PDA

View Full Version : L-1011 Incident at LGA Back In The Day

PhilDernerJr
2007-04-28, 08:49 PM
I met a man recently who told me about a wild incident at LGA involving a Delta L-1011. He told me that one had landed on rwy 4 with no nose hear.

I wasn't sure if he was exagerrating until he gave me a 4x6 picture of it....a DL L-1011 sitting what seems to be jsut past the runway intersection with no nose wheel.....just a 5 foot stub of metal that brought the plane to a stop.

I'm hoping to get to show this pic to some of you soon. I don't want to scan it without his permission, but it's really wild.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm dying to learn more.

NYCMedic
2007-04-28, 10:30 PM
Airliners.net has a page of TWA,Delta, and Eastern Tri-Stars on the ground and landing at LGA. A few carriers including National, United, and American also flew DC 10-10's in and out of LGA. I've heard that Lockeed and McDonnell Douglas specifically designed their A/C to be able to utilize LGA. I don't know about the specific nose wheel incident you are asking about, but I do know a guy was crushed to death by the nose gear of a Delta L-1011 in the late 90's

DHG750R
2007-04-28, 10:41 PM
Yup,
It stopped right at the intersection of 4-22 and 13-31. The nose gear was intact prior to landing but partially sheared off at touchdown.

Closed the field for several hours

PhilDernerJr
2007-04-28, 11:35 PM
That actually sounds like it might be it. How'd someone get crushed to death by it? Where was he?

NYCMedic
2007-04-30, 04:23 PM
The GSR crushed by the L-1011 at LGA was working on the ramp. It wasn't the same incident that you were originally asking about. Also does anyone know if the much storied 777 with "fold-up" wing tips actually exists? I heard years ago that this was a brain child of Boeing to try and sell more A/C. I have also heard that the Boeing 787-3 will be designed with a shorter wingspan to accomodate LGA....... anyone know?

T-Bird76
2007-04-30, 04:30 PM
The fold up wings is an option on the 777 however no one to this date has ordered it. Yes it was designed for LGA ops but I don't think we'll ever see a 777 at LGA.

DHG750R
2007-04-30, 06:10 PM
The GSR crushed by the L-1011 at LGA was working on the ramp. It wasn't the same incident that you were originally asking about. Also does anyone know if the much storied 777 with "fold-up" wing tips actually exists? I heard years ago that this was a brain child of Boeing to try and sell more A/C. I have also heard that the Boeing 787-3 will be designed with a shorter wingspan to accomodate LGA....... anyone know?

I believe the person killed by the DL nosegear was at JFK .

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i ... 7619&key=1 (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X07619&key=1)

Also the 787-3 will have a wingspan of 170' which is equal to the 767-400ER
The 787-8/9 will have a wingspan of 197' which is a bit too big for LGA

The non-ER B777 was originally offered with the folding wingtips to allow use at LGA however no airline ordered it , It's no longer available . It was only offered on the non-ER as the outer part of the wing was "dry" and contained no fuel. The ER used this part of the wing as a fuel tank so it wasnt offered there.

When doing a search on the Boeing website , I found this interesting note about the 747LCF

"Two pull-in actuators and numerous latches are involved in the proprietary system that opens, closes and locks the swing tail in place, Whiteman says. The latches, originally designed for a proposed folding wing on the Boeing 777, will be activated only by the ground support equipment and are specially designed to assure that the swing tail always is latched and locked when in service."

hiss srq
2007-04-30, 08:28 PM
The Delta nosegear was indeed at JFK. If I am not mistaken she was pushing out for CDG an d the nose gear ran over the wire running to the com panel. The comm. guy got pulled under as a result.