flushing. Before I even reached Flushing I saw that takeoffs and landings were now using runway 22 … the exact opposite from 20-30 minutes earlier as the wind was now from the SW. So when I finally got to Plane View Park … I wasn’t seeing those dramatic lo-level landings … but far less exciting takeoffs.

Have any of you regulars developed a system … or systems … for coping with changing runway assignments? Does time of the day play a role here? What about the afternoon sea breeze effect that I feel even on the streets of Flushing ... but is much more prominent at JFK … as it’s much nearer the ocean?

Indeed … is there any way to predict/foresee changes in winds and runways assignments on a given day for LGA and JFK … the only airports I frequent?

Thanks,

Mike (shamrock838)

moose135
2007-05-13, 02:24 AM
I don't know that it will help predict changes, but do you ever call the ATIS number to see what runways are in use? You can call the numbers below and get the same ATIS recording that is broadcast for pilots. It will give you weather conditions and active runway.

LGA 718-478-6118
JFK 718-995-8188

shamrock838
2007-05-13, 02:30 AM
I don't know that it will help predict changes, but do you ever call the ATIS number to see what runways are in use? You can call the numbers below and get the same ATIS recording that is broadcast for pilots. It will give you weather conditions and active runway.

LGA 718-478-6118
JFK 718-995-8188

Being the newbie I am ... I never knew this service existed. THANK YOU!

Ach so! So much to learn about all this.

Mike (shamrock838)

cancidas
2007-05-13, 04:55 AM
i cheat, i'm a pilot so i just pick up the forecast and go from there. then again, listening to ATIS guy is helpful too!

stuart schechter
2007-05-13, 10:06 AM
Bring a scanner and just input the ATIS freq. Easier than calling.

AirtrafficController
2007-05-13, 02:42 PM
wow thanks moose finnaly when im headed to planespot i dont have to rely on passur

shamrock838
2007-05-13, 09:12 PM

Greetings ...

Can you elab a bit on scanners ... and scanning ... re the ATIS frequency ... or at least point me in some promising directions?

Is Radio Shack a logical place to check? Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

nwafan20
2007-05-13, 09:54 PM
Radio shack is a great place to get a scanner, I got mine there.

You would probably want a hand held one. It will run you anywhere from $75 for a cheap one, to upwards of $300 for a high quality one.

Got mine on clearance for about $65. It works great!

What you do with them, is put in the freq, you can listen to police, fire, aircraft (Tower, ground control, ATIS, centers, ect.). It works great!

stuart schechter
2007-05-13, 10:03 PM
I got a cheap one for $99 the PRO-82. Holds 200 channels and it has ultra quick frequency scanning.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049661&cp=2032052.2032072&allCount=14&fbn=Brand%2FRadioShack&f=Brand%2F1000094%2F&fbc=1&parentPage=family

shamrock838
2007-05-14, 09:01 PM

Well ... I went to Radio Shack after work this evening and walked out with my first ever handheld scanner ... a Pro 82 ... plus AC adapter and a Ni-Cad 4-battery pack plus charger.

Now I have to learn all this works!

For starters ... can you supply the ATIS frequencies for LGA and JFK. Then maybe I can figure out how to listen to them and all the other stuff.

I'm also looking for some published v-e-r-y b-a-s-i-c stuff on aviation scanning in general. Might there be anything online as well?

Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

moose135
2007-05-14, 09:42 PM
Take a look at AirNav.com -

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Type in the airport identifier (KJFK, KLGA) and you will get all the information you could ever want about the airport - runway diagrams, operations info, all the radio frequencies (ATIS, tower, approach/departure, navaids, etc.)

For some good general scaner info, check out the Long Island Area Scanning Resouces page. The "General Info" link has some interesting information on scanners, as well as extensive lists of scanner frequencies used in the metro
area for aviation, police, fire, you name it.

http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/li-freqs.html

I've had a scanner for about 10 years (an old Uniden), although I don't actually use it much when spotting.

shamrock838
2007-05-16, 09:00 PM
Take a look at AirNav.com -

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Type in the airport identifier (KJFK, KLGA) and you will get all the information you could ever want about the airport - runway diagrams, operations info, all the radio frequencies (ATIS, tower, approach/departure, navaids, etc.)

Moose 135,

WOW ... you are so right. There's probably more data then I'll ever need.

OK ... I have a new Radio Shack Pro-82 ... my first scanner ever ... which I'm starting to learn.

I picked up the LGA ATIS though the signal was faint. I couldn't raise JFK ATIS at all. Hmmm.

Is there a distance factor for optimum reception? I live near downtown Flushing about 1-2 miles from the end of LGA runway 13. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

nwafan20
2007-05-16, 09:35 PM
The closer you are, the easier the signal will come.

moose135
2007-05-17, 01:29 AM
I picked up the LGA ATIS though the signal was faint. I couldn't raise JFK ATIS at all. Hmmm.

Is there a distance factor for optimum reception? I live near downtown Flushing about 1-2 miles from the end of LGA runway 13. Thanks.

The problem with listening to the ATIS broadcast at home is all the "stuff" between you and the airport. For the most part, pillots listening will either be on the airfield, or in flight with few or no obstructions between the aircraft and the signal. For the same reason, you may have problems hearing ATC, while the aircraft will come in much better. When you are at or near the airport, you should pick up ground communcations much better.

shamrock838
2007-05-17, 01:47 AM
[quote="The problem with listening to the ATIS broadcast at home is all the "stuff" between you and the airport. For the most part, pillots listening will either be on the airfield, or in flight with few or no obstructions between the aircraft and the signal. For the same reason, you may have problems hearing ATC, while the aircraft will come in much better. When you are at or near the airport, you should pick up ground communcations much better.[/quote]

So then I guess having those two ATIS phone numbers (LGA and JFK respectively) ... which you kindly supplied ... with a cell phone is the best overall way to go when figuring in advance which runways to monitor. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

tipek
2007-05-17, 07:13 PM
Did you ever concidered checking weather site on the internet? Thats what I do before I even hit the road.
Its hard to rely on websites for accurate weather (cloudy, sunny etc.), but the winds are pretty much very accurate.

Rafal

AirtrafficController
2007-05-17, 07:59 PM
yea planes always land into the wind and so do take-offs

shamrock838
2007-05-17, 10:47 PM
Did you ever concidered checking weather site on the internet? Thats what I do before I even hit the road.
Its hard to rely on websites for accurate weather (cloudy, sunny etc.), but the winds are pretty much very accurate.
Rafal

Actually that's the first place I looked. But then I was at McNeil Park in College Point recently looking over to LGA. Traffic was landing and taking off steadily on runway 4 with the wind out of the NE.

In less than 30 minutes the wind apparently shifted 180 degrees to the SW since they were landing and taking off on runway 22. That's a lot of wind shift in an awfully short time ...

In fact I was on my way over to Plane View Park to catch the landings on 4 ... and ended up catching the takeoffs. Go figure.

Mike (shamrock838)

PS - Now I check the airport ATIS recordings either by scanner or cell phone.