PDA

View Full Version : U.S Airways to dump A350 order, goes with 787

T-Bird76
2007-04-25, 08:57 AM
In what looks like another blow to the A350 project...

US Airways drops Airbus deal to take off with Boeing
The loss of the $3.7 billion contract with US Airways follows Virgin's switch from Airbus to BoeingDavid Robertson in Chicago
Airbus will receive another blow this week when US Airways ditches a $3.7 billion (£1.85 billion) order in favour of the aircraft manufacturer’s American rival, Boeing.

The Times understands that US Airways will announce an order for between 20 and 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliners within the next 48 hours. The deal will be worth between $3.2 billion and $4.9 billion at list prices.

The low-cost carrier had previously ordered 20 A350s from Airbus but has opted to go with Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner instead.

The 787, a twin-aisle plane that is between the 737 and 747 in size, is the fastest-selling commercial jet ever, with over 540 orders worth a total of $88 billion at list prices.

Boeing won another customer at the expense of Airbus yesterday when Sir Richard Branson, chairman of Virgin Atlantic, bought the 787 ahead of the A350. The Virgin order was for up to 43 jets worth $8 billion and will replace its existing Airbus fleet.

The A350 was redesigned last year after airlines told the manufacturer that its offering was not as good as Boeing’s 787. US Airways had been expected to upgrade to the A350XWB, as the new design is called, but it has instead shifted allegiance to Boeing.

Part of Airbus’s problem with the A350 is that it has only just left the drawing board, while Boeing will fly the first 787 later this year. Airlines are opting to buy an aircraft that is reality rather than one that still only exists on paper.

US Airways was hit hard by the collapse in the aviation sector after 9/11 and entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in August, 2002. It was bought by America West in 2005 and is now looking for long-haul aircraft to fly international and transcontinental routes.

RDU-JFK
2007-04-25, 09:04 AM
Wow--and I thought US Airways were committed to the Airbus. Big news!

cancidas
2007-04-25, 11:24 AM
ABOUT TIME!!

Matt Molnar
2007-04-25, 11:37 AM
I think it's time for Airbus to pack it in.

hiss srq
2007-04-25, 04:18 PM
I hate to break it to you but the rumor mill gave you bogus info. I am not at liberty to say any details past the fact that anything US may be doing is not finalized. Several more weeks is the word being said.

PHL Approach
2007-04-25, 05:22 PM
Im thinking something might be said or hinted tomorrow morning by Doug or Scott during the conference for 1Q earnings release.

Winglets747
2007-04-25, 05:51 PM
On a slightly related note, Airbus is really giving out discounts on the A350.

Emirates is poised to announce an order for 100 A350s next week in a deal that would be worth between $19 billion and $21.5 billion at full price. The discount means that the bill for these aircraft will be about $10 billion, but Emirates is likely to pay even less than that.

Airbus is thought to be giving the airline extra aircraft free as compensation for the two-year delay to the A380, the largest passenger aircraft in production. Industry sources suggest that Emirates will receive a two-for-one deal, effectively cutting a further third off the bill.
Finnair is another airline that has picked up a bargain from Airbus. It ordered A350s before the manufacturer increased the price after a redesign last year. Finnair is understood to have been given the new aircraft at the old price — a difference of about $45 million. Therefore, the nine orders that were converted were discounted by $396 million.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 680645.ece (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article1680645.ece)

PhilDernerJr
2007-04-25, 05:52 PM
I hate to break it to you ...

Great. Your input further enforces the original post's news to me.

hiss srq
2007-04-25, 06:16 PM
48 hours is defineately too soon according to what I have been told by some very high ups in CLT today but you never know. I have been chasing info on that and the 4 airbus order from our neighbors to the north. Doug does not say much lately.