PDA

View Full Version : EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) as a passenger on an airline

CSSZiegler
2007-05-09, 11:33 PM
Would I be able to use a Class 2 EFB on an airliner?

Sam

T-Bird76
2007-05-09, 11:54 PM
Well i guess the first question is why?

CSSZiegler
2007-05-09, 11:59 PM
to learn how to use it so when i'm in my own plane i know how to use it already instead of while i'm flying being distracted on navigating through it

Matt Molnar
2007-05-10, 10:27 AM
It's probably not illegal but I think the TSA would be freaked out, and if you made it onto the plane with it, the cabin crew and fellow passengers would probably be none too receptive either.

hiss srq
2007-05-10, 10:29 AM
I do not know about that. I think the average passenger lacks enough marbels to figure out it is flightrelated untill it screams out at you in the first place and beleive it or not most F/A's know quite a bit about what we use upfront that I know.

RDU-JFK
2007-05-10, 10:29 AM

Sam

Sorry to plead ignorance, but what is an EFB?

cancidas
2007-05-10, 11:04 AM

Sam

if you own it, i don't see why not. you would, however, get a lot of strange looks from everyone around you. TSA wouldn't really know about it unless you told them. best bet would be to keep it in your flight bag. also, as long as you're carrying your certificates with you you'll have no problems with security.

Midnight Mike
2007-05-10, 11:32 AM

Sam

Ask ahead of time, it is an electronic type device, most people would have no idea what it is, the problem could be if somebody with some aviation experience sees what you have & complains to either the TSA, or the Flight Crew members on the airline.

I gotta admit, if I saw you with the EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) I would be a little curious as to what you were doing with it and would certainly raise the question.....

If you did want to do this, make sure that you have your US Passport & pilot license with you...

CSSZiegler
2007-05-10, 12:04 PM
its amazing that even when a certified EFB is legal with all the certifications that come with it, and including my passport and pilot certificate, people would still give me problems